Check out the comments following the story. I think they have definitely awakened the real sleeping giant now!

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006...7_155_2_06.txt

Local Latinos pleased with protest participation

By: EDWARD SIFUENTES - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY ---- A day after thousands of people participated in immigrant rights protests in North County, local Latino merchants and community leaders said they were pleased with the outcome of their efforts.

View A Video

Some organizers called the nationwide demonstrations "A Day Without Immigrants." Others called it "The Great American Boycott." Whatever the name, the effects of the boycott were evident in many areas of North County.

Police agencies reported pockets of unruly behavior, including a tense standoff between a crowd and scores of police in riot gear in Vista, among the largely peaceful demonstrations.

Business owners who closed their establishments for the day said their losses were minor. And pro-immigrant activists said participation in the rallies was larger than they expected.

"It brought attention to the economic contribution that immigrants make in this country," said Consuelo Martinez, an activist with the Escondido Human Rights Committee that participated in a rally at Grape Day Park in Escondido.

The protests were spurred by proposals in Congress to toughen immigration laws, including House Resolution 4437, a bill by U.S. Rep. James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., that includes declaring all illegal aliens to be felons subject to deportation.

Martinez said that while the boycott was largely "symbolic," in some parts of town she saw many closed businesses and fewer shoppers than usual.

Not everyone agreed. Escondido Councilwoman Marie Waldron called the boycott a "blackmail attempt to move our nation to support lawbreaking."

Waldron said traffic was noticeably lighter Monday, but she said she noticed little difference in restaurants and shops she visited in the city.

"Someone told me how easy it was to get around," Waldron said. "If it was like this every day, then we wouldn't need new highways, new high schools or new hospitals."

As part of the day of protest, supporters stayed away from work, abstained from shopping, avoided classrooms and took to the streets waiving banners and flags.

"It was a little hard on us, but I think it was worth it because it helped," said Ana Lilia Lara, whose family owns Francisco's Mexican Delicatessen in Vista.

The small deli serves Mexican dishes to a largely Latino clientele. Lara said the deli closed Monday for the first time in its 17-year history. She said many of her clients are Mexican men working illegally in the country, far from their families and likely to benefit from the legalization programs advocates promoted in Monday's protests.

"Many of them said thank you for supporting us," Lara said.

North County school officials estimated there were about 10,000 more absentees than usual Monday.

Martinez said she had feared that worries about immigration enforcement raids would deter participation in the marches. But thousands of workers, students and other supporters gathered at parks and marched along busy roadways while drivers honked their horns.

Smaller crowds of counterprotesters gathered opposite of some of the rallies.

The crowd at Grape Day Park peaked at about 2,500 people, according to police. The Escondido demonstration was generally peaceful, said Lt. David Mankin, spokesman for the Escondido Police Department. But as it was ending Monday night at the park, someone was stabbed and people threw rocks at officers.

There were no arrests, Mankin said Tuesday.

The stabbing victim suddenly didn't feel right as he was leaving the demonstration, Mankin said. He looked down and saw blood coming from his abdomen, the lieutenant said. Mankin said the victim, whose name was not available, went to Palomar Medical Center for treatment on his own.

"The person said there were people everywhere," the lieutenant said. "They had no idea what happened."

After the Grape Day Park event broke up, an unexpected demonstration started about 10 p.m., Mankin said.

He said 250 to 300 young people, teens or people in their early 20s, marched from Washington Avenue to Lincoln Street and from Broadway to Ash. Sometimes they walked in traffic, forcing drivers to swerve, the lieutenant said.

"They tried to walk onto the freeway, Highway 78," Mankin said. "Officers were able to divert them back onto Broadway."

At one point, the marchers blocked the intersection at Broadway and Washington, but officers were able to clear them away.

In Vista, a rally at Wildwood Park attracted more than 1,200 demonstrators, with organizers estimating peak crowds at more than 2,000.

After the event at the park ended, "opportunists" may have taken advantage of the day's protests to create problems, said Capt. Glenn Revell, spokesman for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

"We believe that 100 to 150 incited 1,000 others eventually at the end of what had been a peaceful demonstration," Revell said. "We believe some (of the 100 to 150) are definitely either gang members or associates of gang members."

He said the small "splinter group bent on violent behavior" incited others at North California and Santa Fe avenues. Rocks and bottles were thrown, and officers shut down North Santa Fe Avenue because of the crowd. Officers eventually had a standoff with protesters who refused to go home, threatening people with arrest before the crowd dispersed.

Throughout the day, people on both sides of immigration issues had been talking without problems at the event, Revell said.

"There seemed to be an air of disagreement without disrespect," Revell said Tuesday. "We're disappointed that a handful of people turned it into something else late in the evening."

Despite the problems, there were no injuries and no arrests at the time, despite some minor damage to two patrol cars, he said.

That doesn't mean charges might not be filed on certain people after videotapes and accounts of what happened are reviewed, Revell said.

He said the small "splinter group bent on violent behavior" incited others at North California and Santa Fe avenues. And at 7:50 p.m., rocks and bottles were being thrown at the six to 10 deputies.

