Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Pinal County Deputy Placed on Administrative Leave

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/in ... -12-1-2010

FLORENCE - He was shot in the torso by drug mules in what was described as an "ambush" in the Pinal County desert. His story was questioned, but a forensic investigation found that Deputy Louie Puroll's story fit the evidence. Now, he's been placed on administrative leave because of statements he allegedly made to a reporter.

"Pinalcchio" -- likening the deputy to the consistently fibbing fairy tale character, the Phoenix New Times article raised flags at the deputy's story and prompted independent review. According to the Pinal County Sheriff's Office, Puroll was put on paid administrative leave Wednesday because of the comments he made to the author, Paul Rubin.

Puroll told investigators he was following a group of smugglers carrying bales of marijuana when he was ambushed by men firing AK-47 rifles about 50 miles south of Phoenix on April 30. In what Puroll described as a running gunbattle, he was grazed by a bullet in the back.

Rubin wrote an article claiming that Puroll made up the story to stoke the fervor over illegal immigration. Independent testing eventually backed up the deputy's story.

According to Pinal County Sheriff's Office, Puroll allegedly said the following to Rubin during a followup interview, "Now that that's off [tape recorder], let me tell you something. You're lucky to be alive right now" -- referring to a friend who offered to murder the journalist in retaliation for the article.

Puroll also allegedly told Rubin that known Mexican drug cartel operatives "have approached him four or five times over the years wanting to do business" and "They didn't want me to sell or buy the stuff, just that they'd make it worth my while to look the other way out in the desert if I bumped into them."

Rubin further contended that Puroll told him that other shooting incidents he has been involved in during his life would make the last incident "seem like eating lunch at the Dairy Queen."

Sheriff Paul Babeu stated, “If the statements reported in the article written by Mr. Rubin are in fact proven accurate, the conduct of Deputy Puroll is not consistent with Pinal County Sheriff’s Office policies nor do I approve of the way in which he represented our sworn profession.â€
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!

The "reporter," Paul Rubin, actually got his face on TV for this one. I don't believe a word of it. If the deputy did express what some local sentiment is against the "reporter" and his rag, THE ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY called the Phoenix New Times I would have to say it is only to be expected after the way they have publicly harassed and humiliated him for months. Click on the link to see the front page graphic calling the Deputy "Pinalcchio." Anyways, the way I read it is they didn't get the deputy on tape saying that - it is all hearsay being presented as factual news - Paul Rubin and his employer have zero credibility with me.

This is a segment of the poison Arizona politics. Phoenix New Times co-owner, Michael Lacey, is funding ACLU lawsuits against the State of AZ for SB 1070 and it appears that he has made it his personal mission to defame anybody who supports SB1070. He also owns the Miami New Times and the Village Voice, a paper I once idolized in my liberal youth. Not any more!
    Restitution to Displaced Citizens First!