Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

parishioners at Oklahoma church vent frustrations to bishop

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/storie ... 604230.htm

TULSA-ANGLOS Jul-25-2006 (790 words) xxxn

Anglo parishioners at Oklahoma church vent frustrations to bishop

By Marilyn Duck
    Catholic News Service

TULSA, Okla. (CNS) -- When Bishop Edward J. Slattery of Tulsa met with 60 Anglo parishioners of Sts. Peter and Paul Church over a potluck dinner in late June, he told them he had come to listen.

He got an earful, and he issued some blunt rebukes in response.

Many of the English-speaking parishioners -- some of whom were founding members of the 55-year-old parish in Tulsa -- said they have felt "a sense of disruption" since Father Tim Davison arrived as pastor two and a half years ago and intensified efforts to reach out to the growing Hispanic community within the parish.

As a result, some Anglo parishioners feel unappreciated and unloved, they told Bishop Slattery.

Their discontent boiled over this spring when Bishop Slattery came to confirm young people from Sts. Peter and Paul and St. Thomas More parishes and celebrated the Mass mostly in Spanish. Some people walked out, and the family of at least one confirmand left the parish over the incident.

During his June 29 visit, Bishop Slattery said he knew that the parishioners had given much to the parish over the years and acknowledged the sense of disruption created by the increase in Hispanic ministry. But he said he cherishes the great diversity within the church and the diocese.

While the bishop was talking about the political turmoil over illegal immigration and the U.S. bishops' response to it, parishioner Mary Ann Yarbrough stood up.

"You know the feelings that are in this room and what people are upset about," she said, citing the Spanish-language confirmation Mass.

Yarbrough said the English-speaking parishioners have tried to be welcoming to the Hispanics. But many feel the newcomers have not reciprocated and that the Anglos' contributions are not valued.

The bishop was told he had been insensitive, and he apologized, saying, "I never meant to be insensitive."

Much of the discussion during the 90-minute session touched on opinions about illegal immigration: People shouldn't break the law to enter the U.S.; people who do come here should learn English; people who want to live in America should not wave Mexican flags.

Bishop Slattery provoked vigorous "No" responses when he suggested that just as the Spanish speakers need to learn English, perhaps the English speakers could try to pick up some Spanish.

At one point, he asked if the parishioners believed there should be any Spanish Masses in the diocese. When a couple of people said "No," the bishop appeared stunned.

"You cannot tell me that," he said. "Let me tell you as a bishop, we are about the salvation of souls, not Spanish or English."

He agreed the U.S. immigration system is broken and said the U.S. bishops have endorsed a sound package of reforms. But what about the 11 million to 12 million people who already are here? he asked. Should they all -- mothers and fathers and children -- be sent back? he asked.

"Yes, and I'll drive a bus," one man replied.

This prompted an admonition from the bishop that some of the remarks "show a definite prejudice."

"You have something to learn here," he said. "You have something to learn here, and it's the Gospel."

When another parishioner said people have the right to their opinions, he replied, "No, they're not entitled to their opinion unless it's truth."

Several people said they were concerned that isolation between Hispanics and Anglos makes it harder for the immigrants to learn English. "You cannot build a community if it can't communicate," one woman said. "The Catholic Church should have a plan."

The demographics that are affecting Sts. Peter and Paul are occurring in many places, the bishop said, citing St. Francis Xavier Church, which absorbed the faithful of Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish shortly before he was installed as bishop in 1994.

St. Francis Xavier Church and Diocesan Shrine, where eight of the nine weekend Masses are in Spanish, is perhaps the largest parish in the state of Oklahoma.

Megan Brungardt said the "harsh opinions" and "hateful" remarks of a few were prompted by concern for the parish's future.

"It's not what has happened so much as it's how it has happened. Give us a chance to take baby steps. We're scared, too," Brungardt said.

Bishop Slattery said he believes the problems aired that night "will only be solved by Our Blessed Mother. If you're looking for unity in this parish, look to her."

Father Davison said he would continue to explore ways to bring English and Spanish speakers together, through social get-togethers and days of caring. "Nobody quite has the full answer," he said. "I really feel a deep-down need is to grow in our charity."
    Equal rights for all, special privileges for none. Thomas Jefferson

The proamnesty clergy posture as morally superior.

They are human beings and the statements that they make are reflective of the fact that in their positions they are in fact economically insulated. Were they in positions where they would face competition they would be just as opposed to having illegal immigration as we are.

There are many countries where the clergy receive only a small fraction of the compensation that the clergy is receiving here. If there were an employer of clergy bringing in people as illegal immigrant clergy to work at a third the going rate and putting our own out of work the American clergy

would be our front line.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

You are so right, Richard. I have never thought of that. Guest Priests. There is a shortage of them.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Very well said Richard.

I think the Anglos should leave the parish. If they care so little about their feelings.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Bishop Slattery provoked vigorous "No" responses when he suggested that just as the Spanish speakers need to learn English, perhaps the English speakers could try to pick up some Spanish.
    That pompous ass.

Who among Americans {that have not been brainwashed & programed} will accept anything other than "freedom of choice?"

That pompous ass.
    Are you mad, Sis ?

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    That pompous ass.
    Are you mad, Sis ?
    Wellllll, Legal........I'm working very hard at hiding it
    Thought it was working, too.

Dixie Quote
    I think the Anglos should leave the parish. If they care so little about their feelings.

Dixie, hate to tell you, you are WRONG , don't hit me.
    the Anglos shoud not be the ones tp leave, it should be the priest, his heart is with the hispanics, let him go to Mexico, and take the illegals with him!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    Dixie Quote

Dixie, hate to tell you, you are WRONG , don't hit me.
    the Anglos shoud not be the ones tp leave, it should be the priest, his heart is with the hispanics, let him go to Mexico, and take the illegals with him!
    Ok, nitty! You dodged one there. Hey, they can follow that statue of Mary back they were falling all over a few weeks ago.

Dixie

continue to explore ways to bring English and Spanish speakers together, through social get-togethers and days of caring
    What a wonderful idea...let's all have a get-to-know the illegal aliens social...what a putz!