July 06, 2005
Jobs Americans Won't Do? An Open Letter To President George W. Bush

From Peter Gadiel

George W. Bush
President of the United States
1600 Pennsylvania Ave.
Washington, D.C.

Dear George:

You have often said that, because Mexicans are "doing jobs Americans won't do", you won't enforce the laws on immigration that you swore an oath to uphold.

I thought you needed some enlightenment, so the following is an actual, nearly word-for-word record conversation I had recently while filling my gas tank in Danbury, Connecticut.

At the next pump, a fellow was filling his truck's tank. On the door was the name of a landscaping business. I asked him if competition from competitors who hire illegal aliens was damaging his business.

With not another word from me, his volunteered response was:

"No, I used to get 'em through a contractor at $30.00 per hour. He'd get fifteen and they'd get fifteen. Then he disappeared. Now I get 'em direct. Fifteen per hour is a lot to pay for someone who doesn't speak English, doesn't have a social security card, isn't paying taxes and is here illegally."

Imagine George, all that information offered freely. To paraphrase our conversation:

Me: "How's business?"

Him: "I'm a crook evading the law, hiring other crooks and all together we evade immigration, income taxes, workmen's comp, unemployment taxes. And I'm mad because I'm not making more money."

George, isn't this a wonderful country? You refuse to enforce the law, and millions refuse to obey it.

It's just grand, isn't it?

Now, I know you'd call these landscaping jobs the sort that "Americans won't do." I guess that, because illegals who can evade taxes are doing them, for you that's proof of your statement.

But here's a surprise for you. Many years ago, I did that kind of workâ€â€