Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NM Governor finds ruin, violence along border

Counties to get emergency aid
    Governor finds ruin, violence along border

By Kate Nash
    Tribune Reporter
    August 12, 2005

SANTA FE - Gov. Bill Richardson this morning declared a state of emergency for four southern New Mexico counties, citing a dramatic increase in violence and property damage.

The action frees up $1.75 million in state and federal funding to assist local communities along the U.S.-Mexico border. Three of the counties - Do?a Ana, Hidalgo and Luna - are on the border, while part of the fourth, Grant County, is about 40 miles from Mexico.

Much of the money is expected to go to additional local and State Police law enforcement in the area.

"As governor, I have a responsibility to protect our citizens, property and communities. Recent developments have convinced me that action is necessary, including violence directed at law enforcement, damage to property and livestock, increased drug smuggling and an increase in the number of undocumented immigrants."

Richardson today was in Columbus to announce that the state will spend almost $50,000 on a security fence around the stockyards in that tiny town 3 miles from Mexico.

The goal is to ward off the possible spread of contagious disease by cattle that aren't screened for diseases before the cross the border.

The 11-foot fence with razor wire at the top will replace shorter and flimsier barbed wire fence on the 20-acre site.

The fence, he said, "will replace the rickety border fence that is so full of holes and gaps that trucks and people can cross with no control."

"This fence we are building is critical to ensure food safety," the governor said in written remarks. "We don't want contagious diseases to contaminate our food supply and disrupt our agricultural economy."

Daniel Manzanares, executive director of the New Mexico Livestock Board, said it's hard to quantify how many cattle have illegally crossed in the area, but that the number is at least 100.

"There's no fence in so many areas," he said of the remote sections of Luna County. "People think there is, but there isn't."

Richardson also this morning ordered an assessment of livestock security by the Livestock Board and the state Department of Agriculture.

New Mexico shares nearly 200 miles of border with Mexico.

Columbus-area ranchers say immigrants tear up their fences when they cross the border, often at night, allowing their cattle to get loose or cross into Mexico.

They also say immigrants leave piles of trash on their property, including water bottles, backpacks and abandoned cars.

So far, the state hasn't been able to pinpoint the outbreak of any diseases to Mexican cattle, Manzanares said. He suspects some of carrying bovine tuberculosis into New Mexico in the past.

Cattle pass through the stockyard, right on the border with Palomas, Mexico, for inspection. There is a checkpoint where the U.S. Department of Agriculture inspects cattle for signs of contagious diseases before they enter the United States.

Richardson said he had been asking for federal money for the security fence to no avail.

"There is no question that the federal government has not shown either the commitment or the leadership to deal with border issues. We lack support and resources to properly secure our borders," he said.

Because the stockyard fence is in such disrepair, people also have been able to illegally enter the United States in the area.

"We definitely have concerns about bio security and agro terrorism," said Tim Manning, New Mexico's homeland security adviser.

"There's animal smuggling, but people are smuggled as well," said Manning.

Richardson this morning also toured the border area by helicopter and met with area law enforcement officials and ranchers.

----

biological weapons can be sent across the border through cattle --- THE TROJAN HORSE
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

So, what are you going to do about it, Bill?
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Sixx
    So, what are you going to do about it, Bill?
    he was going to be on Lou Dobbs tonight -- I'll bet he asked him just what you wanted to know
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

CAN'T WAIT!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am so curious if any other network or show will have anything about this on it.
    Oh i know Greta won't or Joe
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

I'll bet troops on the border would shut this crap down in a day or two. Of course that'd be too sane a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by BobC
    I'll bet troops on the border would shut this crap down in a day or two. Of course that'd be too sane a solution.
    your right
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

Quote Originally Posted by BobC
    I'll bet troops on the border will get the attention of Congress too . . .

it's about time these Govenors stood up for the people . . . I know I've been saying for a long time that the survival of our nation depends on the state legislatures and governors, but yesterday I was floored when I saw 3 governors going against the Pentagon on base closings -- 2 governors have filed suits ....

if the governors and legislatures of the states will stand up, we will back them and together we can overturn the 17th amendment, NAFTA, CAFTA, and block FTAA ....

And where's GWB?

At a fund raiser, of course.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I wonder if these Ranchers could sue the US gov't for not protecting them? There must be a way. It seems like the only language our gov't can comprehend is money so we should speak their language. We are paying TAXES and our gov't isn't doing its job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast