Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Our Opinion: Bogus Band-Aid (Tuscon Citizen)

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.php? ... =0407005op

Our Opinion: Bogus Band-Aid
    Tucson Citizen
    April 7, 2005

The irony is almost too rich for words. The federal failure to reform immigration policies has spurred national unrest.

Yet even as Minutemen patrol southern Arizona in search of illegal immigrants, demonstrating their disgust with this federal failure, how do leaders in Washington respond?

With a proposal that U.S. citizens going to Mexico must have passports in order to return home. The idea unveiled Tuesday would help "secure our borders," they say.

But Americans crossing the border are the least of our very serious problems.

Must we reiterate yet again the mantra among Americans nationwide?

Reform immigration policies. Establish a secure guest-worker program. And don't deflect attention from this quagmire with bogus Band-Aid solutions such as passports for Americans.

Please.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

I had the same impression as this editorial writer when I heard that news.

However, on further consideration, I think it will be slightly useful. Many American citizens travelling to Mexico are hispanic. This will cut down on any confusion when seperating hispanic Americans from hispanic Mexicans who are attempting to come thru the Port of Entry, especially if biometrics are used to confirm that the bearer of the passport is who it was issued to. If not, the passport could be an entry ticket for illegals, as the pasport could be mailed down to Mexico, and used by any individual that looks similar to the person it is issued to, unless you are required to get an exit stamp as well as entrance stamp, which I saw nothing indicating that is the plan.

Kinda reminds me of "Born in East L.A."

In any case, it IS just a band-aid.. and not a very good one, since most illegals do not come thru the Port of Entry anyway.

In any case, it IS just a band-aid.. and not a very good one, since most illegals do not come thru the Port of Entry anyway.
    They either come through the Port of Barbed Wire or the Port of Rio Grande.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!