Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

NY- Gillibrand's genuine immigration reform push

New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's genuine immigration reform push
    Thursday, April 30th 2009, 2:32 AM

New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand supports comprehensive immigration reform, and is vowing to work in Washington to make it a reality.

The rookie Democratic senator made her position clear during a visit to the Daily News/CUNY Citizenship Now! call-in center Monday.

"Right-sizing America's immigration system is one of the most pressing challenges facing our country, and I am committed to working with the Obama administration to pursue comprehensive reform that treats immigrants fairly and gives them a path to earned citizenship," the young senator said.

Citizenship Now!, a week-long project that ends tomorrow, offers callers free legal advice about applying for citizenship - a fundamental step to becoming integrated into life in the U.S. Now in its sixth year, the project is staffed by 350 volunteers who answer callers' questions in 35 languages.

"Gillibrand's stance is a big deal," said Allan Wernick, director of CUNY's Citizenship and Immigration Project, a Daily News immigration advice columnist and the driving force behind the Citizenship Now! project. "It is a really big deal when someone who was a restrictionist comes out for immigration reform."

This is particularly true if - as in the case of Gillibrand - that someone has the power to change the tone and substance of the contentious debate in Washington.

Less than a month after her appointment to the Senate, Gillibrand expressed a change of heart on the immigration issue. Many were not convinced, wondering whether she was just a political opportunist reaching for votes.

"I understand now how hard this can be for a lot of people," she told a skeptical group of Hispanic leaders in New York this past February. They left the meeting favorably impressed, but kept a wait-and-see attitude.

The 42-year-old former congresswoman was appointed by Gov. Paterson on Jan. 23 to fill Hillary Clinton's Senate seat after her confirmation as secretary of state. Gillibrand, who hails from a conservative upstate district, had a reputation for a tough, repressive approach to immigration.

Not surprisingly, her speedy conversion wasn't easy for some to believe. But by February, Gillibrand already was committed to supporting a moratorium on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids, and promised to co-sponsor the DREAM Act - which would allow undocumented immigrant students to apply for legal status. She no longer opposes a path to citizenship.

If doubts still lingered about Gillibrand's sincerity, the freshman senator's visit to Citizenship Now! goes a long way to dispel them.

"America was built by the contributions of immigrants and our diversity only adds to the greatness of this country," she told the volunteers. "I'm eager to be helpful."

"I think it was real good of her to come out in full support of immigration reform," Wernick said. "She did not have to do it."

It also is good for Gillibrand, who could end up being rewarded for her strong position on immigration reform come Election Day.

A NEW New York Times/CBS poll asked whether undocumented immigrants should "be allowed to stay in their jobs, and to eventually apply for U.S. citizenship;" "allowed to stay in their jobs only as temporary guest workers, but not to apply for citizenship;" or "required to leave their jobs and leave the U.S."

As usual, the majority chose common sense over the fear-mongering of the Lou Dobbses and Bill O'Reillys of this world: 44% chose a path to citizenship, 21% chose temporary legal status, and only 30% supported a requirement to leave the U.S.

It wasn't love at first sight for New York's junior senator and the city's immigrant community, but their relationship seems to have developed into a mutually beneficial one.aruiz@nydaiynews.com

Read more: "New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand's genuine immigration reform push" - http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... EAccucL2&A

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... _push.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ELE

Kirsten Gillibrand Traitor to the American People.

She started out to be Pro-American and then when she got into a higher position in the party, she became a traitor.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I hope she gets voted out in 2010 would serve her right!!!

RED ALERT:AMNESTY IN THE WORKS!!
    "PLEASE TAKE ACTION"
    CONTACT INFORMATION:

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-154674.html
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

She is a Spineless Sellout

A NEW New York Times/CBS poll asked whether undocumented immigrants should "be allowed to stay in their jobs, and to eventually apply for U.S. citizenship;" "allowed to stay in their jobs only as temporary guest workers, but not to apply for citizenship;" or "required to leave their jobs and leave the U.S."
    I have seen push poll results often enough to realize there is something suspect here. Thanks below USPatriot you got it!
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gillibrand is betting the farm she will be re-elected if she is Pro-Illegal,I hope NY voters can see how dishonest Kirsten is and vote her out of office.

The Pro-Illegals DID NOT have the majority in this poll as is reported in this article they simply cannot add.

Only 44 % voted for citizenship,51 % voted against it and another 5 % is missing and I will take a guess it was a I don't know vote for the missing 5 %.
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Right-sizing! Right-sizing!
    That means adjusting and accomodating to the 20 million illegals in this country and slanting government support their way!
    This woman does not represent the citizens of America.

Not surprisingly, her speedy conversion wasn't easy for some to believe. But by February, Gillibrand already was committed to supporting a moratorium on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids, and promised to co-sponsor the DREAM Act - which would allow undocumented immigrant students to apply for legal status. She no longer opposes a path to citizenship.

Unoccupied Southeast Georgia But Not For Much Longer
    "America was built by the contributions of immigrants and our diversity only adds to the greatness of this country," she told the volunteers. "I'm eager to be helpful."

When will this idiotic, corrupt and dishonest wench dispense with the lies parroted by those space, oxygen and taxpayer dollar wasting schmucks on Capital Hell? It was LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, NOT illegal aliens whose contributions who added to the greatness of this country. She is yet another product of the Union, Corporate, Soros, Chamber of Commerce, Mexican government, drug cartel, and UN bought and owned corrupt and filthy piles of manure masquerading as representatives of the American people who shamefully inhabit the cesspool called Washington, DC.
    There is no freedom without the law. Remember our veterans whose sacrifices allow us to live in freedom.

Ah, my old friend Albor is at it again or should I say 'always'? Well here's what I posted to his column:

The less than honorable Sen. Gillibrand flipped on this in less than four days! Ol' Albor mentions how she met with the illegal alien huggers here in Brooklyn but, and this is a BIG BUT, she didn't hold any open forums for ordinary citizens. It is now clear to me that the state of NY and NYC are hostage to the 25 to 30% of the Ultra-liberals here. Everybody else is simply ignored and left without a voice or a choice. I believe if a state wide referendum were allowed 'the people' would vote to end this madness! It might be close though as here in NY voter fraud is so easy most Illegal Aliens would probably be able to vote too. SAD, SAD, SAD!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: NY- Gillibrand's genuine immigration reform push

As usual, the majority chose common sense over the fear-mongering of the Lou Dobbses and Bill O'Reillys of this world: 44% chose a path to citizenship, 21% chose temporary legal status, and only 30% supported a requirement to leave the U.S.
    Can you believe how the OBLers spin this? Because only 30% want mass deportation, they say Americans support "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" (new path to citizenship). They ignore of course way less than half of Americans support this bogus option, and that is is down from the 60% who supported this bogus option 2 years ago.

I say bogus option because the question includes "if the undocumented pay back taxes and learn English". CIR does not require this, instead it only requires 40 hours in an ESL class and FILING taxes, because in the end WE will be paying THEM thanks to the earned income tax credit.

MW
    "I think it was real good of her to come out in full support of immigration reform," Wernick said. "She did not have to do it."
    Yes she did. It was probably part of the deal she made with the Governor for a seat in the U.S. Senate.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn