Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Once facing deportation, grad off to college

Once facing deportation, grad off to college
    Posted on Thu, Aug. 21, 2008
    Facebook Digg del.icio.us AIM
    BY KATHLEEN McGRORY
    kmcgrory@MiamiHerald.com

One year ago, Juan Gomez, the Killian High School grad who was saved from deportation, traveled to the nation's capital to advocate for undocumented students.

Gomez headed for Washington again Thursday, but for a different reason: Next week he starts at Georgetown University.

And if being accepted to one of the nation's top colleges wasn't enough, Gomez also won a competitive partial scholarship for international students.

''It's been really exciting,'' Gomez said Wednesday night as got ready to leave Miami.

Juan, 19, his brother Alex, 20, and their parents were arrested by immigration agents last July. Their parents had overstayed their visas for more than a decade, and the family was going to be deported to Colombia.

The brothers were toddlers when they arrived in the United States.

But when the family was put into immigration detention, the young men's friends launched a grass-roots campaign to save Juan and Alex.

Later, U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart joined in the effort, introducing a private bill to keep the brothers in the country.

Immigration officials granted the young men a stay of deportation while Congress considers the bill. But their parents and grandmother were deported to Colombia in late October.

The young men became local celebrities -- and the faces of undocumented students nationwide.

They traveled to Washington with their friends to advocate for the DREAM Act, legislation that would give undocumented students like themselves a chance to remain in the country.

For now, the brothers are allowed to stay in the country until March. But Juan Gomez said he hasn't given up hope of staying longer.

''I wouldn't have applied [to Georgetown] if I really thought I'd be leaving in a year,'' he said Wednesday. ``I feel like my best chances of staying in this country are going to a prestigious institution like Georgetown.''

Gomez, who finished his freshman year at Miami Dade's Honors College, said he can't wait to arrive in Washington.

''Honestly, I'm not nervous at all,'' he said. ``I have only excitement about it.''

While he plans to study finance and business, Gomez said he'll continue to fight for undocumented students and the DREAM Act.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... ecent_comm
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

And if being accepted to one of the nation's top colleges wasn't enough, Gomez also won a competitive partial scholarship for international students.
    Not only has he taken the spot from an American student, he somehow was able to get a scholarship meant for international students? How is that possible when he is an illegal alien living in the US and not overseas? What a travesty of justice! They should both be deported in March!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Re: Once facing deportation, grad off to college

One year ago, Juan Gomez, the Killian High School grad who was saved from deportation, traveled to the nation's capital to advocate for undocumented students.

He was permitted to stay here to attend school, not use the reprieve to become an activist for illegal aliens.

And how much of this did he actually EARN as opposed to being the recipient because of his <cough> "celebrity" status?

Immigration officials granted the young men a stay of deportation while Congress considers the bill. But their parents and grandmother were deported to Colombia in late October.

I think it should also be brought to the attention of Congress that rather than being simply grateful for the opportunity, at least one of the brothers has used the opportunity to come up with all kinds of ways to try and manipulate the system to his advantage and is also spending an inordinate anount of time devoted to political activism instead of his studies.

''I wouldn't have applied [to Georgetown] if I really thought I'd be leaving in a year,'' he said Wednesday. ``I feel like my best chances of staying in this country are going to a prestigious institution like Georgetown.''

There's always an angle, a plan devised to circumvent the law and escape justice.

Here's an illegal alien taking up space in one of the best colleges in the country, not because it's a lifelong dream of his to attend there, not particularly because he actually WANTS to go there, but rather in hopes that such "prestige" will help him avoid deportation.

And because he took that spot, there is now no seat available to an American student who truly deserves to be at Georgetown and genuinely wants to be there.

Illegal invaders are now refered to as "international students!" Brilliant...just brilliant! I wonder about the American citizen GTU rejected in order to make room for this scofflaw!

It's the Juan Gomez's of this country that present danger! Once he graduates with that degree, he will no doubt fight on behalf of every illegal invader in this country, under the guise they deserve an opportunity just as he received...

Later, U.S. Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart joined in the effort, introducing a private bill to keep the brothers in the country.

We have to vote traitors like Diaz-Balart out of office! Thats a slap in the face of all Americans and legals here. We need to write congress and tell them NO to the bill.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Excuse me, but how does a bill that has been filed but not passed by the US Congress become a matter of policy execution?

So now the Executive Branch agencies can start taking action on legislation that has not passed? Well that explains why they have created a defacto amnesty doesn't it.

W

SOMETIME, I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT I AM READING - UNREAL!