Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Opposing groups back immigration compromise

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/ ... 7-21-56-37

Jun 27, 9:56 PM EDT

Opposing groups back immigration compromise

By COLLEEN SLEVIN
    Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- Groups on opposite sides of the immigration debate said Tuesday that they've agreed to back a change in the law that cracks down on both employers who hire illegal workers and illegal immigrants trying to get public assistance.

The announcement came a day after the state Supreme Court said it wouldn't reconsider its decision blocking an immigration proposal from November's ballot and as both GOP Gov. Bill Owens and the Democratic-led Legislature consider calling lawmakers back to work to debate immigration proposals.

The ballot proposal would have barred illegal immigrants from getting non-emergency state services; the state would still have to provide schooling and emergency medical care under federal law. But opponents, including Keep Colorado Safe and former Denver Mayor Federico Pena, who is part of the group, said the proposal could lead to lawsuits and cause more problems, such as if illegal immigrant children were denied state-supported vaccinations.

The deal, worked out largely by two Democrats from the opposing camps, Pena and former Gov. Dick Lamm, is modeled after a law passed in Georgia. Employers would be required to verify that an employee is in the country legally or else lose the right to deduct their salary on their taxes. People applying for public assistance would also have to prove their citizenship.

Fred Elbel, director of Defend Colorado Now, the group that backs the ballot proposal, said both his group and Pena's recognize that legislators can come up with comprehensive solutions that will discourage illegal immigration and make sure that taxpayer dollars are supporting legal residents. However, he said lawmakers could still also vote to send the ballot proposal to voters.

Keep Colorado Safe spokeswoman Edie Sonn said the ballot proposal was vague on which services would be denied to illegal immigrants but she said working off the Georgia proposal would allow lawmakers to discuss exactly which services should be included in the law.

"If there is more that should be done at the state level (on immigration), the legislature should figure it out and put it in statute," Sonn said. "This is not the kind of stuff that is appropriately decided at the ballot box."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I'm one of those people who got signatures on the petition that our Supreme Court decided to "invalidate". At least our Governor grew a pair and called for a "special session of the legislature" last night to review this thing.

We've also got a group here in Colorado which has started to initiate "term limits for judges", who are practicing politics, instead of applying the law.

We have to many illegals here with heavy ties to the legal community that it does make things more than a little difficult to get decent "enforcement only" laws passed.

After all, Denver has a Mayor who gives speeches at the local illegal hiring hall called "ElCentro". What a mess!!

After all, Denver has a Mayor who gives speeches at the local illegal hiring hall called "ElCentro".
    Denver is a blight on the face of Colorado.

I'll reserve judgment on Owens until after the 2:00 pm news conference about this, but I don't hold much hope for this "compromise".
    Knowledge is Power Power corrupts Study hard Be Evil

I, for one, am not willing to compromise on a damn thing. Enforce our laws NOW!!!
    <div align="center">"IF it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight-Dial 1-800-USMC"</div>

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com

Deal leaves activists skeptical, let down
    By Rosa Ramirez, Rocky Mountain News
    June 29, 2006

Angry. Disappointed. Skeptical. Optimistic.

Those are among the reactions of foot soldiers on both sides of the immigration debate to the compromise forged by their leaders and the call for a special legislative session to address the issue.

Under the compromise, the proposed ballot initiative by Defend Colorado Now to deny some services to illegal immigrants is on hold. That doesn't sit well with Connie Truax, 65, of Golden, who collected hundreds of voter signatures on behalf of the measure.

"It was a very bad move. It killed all the work and time we spent on doing that," she said. "I'm not pleased with that at all."

Truax is also skeptical that the legislature will pass any substantive immigration bills.

"This is going back to the legislature who has already killed about a dozen bills . . . not much is going to happen until citizens of the state of Colorado have a chance to vote," she said. "They'll (state lawmakers) dilly around and turn it down."

Another supporter of the ballot initiative said he feels let down.

"I'm not happy with both groups coming together," said Joe Leon, 60, of Aurora. "They made a watered-down proposal of what they (Defend Colorado Now) wanted to do."

"I'm kind of confused by both Republicans and Democrats. Are they doing this to get more votes? Or they're doing it because they don't want to offend Hispanics of Colorado?"

Some supporters of Keep Colorado Safe, which opposes the ballot proposal, are skeptical as well.

Lisa Duran is director of Rights for All People, an activist group that helped organize Denver's pro- immigrant rallies.

