Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

PA-Berks Center To House More Immigration Detainees

POSTED: 08-07-2009 03:36 PM ET | MODIFIED: 08-07-2009 06:09 PM ET
    Berks Center To House More Immigration Detainees

The United States' immigration detention facilities are being reformed and that means business is about to pick up in Berks County. The Department of Homeland Security has announced a program designed to provide more oversight at the nation's care centers.

And officials from ICE, or Immigration and Customs Enforcement, say a facility in Texas will soon close. That means families stationed there will go to the Berks Family Detention Center in Bern Township.

"This change marks an important step in our ongoing efforts to enforce immigration laws smartly and effectively," said Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. "We are improving detention center management to prioritize health, safety and uniformity among our facilities while ensuring security, efficiency and fiscal responsibility."

Officials say ICE's newly-created Office of Detention Policy and Planning will evaluate the entire detention system in a methodical way, with seven areas of focus, each with benchmarks for progress:

Population Management: To ensure the best location, design, and operation of facilities reflecting the unique nature of civil detention;
    Detention Management: To ensure appropriate custodial conditions and address day-to-day detention functions, including classification, discipline and grievances;
    Programs Management: To ensure the provision of religious services, family visitation, recreation and law libraries;
    Health Care Management: To ensure the timely provision of medical, dental and mental health assessment and services;
    Alternatives to Detention Management: To develop a national strategy for the effective use of alternatives to detention including community supervision;
    Special Populations Management: To provide attention to women, families, the elderly and vulnerable populations; and
    Accountability: To ensure ICE employees perform the core functions of detention oversight, detainee classification and discipline, and grievance review.

http://wfmz.com/view/?id=1245608
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I take it they are talking about the HUtto facility.
    So they are going to ship these ILLEGALS to Pa instead of just sending them right over the border there in Texas? What a waste of money,,,,AGAIN.
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Head the South of the Border to Texas! What kind of money is this going to cost American Citizens?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)