Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

Nebraska governor signs illegal-immigration bill

Nebraska governor signs illegal-immigration bill

Neb. governor signs bill aimed at blocking public benefit distributions to illegal immigrants
    Jean Ortiz
    Wednesday April 8, 2009, 4:31 pm EDT

OMAHA, Neb. -- Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman has signed into law a measure that aims to stop illegal immigrants from getting any public benefits.

At Wednesday's signing, Heineman called the bill a small but important step for the state.

"Nebraska has crafted a targeted and reasonable response that will ensure that benefits from state and local agencies are preserved for those that truly qualify," Heineman said.

It's now time for the federal government to develop a comprehensive solution to the illegal-immigration challenge, he said.

The measure hasn't escaped criticism. Some lawmakers have questioned what the bill will accomplish when federal law already prohibits illegal immigrants from receiving most state benefits.

"I don't know that this bill in the long run will solve specific, drawn-out problems that we have ... but the people wanted us to move and to compromise on something, and that's exactly what happened," Sen. Mike Friend of Omaha said at the signing ceremony.

Lawmakers last week passed the bill that Sen. Russ Karpisek of Wilber had introduced on Heineman's behalf.

Initially, it sought to require that state and local agencies verify that those seeking public benefits are legal residents.

The amended measure will additionally require public employers and contractors to check their employees' legal status once hired, using the federal Internet-based system E-Verify or an equivalent federal system, should it be replaced.

It will not repeal a law that lets some children of illegal immigrants pay in-state tuition rates at a state college or university.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Nebraska- ... 85051.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

GOOD JOB NEBRASKA!!!!

ANY AND ALL STEPS ARE NEEDED!!!

Yaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!! Thank-you Nebraska legislators and governor! My home state - I'm proud and happy.

Now we will need to work on repealing the in-state tuition for illegal aliens. Nebraska is one of only about 10 states that already allow in-state tuition.
    <div>Number*U.S. military*in S.Korea to protect their border with N.Korea: 28,000. Number*U.S. military*on 2000 mile*U.S. southern border to protect ourselves from*the war in our own backyard: 1,200 National Guard.</

Way to go Nebraska!!!!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

finally Nebraska stepped up to the challenge! I was wondering when they would do this since their surrounding states are taking measures to deprive rewards for ILLEGAL ALIENS!

NOW get a fast train for the ILLEGALS out of there
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Great job Nebraska!

Funny what running out of money does to a state's priorities!
    You'd wish the jerks cared more about us in America here LEGALLY.
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This definitely makes me happy I live in Omaha.

Quote Originally Posted by crissy
    This definitely makes me happy I live in Omaha.

I'm happy I live in Maine, I'm just not proud anymore. Chrissy gets to be proud of her state ....
    If Palestine puts down their guns, there will be peace.
    If Israel puts down their guns there will be no more Israel.
    Dick Morris

Crissy welcome to ALIPAC and "W-A" "we will try to make you proud once again for living in Maine
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast