Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

OH: Hearing for accused murderer delayed

Hearing for accused murderer delayed
    By Lauren Pack

Staff Writer

Monday, September 08, 2008

HAMILTON, OH — A hearing for a man accused of killing a Hamilton woman in June and leaving her nude body in an alley has been continued again.

Daniel Estrada-Lopez, 32, a native of Mexico, is charged with aggravated murder with a gun specification for the June 1 shooting death of Gloria Marie Applegate.

Estrada-Lopez was in court Monday morning, Sept. 8, briefly to reschedule a suppression hearing. He will return to Butler County Common Pleas Judge Patricia Oney's courtroom Sept. 22 for a hearing on a motion to suppress statements he made to police and the legality of a search of his residence, according to court officials.

Applegate's body was found in an alley behind South 11th Street on early June 1, hours after she was released from police custody after an arrest for disorderly conduct and open container. She had been shot in the head.

Estrada-Lopez, arrested June 5, is not a U.S. citizen and there is a federal immigration holder on him, according to Butler County Jail records. He also is wanted on several outstanding warrants through Hamilton Municipal Court. He is being housed in the Butler County Jail in lieu of a $1 million bond.
    http://www.journal-news.com/hp/content/ ... lopez.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

October 4, 2008

Immigrant guilty of murder

BUTLER CO. -- A 35-year-old Butler County man has been found guilty of aggravated murder for shooting a woman to death during an attempted rape in an alley in Hamilton.

A Common Pleas Court jury deliberated into the evening Thursday to deliver the verdict against Daniel Estrada-Lopez.

Gloria Applegate, 32, was found dead June 1 in an alley off 11th Street just hours after she was released from the city jail on disorderly conduct and alcohol charges.

Estrada-Lopez, described in court records as an illegal immigrant, faces up to life in prison when sentenced Nov. 10.

http://news.cincinnati.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Illegal immigrant gets 33 years to life in shooting death
    Victim's family urged tough sentence, saying Estrada-Lopez showed no remorse.
    By Lauren Pack

Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Hamilton— An illegal immigrant convicted in the shooting death of a Hamilton woman has been sentenced to 33 years to life in prison.

Butler County Common Pleas Judge Patricia Oney handed down the sentence Monday afternoon, Nov. 10. Daniel Estrada-Lopez was convicted of aggravated murder with a gun specification for killing Gloria Applegate in an alley behind East Avenue on June. 1.

Applegate, 32, was the mother of teenage two sons. She was known to Hamilton police as a prostitute who had four convictions for solicitation.

Defense attorney David Brewer did not dispute that his client was guilty of murder, but said whatever happened in the alley before the shot was fired was consensual.

The prosecution pointed to the fact that Applegate was found nude in the alley and had saliva on her breast. They said the position of the gunshot wound was evidence Estrada-Lopez was on top of Applegate attempting to rape her when he got angry and fired the shot.

Before sentencing, Estrada-Lopez addressed the court through an interpreter offering an apology and claiming not to remember shooting Applegate.

"I just want to say I am sorry to the judge and to the victim's family," Estrada-Lopez said. "I was drunk, I don't know how it happened."

Defense attorney David Brewer told the judge the less severe sentence of 23 years to life would be most appropriate for his client, noting he has a minor criminal background in the United States and until the incident was a working to help support his girlfriend's family.

Alice Applegate, Gloria's aunt, did not accept Estrada-Lopez's apology, noting he showed no remorse during the trial or even a reaction to seeing crime scene photos of her niece's body.

"If he had not been caught, I don't know that Gloria would have been his last victim," Applegate said.

She said her niece "got on the bad side of life, but she didn't deserve to die. She left behind children who loved her, a family who loved her. I am begging you don't let him back out on the street."

After hearing the sentence of 33 years to life in prison, Applegate said "justice was done. I am glad it is over."

www.middletownjournal.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn