Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Official English Bill Advances in Texas Legislature

Official English Bill Advances in Texas Legislature:

Published May 01, 2011

Fox News Latino

A Texas legislative committee has approved a measure that calls for all government business to be conducted only in English.

The approval by the House State Affairs Committee paves the way for the bill to move to the full House for a vote.

The measure passed the committee late Thursday on 7-3 vote along party lines.

State Rep. Leo Berman authored the bill, which the Legislature has repeatedly debated in the past. The bill declares that the traditional and common language of the United States and Texas is English. It goes on to say that knowledge of the common language is essential to exercising constitutional rights.

Opponents argue that the law would hurt citizens who don't speak English and ignore Texas' Spanish-language history.

This is based on a story by The Associated Press.

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politi ... gislature/
    When you aid and support criminals, you live a criminal life style yourself:

That is the way it should be. English is the official language in Florida but no one has the balls to enforce it. Where is Marco Rubio (Crookio as some of us call him in Florida)? He stated on one occassion that English is to be the official language of the United States. That were was no longer to be press 1 or 2 for Spanish. That was even on C-Span. That is just another election promise that was thrown by the wayside. I just hope Rick Scott passes the e-verify bill in Florida.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Way to go Texas!!

My brother resides in Dallas Texas*

THIS BILL SHOULD BE ENACTED IN ALL OF THE 50 STATES JUST AS MEXICO ONLY PRINTS ITS GOVERNMENT BUSINESS AND OTHER MATERIALS IN ONE LANGUAGE AND THAT IS SPANISH. WHY IS IT THAT OUR GOVERNMENT IS SO DUMBED DOWN AS TO HAVE STARTED PRINTING ITS BUSINESS IN SPANISH IN THE FIRST PLACE THEY DON'T PRINT ANYTHING IS CHINESE OR ANY OTHER LANGUAGE EXCEPT SPANISH. SOME HOW IMO THIS IS NOT FAIR TO OTHERS WHO DON'T SPEAK OR READ ENGLISH. AND IT SHOULDN'T BE DONE FOR THOSE WHO ONLY SPEAK AND READ SPANISH. WHATS SO SPECIAL ABOUT LATINOS THAT THEY HAVE THIS DONE FOR THEM NOT A V**V THING IMO

Opponents argue that the law would hurt citizens who don't speak English and ignore Texas' Spanish-language history
    If these same people are citizens (of the US) then THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO BE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE IN ENGLISH (as are the steps to become a citizen of this country)

Enough of this pandering and kissing of a--es. LEARN ENGLISH . Besides, many are here ILLEGALLY!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Most business in the world is carried out in ENGLISH

http://www.andaman.org/BOOK/reprints/we ... -weber.htm

All major languages today are growing, in influence as well as in numbers of speakers. The higher up a language is on the ranking pole the faster its growth. Apart from the natural population increase everywhere, this growth takes place at the expense of smaller, local languages. Hundreds if not thousands, of smaller languages are being pushed slowly out of the way. The speakers of some languages have seen the influence of their own language checked by one of the ten top languages. They then usually profess a fear of being dominated - while at the same time their own language in turn is driving smaller local languages towards extinction. Few even notice the irony of this and loud are the complaints about linguistic and cultural expansionism. Expansionism is what others do to you that you cannot do to them but would if you could.
    Languages expand and shrink on the back of the social, cultural, military, scientific, technological, organisational and other strengths and weaknesses of their speakers. What is today called, over-simplistically and geographically incorrectly, "The West" dominates the world in countless subtle and not-so-subtle ways. While this is often denied for reasons of self-respect, even stand-offish China has for half a century embraced an ideology of Western origin (and is now boosting its standing with a capitalism that had also been invented in the West). With the introduction of Western technologies, Western ideas slip in quietly, along with Western attitudes and languages. That these effects can be absorbed without abandoning one's cultural identity has been shown with huge success by the Japanese and Koreans. Not all cultures and languages share the inherent strengths of those two. More fragile cultures can feel seriously threatened by Westernisation but if they wish to participate in the ongoing industrialisation and globalisation of of the world, they have little choice beyond making protesting noises.
    Ranking the world's current top languages is not just an idle past-time. The world is growing closer and this historical development is matched by large-scale linguistic adjustments, the most dramatic of which being the explosive growth of the English language. It does matter how major languages stand and evolve in relation to each other. Like the weather, many developments make sense only if one looks at the world-wide picture, not just parochial bits of it.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStClaire
    THIS BILL SHOULD BE ENACTED IN ALL OF THE 50 STATES JUST AS MEXICO ONLY PRINTS ITS GOVERNMENT BUSINESS AND OTHER MATERIALS IN ONE LANGUAGE AND THAT IS SPANISH. WHY IS IT THAT OUR GOVERNMENT IS SO DUMBED DOWN AS TO HAVE STARTED PRINTING ITS BUSINESS IN SPANISH IN THE FIRST PLACE THEY DON'T PRINT ANYTHING IS CHINESE OR ANY OTHER LANGUAGE EXCEPT SPANISH. SOME HOW IMO THIS IS NOT FAIR TO OTHERS WHO DON'T SPEAK OR READ ENGLISH. AND IT SHOULDN'T BE DONE FOR THOSE WHO ONLY SPEAK AND READ SPANISH. WHATS SO SPECIAL ABOUT LATINOS THAT THEY HAVE THIS DONE FOR THEM NOT A V**V THING IMO
    You are correct. It is not fair to other foreigners in the U.S. to have only one language printed on foods and other American itims...Spanish.

I just noticed today that spanish is even on coupons you use at grocery stores! So sick of this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiara
    I just noticed today that spanish is even on coupons you use at grocery stores! So sick of this!!
    Some of them have been doing that for a while.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)