"Later when I heard about the consensus . . . I became even more afraid," Duran said. "This is going in the wrong direction."

The compromise calls on the legislature to consider parts of a Georgia immigration law, considered one of the toughest in the nation.

"They are trying to piecemeal it by trying to take (laws) from other states. This is not a good way to go," Duran said.

Adrienne Benavidez, a prominent Hispanic activist who opposes the ballot initiative, said a special session is unnecessary. But, she added, since Gov. Bill Owens has already called it, it would offer an "opportunity to consider these matters and to listen to testimony on the issue."

But not everyone sees this week's events as a setback.

Janet Dawson, of Littleton, who volunteers for Defend Colorado Now, said it is interesting to see leaders of opposing groups come together.

"It was black and white and now it's becoming kind of gray," she said. "If it's going to work, then it's kind of a good solution."
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I must admit that I am not particularly happy about this either. Compromise what?????? I thought the ballot initiative was pretty straightforward. The only light I see in this gray tunnel is that I've gotten a pretty good response from one of my legislators.

Bless his little heart, he even send me "real" emails since I sent him one that was pretty "adamanat".

The only thing we, in Colorado, can do is keep hammering on our legislators. Don't give up!!!!!!! Keep writing, calling, etc. We can't just give up!!

http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin...ws060629_1.htm

Immigration session to start July 6
    Compromise based on Georgia bill

June 29, 2006
    By Joe Hanel | Herald Denver Bureau

DENVER - The Legislature will return to Denver on July 6 for a wide-ranging special session on illegal immigration, Gov. Bill Owens announced Wednesday.

On the governor's orders, the Legislature will have to consider a compromise plan forged by Speaker of the House Andrew Romanoff, D-Denver, between leaders of Defend Colorado Now - an anti-illegal immigration group - and their rivals at Keep Colorado Safe.

For two weeks, Republicans and Democrats have been pushing past each other to be the first to address illegal immigration in the wake of a state Supreme Court ruling that killed a ballot initiative by Defend Colorado Now.

On Tuesday, DCN's leaders surprised lawmakers by backing away from their own initiative in favor of the compromise plan.

The initiative sought to deny state services to illegal immigrants, but the court said it violated a state law limiting initiatives to one subject. The plan could have had wide-ranging effects that were hidden from voters, the court said.

It's unclear whether the initiative will make it to the November ballot. Owens told legislators to consider putting it back on the ballot as a backup plan in case the compromise measure doesn't pass.

"In order to have my support and approval, legislation passed during the special session must be substantive and not merely symbolic," Owens said.

Asked what counted as substantive laws, Owens said, "I know it when I see it."

But Romanoff said he didn't want to play a guessing game with the governor. He urged Owens to work with legislators by telling them specifically what kind of new laws he wants.

"Consensus doesn't just magically materialize out of thin air. Consensus is forged - by leaders. The governor knows that," Romanoff said, citing their cooperation on Referendum C last year.

The substance of the compromise between Defend Colorado Now and Keep Colorado Safe is modeled after a Georgia law, which requires citizenship checks in order to receive welfare. It also punishes employers who hire illegal immigrants by withholding state income tax breaks for them. Federal law prohibits many punishments for employers who use illegal labor.

Defend Colorado Now is led by Dick Lamm, a former Democratic governor and outspoken critic of U.S. immigration policy. Keep Colorado Safe is led by Federico Peña, a former Denver mayor and Clinton administration cabinet official.

A joint statement by Lamm and Peña called the Democrat-backed Georgia law "more effective and more practical" than the ballot initiative.

"If we can do something in this building that is more practical and more effective than a constitutional amendment, we ought to seize the opportunity and do it now, instead of waiting until November," Romanoff said.

Democrats in the Legislature are on board with the compromise, Romanoff said.

Some Republicans, however, have different ideas.

House Minority Leader Mike May, R-Parker, and 18 other Republicans urged Owens to send the Defend Colorado initiative to the ballot.

"This is a desperate attempt by Democrats to deny our citizens the right to vote on one of the most pressing issues facing Colorado today," May wrote in his letter to Owens.

During the special session, legislators also will consider laws to keep non-citizens from voting, ban human trafficking and "involuntary servitude," raise the minimum age for common-law marriage and impose deadlines for the Supreme Court to rule on voter initiatives.

Both Owens and Romanoff think the Legislature can complete its work in three to five days.

jhanel@durangoherald.com
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>