Results 1 to 2 of 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Rights and Available Benefits After a Grant of Asylum

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

  1. #1
    Senior Member JohnDoe2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    PARADISE (San Diego)

    Rights and Available Benefits After a Grant of Asylum

    Rights and Available Benefits After a Grant of Asylum

    After you receive your final approval of asylum, you can apply for certain immigration-related and other government benefits and services.

    By Dagmar R. Myslinska

    After you receive your final approval of asylum, you can apply for certain immigration-related and other government benefits and services. These will help you and your family adjust to living in the Unites States. Be sure to act quickly, because some benefits are available only for a limited time after you are granted asylum.

    Here you will find guidance on what benefits might be available to you after you obtain asylum, and how to apply for them.

    Note that you are not yet eligible for asylee benefits if your asylum case is on appeal or if you only received conditional or recommended approval.

    Making Sure Your Spouse and Unmarried Children Receive(d) Asylum

    Once you have been granted asylum, your immediate family members (spouse and children)—whether they are in the U.S. or outside—are entitled to a “derivative” grant of asylum. If your spouse and children were included in your asylum application and are physically present in the U.S., they will automatically receive asylum at the same time as you.

    If they are overseas, or were not included in your application, you can file USCIS Form I-730, Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition to obtain asylum for them. Use a separate form for each family member.

    For your spouse to be eligible for asylum, the two of you must have been legally married (that is, with a government-issued certificate) before you were granted asylum. For your children to be eligible, they must be unmarried and younger than 21.

    It would also be wise to make your spouse and children aware that, even if you were to die after receiving asylum, they will continue to have asylum status so long as they lived in the U.S. at the time of death and continue to live in the U.S. at the time of submitting an “adjustment of status” application (for a green card). What’s more, they should be able to apply for U.S. lawful permanent residence (a green card) after one year, like any other asylee.

    Obtaining Benefits Through a Local Refugee Resettlement Agency

    As soon as possible after obtaining asylum, you should contact a Refugee Resettlement Agency (RRA). The RRA should be able to help you adjust to living in the United States. RRAs may help you even if you are already working.

    Depending on the local agency, and on your individual circumstances (including your family size, income, and savings), RRAs might help you in some of the following ways:

    • provide cash, housing, and/or living-expenses assistance
    • help you apply for government benefits and services (such as an Social Security card, refugee travel document, health care, and food stamps)
    • enroll you in English as a Second Language (ESL) classes
    • offer job-training classes, counseling, and job placement services, and
    • provide you with psychological counseling.

    Be aware that some services have application deadlines. That is, you must apply for some programs offered to asylees within a certain time period (as few as 30 days after you were granted asylum) in order to be eligible. To find the closest RRA, call the Asylee Information and Referral Hotline, at 1-800-354-0365, or visit the Office of Refugee Resettlement website.

    Applying for a Social Security Card

    Also, some of the services you may be eligible for have expiration dates. Some benefits for which RRAs may help you apply are available only during the first seven years after you are granted asylum. These include: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) (if you are disabled); food stamps; Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF); Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC); and Medicaid (health care benefits). Once you get your green card or become a U.S. citizen, you might be able to extend your eligibility for certain public benefits.

    Asylees are automatically eligible to work in the United States. You do not need an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to do so, but some find that an EAD is handy proof of identification if you do not have a passport or another photo ID. However, you should apply for a Social Security card, which employers will ask for, and which will enable you to pay taxes and apply for various public benefits. As an asylee, you are eligible for an “unrestricted” Social Security card, which does not place any limitations on your employment.

    To obtain your Social Security card, go to your local Social Security Administration office. To find an office near you, call 1-800-772-1213 or use the Social Security Office Locator online. Bring original proof of your asylum grant, and proof of identity (such as a passport or state-issued ID card), and a completed Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card.

    Make sure to keep a receipt from the Social Security Administration that you had applied for a Social Security number to show other agencies if you apply for public benefits before you get your card.

    You will receive your Social Security card in the mail within a few weeks. Double check that it does not have any restrictions written on it. If you do not receive it or if it has restrictions, return to the same Social Security office to inquire.

    If you currently have a restricted Social Security number, you should go to the Social Security office and apply for an unrestricted card. Again, make sure to bring documentation proving that you were granted asylum.

    Getting a Driver’s License or a State Identification Card

    As an asylee, you may obtain an official identification (ID) card or driver's license from the state where you live. Most states require that you have a Social Security number before issuing your ID card or driver's license.

    One Year After Your Grant of Asylum: Applying for Your Green Card

    After you have lived in the U.S. for one year since your grant of asylum, you can apply for a green card. In technical terms, this is called “adjusting” your status to “lawful permanent resident.”

    For guidance on why it is important to apply for permanent residence as soon as possible, and what you need for a successful application, see
    How to Apply for Permanent Residence as an Asylee.

    Traveling Abroad and Reentering the U.S.

    In order to reenter the U.S. after temporary travel abroad, you will need a refugee travel document. You can obtain it by filing USCIS Form I-131, Application for Travel Document. It might take several months for you to receive it. Travel documents expire so also make sure that your travel document will still be valid when you try to reenter the United States.

    You should never go back to the country from which you are claiming persecution. If you do, the U.S. government may decide that you do not fear persecution there anymore, and take away your asylum status. Similarly, do not travel using a passport issued by the country from which you had claimed persecution.

    Four Years After Obtaining Your Green Card: Applying for U.S. Citizenship

    You may apply for U.S. citizenship (to "naturalize") four years after obtaining your green card by filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.
    Technically, you are eligible to apply for citizenship five years after you officially become a permanent resident. However, one year of your time as an asylee counts as if you already had a green card. This is known as “rollback.” Hence, your green card will specify your starting permanent residence date as one year before your residence application was actually approved. See How to Become a U.S. Citizen.


    Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

    Sign in and post comments here.

    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here

  2. #2
    Super Moderator GeorgiaPeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    More fleecing and a fast track to green cards and citizenship. The poor, uneducated, unskilled with many children will continue to be supported by citizen taxpayers. Chain migration will bring in many more.

    Perfect future voters for democrats and supporters of socialism and open borders.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 11-27-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-28-2018, 04:11 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2017, 06:52 PM
  3. Greg Abbott: Obama Has 'No Legal Authority' to Grant Rights to Illegals
    By Jean in forum illegal immigration News Stories & Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2014, 03:43 AM
  4. Constitution does not grant rights and privileges to enemies
    By AirborneSapper7 in forum Other Topics News and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts