Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Opinion: Sen. Jon Kyl ,fences..closet amnesty cheerleader

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/120394

Spacing is poor. Read the link, or my following analysis.

Fencing has been found to be helpful border tool
    Tucson, Arizona | Published: 03.17.2006

Arizonans continue to tell me as I travel from Tucson to Yuma, and all across our state, that it is critical we secure our border and deal with the problem of illegal immigration.

I agree, and Washington is finally heeding the warnings of border-state senators like myself who have long demanded increased resources and a comprehensive approach to border enforcement.

I recently held hearings in my Terrorism and Homeland Security Subcommittee, which confirmed two things: We can control our border, and giving up is not an option.
    The experts agreed that we can secure our border if we are willing to commit the resources: more manpower, fencing, technology and interior enforcement.
    It's not easy to control 9,071 miles of border with only a quarter of the number of agents that New York City has working as cops.
    Last week the Senate Judiciary Committee acknowledged Arizona's unique situation. As reported in the Arizona Daily Star, the committee approved my plan to add 50 miles of fencing along the border and replace dilapidated fencing with new double- or triple-layer fencing.
    The plan would also double the size of the Border Patrol by adding 10,000 to 12,000 new agents in the next five years.
    Surprisingly, the Star editorialized Monday against this victory for Arizona by arguing that fencing along the border does little to curtail illegal immigration.
    A close examination of the facts proves otherwise.
    Built properly, fences work. The fence in the San Diego sector has dramatically reduced illegal immigration and drug trafficking across that sector. According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, apprehensions have declined from 202,173 (Imperial Beach Station along the San Diego border) in 1992 to just 9,112 in 2005 after construction of fencing was accelerated as part of Operation Gatekeeper in 1993.
    Crime is down on both sides of the border near San Diego, and the environment is beginning to recover from the number of people who used to cross the area.
    Much of our border with Mexico is currently delineated by a rusted strand of barbed wire that has been beaten into the dirt by thousands of illegal crossers. In the urban areas, unsightly "landing mat" walls only slow down illegal crossers and are operationally unsound. The Border Patrol recommends modernizing fencing in the urban areas and extending it to areas near communities.
    Surely the Star does not think that the public is well-served by the current state of disrepair, unsightly walls and inadequate coverage.
    Improved fencing is only one of the features of an effective border security policy. We also need adequate numbers of agents, aircraft (including unmanned aerial vehicles), cameras and lights, sensors, vehicle barriers and the like.
    We also need to improve our interior enforcement practices (including at the workplace) and implement a temporary worker program that does not grant amnesty. Contrary to what some may say, we have not yet tried a system of comprehensive enforcement that embodies all of these components.
    Because we have failed to enforce our laws, the United States now has a very difficult problem, and there is no easy solution. I believe that a comprehensive approach can work, and I will continue to seek more resources to implement such an approach in our state.
    Sen. Jon Kyl's Tucson office phone: 575-8633. He also can be reached at kyl.senate.gov/contact.cfm online.

-----------
    -pa

I was going to go in depth to why Kyl can't be trusted, and how he is ONLY peddling himself to gather votes, and will be useless to building a fence. But the short version is this:

He, like others, are hell-bent OBSESSED with having a "comprehensive" bill or solution to this problem.

The article is titled about a fence, and he drones on and on ,about how one of the fences work great.

But it sounds like he will ONLY support a bill that tries to do everything. He wants to get the illegal alien vote from the "stealth" (or blatant) amnesty that a comp. bill would deliver. And he wants to appear tough by TALKING about a fence.

Because we "have failed to enforce our laws," Kyl believes the solution is NOT enforcing the laws, but just creating new ones ,to fail at enforcing.

And the comprehensive nature of a bill he wants, ensures there will be MANY , MANY new things for them to fail at.

I don't trust Kyl, and unless he DELIVERS votes for border enforcement, and NO votes for monstrous-comprehensive-amnesty bills, OR does something besides just talking.....

I will vote for the Democrat, instead, even if i don't like them.

-pa

You're right Phoenix. We need to start demanding an "enforcement only" bill from the Congress. We can't give them any wiggle room or they will take a mile. Comprehensive reform is just a code word for amnesty. We've got a week to call people like Kyl, Cornyn, Specter, Kennedy, etc. and let them know that we want enforcement only or we WILL vote them all out of office. Remind them that big business and the other special interests may have the money, but we've got the vote, and we will use it.
    REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!