Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pay them Social Security???

http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns ... 68972.html

If top officials at the State Department and Social Security Administration have their way, up to $345 billion—or more—could be siphoned from the Social Security "trust fund" over the couple decades, mostly to pay benefits to Mexican citizens who worked illegally in the United States. The ill-conceived plan was hatched as part of an accord currently being negotiated with Mexico to help align its social-security system with America's. The U.S. already has similar agreements with 20 nations, mostly in Europe, known as Totalization Agreements. "Totalization" is government-speak for combining, or "totalizing", the Social Security taxes paid into America's and a foreign country's respective systems—which allows people who split their careers between two countries to get a harmonized retirement benefit from the two governments. When media reports of the Mexico pact surfaced last month, the cost was pegged at hundreds of millions of dollars per year, to be paid out to roughly 37,000 Mexican citizens living legally in the U.S. But not mentioned is how the accord with Mexico, as now written, would differ from existing agreements in one key respect: illegal aliens from Mexico would also become eligible for Social Security benefits, which would force costs to skyrocket. Under current law, people who worked illegally in the United States can only receive Social Security benefits based on taxes paid during that time by becoming citizens or permanent legal residents. Once living lawfully in the U.S., though, someone can receive benefits based on work performed while in the country illegally. The Totalization Agreement with Mexico, however, would make illegal aliens from that country eligible for the same treatment under Social Security as U.S. citizens—without ever becoming legal residents or citizens. Although the press office from the Social Security Administration (SSA) cautions, "Discussions are still in the preliminary stages," government sources familiar with the negotiations say that there has been agreement on most significant issues—including the expansion of eligibility for illegal aliens. An internal SSA memo also indicates that the pact will allow illegal aliens to qualify for Social Security benefits: "Mexican nationals working illegally in the U.S. can currently become entitled to benefits if they have made payments to the Trust Fund that meet the vesting requirements. The Totalization Agreement would include this population of Mexican workers within the overall population of workers covered by this agreement." With anywhere from 7 to 11 million illegal aliens in the U.S.—the majority of whom are from Mexico—including illegals in the pact would cost many more billions of dollars per year. The best indicator of how much illegals would receive in benefits would be the amount they have paid in over the years. Since 1990, the amount of Social Security taxes paid into the Earnings Suspense File (ESF)—which consists mostly of sums contributed by illegal aliens—has been increasing rapidly, for a total of nearly $300 billion during that time span, according to SSA's own figures. (Like all government "trust funds," there's no money in the ESF, just an accounting of money.) In Social Security's entire history, some $345 billion in Social Security taxes have been paid under bogus or non-work Social Security numbers, the hallmark of taxes paid by illegal aliens. Some argue that illegal aliens deserve benefits since they already pay Social Security taxes, the fact is that allowing illegals to tap into the entitlement—aside from rewarding illegal behavior—substantially undermine the financial ability to "pay" for a transition to personal account-based reform if the money that would have gone to the accounts is instead funneled to illegal aliens because of the Totalization Agreement. Finals negotiations—which are overseen by State, but handled on the ground by technocrats from SSA—could be finalized next month, according to an internal SSA memo. And an internal State Department memo indicates that the accord could be implemented as early as this fall. Although the White House would no doubt love to shower Mexico with affection, officials there are not aware of the true size and scope of the agreement—nor is Congress, which has the final say. A Totalization Agreement with Mexico similar to the others—meaning no inclusion of illegals—would actually be a wise move. Such a deal would allow Mexican citizens who play by the rules to take full advantage of Social Security taxes paid both here and south of the border. But as things stand right now, it is officials at State and SSA who are not playing by the rules—and Congress and the White House should not play along.
    Joel Mowbray is the author of Dangerous Diplomacy.

I heard they mail checks to Mexico! Don't know how true that is.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

The Social Security Administration is building a building in Mexico City.

-
    Let's be brutally honest: THe Only thing that matters is when you force Politicians to STOP and PAY Attention to You. Its time to think about ways to do that.

Being one who falls in the age group where SS should run dry exactly the year I should start to collect what I paid in.......this ticks me off! I'm that late boomer not quite fitting in anywhere group. Drop a nickel in my cup if you happen to trip over me in a few years...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I am 37 and I know I will never see SS.

crazybird, The problem is I really doubt anyone will have a nickle to throw in your cup.

This is insane. I can even begin to express my stress level (I know alot of you are the same). If it were just my husband and myself I would still be fighting but I think I could handle this alot better. I am terrified when I consider the conditions my 2 young children are going to have to live in. One day when the are old enough to understand I very well might have to tell them about the greatest country that ever was, the United States of America, and its destruction. Right now all I can think is I have to fight with all I have got because I have to look them in the eye and tell them the truth of what happened and I have to be able to tell them I did all I could or I myself would be ashamed.

There is one company (McDonald's, I believe) that has paid in SS on 216 accounts all with the same number. Falsely using a Federal ID # is a felony. Why are we awarding benefits to a felon who KNOWINGLY uses a fake ID #? What do you think would happen to one of us who did the same.

What I really don't understand is this: I remarried a few years ago and never changed by name with SS. This year my accountant notified me that he had been notified by SSA that my SS# had a mismatch. I had to immediately go to the local office with all my documents to get it straightened out. That tells me that SSA is capable of dealing with this. What gives?

I know that many people who come here from other countries are collecting social security and many lhave moved back to their countries and have their relatives get the checks and send the money to them. This scam has been going on for years.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Social Security for illegals OK'd

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=50271

WND INVASION USA
    Social Security for illegals OK'd
    Senate blocks effort to limit benefits for those who become legal residents
    Posted: May 18, 2006
    5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

The U.S. Senate today rejected an effort to limit Social Security benefits for illegal aliens who become permanent residents under an immigration reform bill being debated.

As it stands, the bill the Senate is considering would give millions of illegals a path to U.S. citizenship if they pay fines, back taxes and meet other requirements.

The Social Security proposal, offered by Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., would have prevented illegals who become legal from collecting the benefit on wages they earned while working unlawfully.

"Social Security was not intended for people who entered our country illegally," Ensign is quoted as saying.

Countered Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass.: "Their money sits in the Social Security Administration waiting to be matched with an eligible beneficiary, and once those workers establish the eligibility, how in all fairness can we deny them the credit for their past contributions?"

Reuters reported that later today senators will consider an amendment to the bill by Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., to make English the national language.

As WorldNetDaily reported, yesterday the Senate approved an amendment to the immigration reform bill that would direct the building of a triple-layer fence along 370 miles of the southern border with Mexico.

The Bush administration today indicated the president supported the fence proposal.

"[Bush] doesn't think you fence off the entire border but there are places ... where fences are appropriate, and then, you build fences there," spokesman Tony Snow said.

If you would like to sound off on this issue, participate in today's WND Poll.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

No talk of fines for using others social security numbers just talk to make sure they get their money, what about american taxpayers that have paid in all of their life who are told when they retire there will be no money left. What about us? Ted Kennedy is a traitor to this country and always has been with his liberal bull****. If it does not affect him which most issues do not he is all for it.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

dlm, I fight for my children as well. When I get really burned out and frustrated, I look to my kids for strength. It is vital that we protect our national birthright for the next generations to enjoy!
    <div>"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."
    - Clarence Darrow</div>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast