Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

'Nightmare' that wasn't

'Nightmare' that wasn't

By Robert Stacy McCain
    WASHINGTON TIMES
    April 26, 2005

It's over now, the carnage on the Arizona-Mexico border caused by violent right-wing vigilantes. No longer are members of the so-called Minuteman Project shedding the blood and violating the human rights of innocent Mexicans whose only "crime" was illegally trying to enter the United States to earn money for their impoverished families.

Weeks of slaughter and atrocities are now at an end, and the Minuteman vigilantes are going home. Oh, wait a minute. It never happened.

There was no bloodshed during the three weeks when civilian volunteers patrolled the border. No carnage, no human-rights violations, nothing. The closest thing to an "atrocity" was when a volunteer had an illegal immigrant to pose for a photo holding a funny T-shirt. (The horror.)

"Border vigilantes stir fears of violence," was the headline on a March 31 Associated Press article, warning "law-enforcement officials and human-rights advocates are worried about the potential for bloodshed." A California college professor/"human-rights" activist called the border volunteers "domestic terrorists [who] represent a danger to the country."

Rep. Raul Grijalva, Arizona Democrat, sent a letter to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, warning that the Minuteman Project "creates a situation for something violent to occur."

Yet nothing violent occurred. What did occur, both U.S. and Mexican officials agree, is that a few hundred law-abiding Americans did what their government (with an annual budget of more than $2 trillion) said it couldn't do: discourage illegal border crossings.

The lack of vigilante violence in Arizona was the latest (though certainly not the last) in a long history of liberal predictions that failed to materialize. Like name-calling and scandal-hunting, scaremongering is an easy way for liberals to divert attention from the fact they haven't had a workable policy agenda in years.

A partial list of predicted nightmares that never came true:

• In the 1960s, Paul Ehrlich and others predicted tens of millions of people around the world would soon starve to death as a result of overpopulation. It didn't happen, and global fertility rates are now so low (and still falling steadily), that some demographers forecast a decline in world population beginning as soon as 2050.

• In the 1970s, Americans were warned an "energy crisis" meant the world would soon run out of oil. Three decades later, no one predicts exhaustion of the petroleum supply â€â€
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Rep. Raul Grijalva, Arizona Democrat, sent a letter to Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, warning that the Minuteman Project "creates a situation for something violent to occur."
    This guy would rather create a situation where the American taxpayer is subsidizing Mexican citizens. He would think a lot better if he stood up.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Quote Originally Posted by dataman
    This guy would rather create a situation where the American taxpayer is subsidizing Mexican citizens. He would think a lot better if he stood up.
    I'm beginning to think the whole bunch of them would rather fight for the "illegals" than the American people ... perhaps they could send the "illegals" to fight their war instead of the citizens .... I support the war against terrorism, but I don't support 1 million "illegals" for every soldier killed
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Re: 'Nightmare' that wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    'Nightmare' that wasn't

A California college professor/"human-rights" activist called the border volunteers "domestic terrorists [who] represent a danger to the country."
    So the Minutemen are terrorists and the illegal aliens are innocents. Typical retrograde logic of the left -up is down, black is white, good is bad, etc.

This type of thinking undermines the very sanity and soul of our nation. Where do these people come from, Mars?
    When we gonna wake up?

Re: 'Nightmare' that wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamie
    'Nightmare' that wasn't

A California college professor/"human-rights" activist called the border volunteers "domestic terrorists [who] represent a danger to the country."
    So the Minutemen are terrorists and the illegal aliens are innocents. Typical retrograde logic of the left -up is down, black is white, good is bad, etc.

This type of thinking undermines the very sanity and soul of our nation. Where do these people come from, Mars?

I think they've all gone crazy --- could it be terrorists are pumping something through the air conditioning system? that might explain the asinine behavior

Nightmare that Wasn't

Mamie, I love the Mark Twain quote. One of my favorites and oh, so true.
    Just write a few of them and you soon find out.
    When we gonna wake up?

Nightmare That Wasn't

QUOTE from Article: The closest thing to an "atrocity" was when a volunteer had an illegal immigrant to pose for a photo holding a funny T-shirt. (The horror.)

I sure hope that T-shirt read for the illegals "I tried to attach myself like a leach to the Northern nanny but instead all they gave me was this lousy T-shirt!!!"

Great article about the Minute Men and glad you shared it!
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

Re: Nightmare That Wasn't

Quote Originally Posted by noillegalimmigrationannie
    QUOTE from Article: The closest thing to an "atrocity" was when a volunteer had an illegal immigrant to pose for a photo holding a funny T-shirt. (The horror.)

I sure hope that T-shirt read for the illegals "I tried to attach myself like a leach to the Northern nanny but instead all they gave me was this lousy T-shirt!!!"

Great article about the Minute Men and glad you shared it!
    the T-shirt the man was holding read:

“Bryan Barton caught an illegal alien and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.� Bryan Barton was wearing an identical shirt.