Retired Texan Ranger Says He’s Saddened by Violence Along Border

Last Update: 7:13 pm

CHANNEL 5 NEWS (KRGV, 2010)
MISSION - One of the men behind Thursday's shootout along the Rio Grande between U.S. authorities and Mexican drug smugglers is speaking out about what happened on the river.

Operation Iron Horse will remain on the mind of this newly retired state police captain.

Robert Bullack just retired as captain with the Texas Rangers. His last operation set its sights on smugglers working in the Valley, a mission that ended with Thursday's violent confrontation on the Rio Grande.

"One bullet fired at us, 10 bullets, six bullets. That's six people that could have been killed out there, but they do it because they love their state, they love their communities, they love each one of you," says Bullack.

Growing up in El Paso, Bullack knows life along the border. He's saddened to see the peace and tranquility he once knew is gone.

"I can remember as a kid going across that river in Santa Rosario and getting my haircut with my brothers. We can’t do that anymore. I want those days back to take my grandkids across the border to get their haircuts and enjoy the times we have," says Bullack.

Bullack's concerns are echoed on the minds of other officers. Ruthless drug cartels have waged a battle on U.S. law enforcement.

"This environment of crime and intimidation and fear is pervasive to our friends and neighbors across the river, and we do not want that in Texas," says Col. Pete Flores with Texas Parks & Wildlife.

Bullack is stepping into retirement but leaves an unwavering determination behind, a mission carried on by other men and women, regardless of their badge.

Thursday's incident was the first time state game wardens were fired upon while on the Rio Grande.

http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Re ... utoiQ.cspx