Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

the phone booth revolution by Pat Buchanan

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/artic ... E_ID=45582

Posted: August 3, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2005 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

Two years ago, our tireless troubadour of globalism, the Wall Street Journal, was beside itself with giddiness and excitement.

"A Free Trade Majority" is born, said the Journal, hailing as midwife Nancy Pelosi for leading a third of all House Democrats behind free-trade pacts with Chile and Singapore. The Journal mocked the 27 GOP dissidents as union poodles, Northeast liberals, textile-state reactionaries and "protectionists of the Pat Buchanan stripe [who] could fit into a phone booth."

Well, something is slouching toward Washington to be born, all right. But it does not appear to be a free trade majority. Here is how the alarmed editorialists of the Financial Times described what went down in the CAFTA vote Wednesday night on the Hill.

"The White House and the Republican leadership had to resort to every trick in the book to get the bill passed. Mr. Bush and Dick Cheney ... worked the Republican caucus in person. House leaders cut side-deals and loaded pork on the highways and energy bills. With the free trade cause alone insufficient to carry a majority, the bill's sponsors talked national security: the need to protect fragile democracies against the leftist populism of Hugh Chavez and Fidel Castro."

Concluded the FT, "The narrow margins and the intensely partisan vote are matters of serious concern."

You got that right, fellas.

To win a 217-215 vote for a trade deal with five tiny Central American countries and the Dominican Republic, with combined economies not 1 percent of our own, the GOP leadership had to hold voting open for 45 minutes after the allotted 15 minutes expired. Otherwise, they would have lost. As for the WSJ heroine of '03, Pelosi, she led 185 Democrats in opposition. Only 15 Democrats voted for CAFTA.

Query: If, two years ago, the "protectionists of the Pat Buchanan stripe could fit into a phone booth," what can we say today of the Wall Street Journal's "CAFTA 15"?

The Journal seems to be awakening to the revolution even as it cannot understand the causes. On Monday, it wrote: "The political recriminations from the cliff-hanger passage of [CAFTA] are even worse than we thought. Nancy Pelosi, the House minority leader, is contemplating revenge against the 15 Democrats ..."

The editorial then bugled the cavalry, "We trust the business community will appreciate that Democrats who break with their party's new liberal isolationism deserve support."

What the Journal is doing here is congratulating Democrats for selling out their constituents and signaling its corporate chums to reward them for the betrayal with campaign cash from the political war chests of the Business Roundtable, Fortune 500 and U.S. Chamber of Commerce. The Journal is calling for corporate payoffs for the Democratic turncoats.

We all know how the game is played. But the Journal and its con-celebrants of free trade should ask themselves why, if their case for free trade is so strong, their logic so compelling and the benefits so manifest, they need to bribe congressmen and, as Rep. Jim Kolbe sweetly put it, "break arms into a thousand pieces."

If you have a good case, why does the president have to go to the Hill and play the Sandinista card?

The free-trade True Believers need to ask themselves why they are losing Congress when they have all the king's horses and all the king's men behind them: The New York Times and Washington Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal, the Heritage Foundation, Cato and Brookings, National Review and the New Republic, Congress and the White House, and most of the corporate lobbyists and big campaign contributors.

Answer: The free-traders are losing Congress because they have lost the country. Every community has now seen factories shut and jobs shipped overseas. Working men and women know their wages are barely keeping up with inflation. They worry about their country's dependency on foreign goods and foreign money. They all now have friends who have lost jobs to outsourcing.

They see the foreign folks pouring in to take jobs from neighbors, and they know the mass invasion of America by armies of illegal aliens is depressing wages, no matter how often the politicians and their corporate contributors say, "Hey, it's a free lunch." They do not need a degree in economics to know a $700 billion trade deficit says something is wrong with America.

A revolution is brewing over the U.S. government's failure to defend America's borders and its betrayal of working Americans via the conscious export of their jobs and importation of foreign labor to compete with U.S. workers at half the wages. The eventual rout of the open-borders, free-trade crowd approaches. That's the real meaning of the midnight rescue of CAFTA.
    ----------------------------
    I hope Pat's right about the "eventual rout". Let's hope it's sooner than later. The reports of FTAA and a guest-worker amnesty coming to us this fall are scary. The "rout" needs to start happening now!!!!
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." (Thomas Paine 1776 "Common Sense") "The cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." ("Common Sense")

Pat is correct about things more often than not. If you read his book "The Death of the West", which was written about 8 years ago, all of that stuff is happening now. Call him what you want, the guy's pretty smart.

I think he's dead on about this, too.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

How come I never get anything added to the homepage!
    I suck.

Pat is one smart cookie....the neocons tore him to shreds when he was running. Just like they made Perot out to be a loony, they labeled Pat antisemitic.

He just tells it like it is and they hate him for it. He would have made a good President but too bad he wasn't a globalist.

You have to belong to the globalist club if you are either a Democrat or a Republican trying to run for President. No one else need apply.

Quote Originally Posted by nhantimassredrebel
    How come I never get anything added to the homepage!
    I suck.
    NO, you don't suck!! It's just timing and the article of the moment!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

[
    You have to belong to the globalist club if you are either a Democrat or a Republican trying to run for President. No one else need apply.
    NOT ANY MORE!!

The President, GOP, and Globalists have lost the country.

THEY are Out, and WE are In.

P. S. Hey Gobbies, it's time to get those Limos Gassed Up and make your run out here and if I may suggest, I'd head south and not stop until I hit Peru, if I were you!!

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Pat is right on ...they have absolutely lost the country...if anyone in the US still believes anything these politicos have to say...I'd really be surprised....they didn't lose a little...they lost it ALL as hope died when they voted in CAFTA against the will of 98% of the people. They said 'The hell with the people'...so now the people will return the compliment....in Spades!!

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

RoadRunner wrote:
    They said 'The hell with the people'...so now the people will return the compliment....in Spades!!
    And it will be our great and prideful pleasure to do so!

A revolution is brewing over the U.S. government's failure to defend America's borders and its betrayal of working Americans via the conscious export of their jobs and importation of foreign labor to compete with U.S. workers at half the wages. The eventual rout of the open-borders, free-trade crowd approaches. That's the real meaning of the midnight rescue of CAFTA.

Next will be the FTAA, but those who don’t care about Trade agreements will not pay attention and it will fly through congress just like CAFTA and we will be living in a third world country within ten years.

It will not Be the United States of America. It will be “The Americas� with borders from Canada to Mexico and we will be one Nation. The goal is to sign this by Dec. 31, 2005!

So go to sleep and wake up in a new country because that is what will happen if the same morons that passed CAFTA passes the FTAA and ‘We the People� sit on our collective laurels and allow it to happen. I will not let my county go so easily, WILL YOU?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast