Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pair honored for efforts with Latinos

www.azcentral.com

Pair honored for efforts with Latinos

Daniel González
    The Arizona Republic
    May. 25, 2005 12:00 AM

While former state Sen. Alfredo Gutierrez is known as one of the state's biggest champions of Latino immigrant rights, he has also never shied away from criticizing the Mexican government for not doing its share to solve the problem of illegal immigration.

So it comes as somewhat of a surprise that Gutierrez has been chosen to receive an Ohtli Award, the highest honor bestowed by the Mexican government on Latinos of Mexican descent living outside the country.

"I have been quite critical of the Mexican government from time to time, so my receiving the award is not without some controversy," Gutierrez said.
    advertisement

Gutierrez and Tommy Espinoza, 57, will receive the Ohtli Award tonight at a ceremony at the ASU Kerr Cultural Center in Scottsdale. Espinoza, 57, is president of the Raza Development Fund, which finances charter schools, health care clinics and other community development projects.

Both men led a campaign against Proposition 200, the voter-approved measure that seeks to prevent undocumented immigrants from voting and receiving certain public benefits.

Gutierrez said he felt "both humble and proud" to receive the award.

Espinoza said receiving the award was bittersweet because migrants keep dying in the desert, and some state lawmakers continue to try to pass laws that fail to recognize the economic contributions of undocumented immigrants.

Reach the reporter at daniel.gonzalez@arizonarepublic.com or (602) 444-8312.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

!

Coupla boobs got a coupla honors!

I'm impressed! What size were they?

JUDY.........ANOTHER GUTIERREZ here! We're infested with GUTIERREZesss.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)