http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/op ... 582451.php

Saturday, February 17, 2007
Letters: The expanding borders of BofA bank credit
The Feb. 16 Register editorial (previous in OCReg) , "Credit where it's due," is straight out of Yvette Cabrera's playbook.

The editorial defends the Bank of America's decision to give credit cards to persons without Social Security numbers. It is a fairly good bet these persons are in this country illegally. Whether or not BofA is acting legally is a moot point. The fact is it aids and abets the problem of illegal immigration into the United States. Each time normal citizens' trappings (driver's licenses, schooling, medical care, in-state college tuition fees, working, credit cards, etc.) are granted, the argument to grant amnesty to all illegals becomes easier to promote.

The U.S. government will never get a handle on the illegal immigration travesty as long as there is only tacit disapproval from the citizens, businesses and editorial staffs of newspapers in this country. A loud and shrill (not "calm") voice of "no" to illegal immigration is the only thing that will get Congress to act on this monumental issue.

James H. McGee
Orange

Endorsing illegal immigration
After reading the Register's editorial, "Credit where it's due" [Opinion, Feb. 16], I have to give credit to the Register for endorsing people to break the law. Allowing undocumented people who illegally entered and reside in our country to be given the ability to bank using a new method to work around the law is wrong. This issue has nothing to do with race or country of origin but entirely with abiding by the rule of law and order.

The Register should spend more time focusing on encouraging the establishment of solutions to our known illegal aliens rather then encouraging the laws to be ignored by creating provisions to allow people to continue to reside here illegally.

Bill Wotring
Fullerton

A risky business
I'm not a financial expert but common sense tells me that people who enter a country without properly becoming legal citizens, work for cash, use Social Security numbers that aren't theirs and take unfair advantage of all the services offered are not exactly model citizens who pay their bills and try to maintain good credit ratings. Does Bank of America really think the charges are going to be paid in a timely manner, if at all?

I recently reactivated my Bank of America Visa and I was sent a seven page credit-card agreement. I could hardly get through it and I'm certain those who are receiving credit cards without benefit of citizenship will not even give it a second glance. What a disappointment that a huge company has made such an unwise decision.

Barbara Shepard
Huntington Beach

Patronizing patter
I, too, confess to befuddlement about the anger directed at Bank of America on its new policy to issue credit cards to "Spanish-speaking people" who do not have Social Security cards. Why isn't the Register angry as well?

The Register continues to ignore the fact that the vast majority of its readers are fed up with both government and business-creating magnet programs for illegal immigrants. We are also fed up with the constant news and editorial support for illegal immigration as well. Calm down? I was very calm when I closed all of my BofA accounts yesterday.

Jon Hanson
Dove Canyon

No subtlety in the debate
The thing that irritates me is that anti-illegal immigration writers are so biased in their opinions that they talk as though there is only one side to the equation – theirs. I am as much against the "illegals" as anybody but you can't debate a subject without all the facts. First, Bank of America intends to give credit cards only to people who have bank accounts. Second, Mexicans send millions of dollars to Mexico every year. It seems that anything that encourages them to leave some of it here isn't such a bad idea. Third, the limit is $500 – hardly an earth-shaking amount. We hire these people, let them drive and give them medical care. Why the big deal over a credit card?

As far as encouraging more to come, they keep coming. We are either unwilling or haven't found a way to stop them. I doubt the BofA's giving out a few credit cards is going to change much.

John Waugen
Anaheim

Misplaced blame
Your letter-writers seem eager to condemn Bank of America for offering credit cards to people without Social Security numbers. However, let's put the blame on someone who can do something about the illegal-immigrant problem – Congress and the president.

Our elected officials have repeatedly failed to develop a rational plan for dealing with immigration, preferring instead to use it as a political football to further divide Americans into opposing camps.

Bank of America is doing what companies in a free-market economy do – fill a need. It is the BofA shareholders who will benefit or suffer depending on the wisdom of the decision.

Marlys Stapelbroek
North Tustin

Appalling double standard
I went to my local BofA to get information on their new policy of "no Social Security number or ID" to open a checking account. The representative wouldn't talk to me, but gave me the number of a "media contact."

The contact was a recording that told me that if I was part of the media to leave a message.

Investigating on my own, I found that if you are a citizen, you have to provide a Social Security number and two forms of ID (one of which must be a picture ID).

If you are an illegal immigrant, this is not required. The illegal now has a checking account and can wire money without charge to Mexico. I have to pay to wire money. After three months they are entitled to a picture credit card.

They can use this "ID" to get on an airplane and fly anywhere in the United States. In order to make room for the illegals at BofA, I am in the process of changing to another bank that requires proper identification.

Jim Sterbenz
Huntington Beach

ID protection is critical
I maintain the idea of separating our finances and credit rating from Social Security numbers would eliminate a lot of identity theft. It would make life a little more difficult for finance companies, but it would also make its more difficult for criminals.

The Social Security number was initially just that, a number that tied us to our Social Security account with the government and our employers. It was a natural for taxation, Medicare and eventually military ID numbers. Now, nearly everything one could want to know about you or me can be available with one number and our birthday.

If I weren't already a Bank of America account holder, I would get myself an account unconnected to my Social Security number.

A. D. Thompson
Fullerton