kob.com

KOB Eyewitness News 4
By: Stuart Dyson,
Posted at: 01/03/2012 7:01 PM

Video at link

The push to ban driver's licenses for illegal immigrants appears to be gaining some momentum with the legislature's 30 day session starting in just two weeks.

Governor Susana Martinez is picking up some support for her crusade against the licenses, but she appears to be losing a vote too. Some Democrats are moving into the "undecided" category.

Sen. Steve Fischmann, a Dona Ana County Democrat, is switching to the governor's side, saying he will vote with her because that is what the vast majority of people in hid district want.

"I'll likely vote for it, but I'll be holding my nose a little bit," Fischmann said.

Gallup Democratic Sen. George Munoz now said he could go either way, and he is not the only one.

But the newest member of the Senate, Democrat Linda Curtis of Albuquerque, is not likely to support the Governor. Two county commissions appointed her to fill a vacancy in a heavily Republican district.

"If legislators started to do exactly what their constituents want them to do, then that law would be repealed," Martinez said. "I'm not gonna give up. You know, often they'll talk about, well, it's controversial, there's only a 30 day session. This issue has been debated to no end. It's time to vote!"

The governor probably has the votes to pass her bill the way it passed last year, but the Senate is a different story. That is where Martinez needs to pick up votes if she is going to be successful.

New Mexico is the only state with a wide-open policy allowing licenses for illegal immigrants. Two other states, Utah and Washington, offer them with tight restrictions.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s....shtml?cat=504