Despite the unrest, some Latinos called the protests a success.

"I think it was unfortunate, because overall, everyone was peaceful," said Alan Cabrera, who demonstrated his support by closing his printing business Monday.

Cabrera said the day's events allowed immigrants, who are not eligible to vote, to voice their opinion on the immigration reform debate.

"People got a lot out of their systems," he said. "It wasn't counterproductive. There was solidarity. This is about human rights, justice and equality."

Staff Writers Jo Moreland and Brenda Duran contributed to this report. Contact staff writer Edward Sifuentes at (760) 740-3511 or esifuentes2@nctimes.com.

Previous Story:
Next Story: Surreal scene gripped Vista streets Monday night

Comments On This Story

Note: Comments reflect the views of readers and not necessarily those of the North County Times or its staff.
susie wrote on May 02, 2006 11:11 PM:" Marie is right on!! We have been raised to trust the democratic process. These people who entered our country illegally continue to break the law. Its a slap in the face to those who came legally and to our veterans fighting for our country. "

American wrote on May 02, 2006 11:33 PM:"It was a GREAT day on Monday. All the illegals were not on the streets or in the stores. Thank you for waking up the middle class of this country. Now you will REALLY not get amnesty. Too bad you boycotted your own stores and resturants, because American citizens still ate yesterday, still went shopping, and had a wonderful day! Keep it up!! By the way, I am of Mexican heritage, but first and for most, I am an AMERICAN. I want my country back. God Bless the USA!"

Mark wrote on May 03, 2006 12:37 AM:"Yes Marie has got it right!!! Isn't she running for the 74th Assembly seat? We NEED her in Sacramento where it seems the legislature is on the side of illegal immigrants, not law-abiding American citizens."

mary wrote on May 03, 2006 12:50 AM:"Lets call it what it really is; a day without illegal aliens."

Bill in O'sd wrote on May 03, 2006 4:00 AM:"I thought it was great! Please "boycott" more. How about a year or two this time?"

Still Don't Get It wrote on May 03, 2006 6:25 AM:"I don't think I've heard anyone doubt the contribution IMMIGRANTS make to this country. After all, America was created by IMMIGRANTS. The dispute is simply with those who have entered the country as ILLEGAL ALIENS. The media consistenly mis-represents the issue by dropping the key word ILLEGAL. There can be no solution to an issue that is so mis-represented and/or so mis-understood. Keep it simple to say on point ... IMMIGRATION good ... ILLEGAL ALIENS bad."

kiki wrote on May 03, 2006 6:38 AM:"I'm glad America is waking up to the blackmail that is going on. Face it, the illegals can not make it without AMERICA, if they invaded another country(even their own) they would be shot like mad dogs. I personally find that having large numbers of illegals gathered in one place frees me to be in another without over crowding, like parks, streets, freeways and schools. Come legal or don't come at all. "

Robert wrote on May 03, 2006 6:58 AM:"I noticed that news services are reporting that the legislation before congress would "criminalize illegal immigrants". First, please do not try to twist my mind like some discount Madison Avenue ad agency or some cheap underworld politician who thinks my intelligence is below 50, my education level 6th grade, and my memory defective. Illegal aliens ARE criminals. I support treating them with compassion, but don't make a laughing stock of my government, the U.S. Constitution, and the law of the land. These people are ILLEGAL ALIENS, they are not immigrants. Immigrants are people who have legally entered our country and go about their day-to-day business legally IN THE LIGHT, not in the shadows. The shadows are where criminals dwell. For those of us who have gone through the legal rigors of obtaining documented status and gone on to become naturalized, it's a slap in our face. Don't cheapen the experience of those of us who have felt the pride of being sworn in as a citizen of the United States. Stop this ridiculous hypocrisy. I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America so help me God. Perhaps everyone should step back, read, and understand the oath of allegiance that is part of the naturalization ceremony: “I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God." Any questions, pilgrim? "

Robert wrote on May 03, 2006 7:04 AM:"All I wish is that they ship all illgals back where they cam from; they cost us nothing but money in and out of jail where most of them are. They are nothing but trouble and want everything for nothing."

Ray wrote on May 03, 2006 7:26 AM:"I thought EDWARD SIFUENTES left the NCT for a job in Florida, what, job didn't work out. The only people hurt during this boycott were their own businesses which closed. They shot themselves in the foot on this one. Told you so folks."

John Q wrote on May 03, 2006 7:39 AM:"Being an Escondido resident, I feel extremely happy to hear the comments from Marie... It's a shame that gangs are still an accepted part of our society here in SoCal. If there were approx 100 gang members in the Vista rally, what are they doing free in our streets?"

Robert wrote on May 03, 2006 7:41 AM:"I'm happy to see Councilwoman Waldron's comments, but what is actually being done locally? Is it time for Escondido to pass an ordinance similuar to one Costa Mesa passed recently? I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but something needs to be done. Talk is cheap. We need real leadership in Sacramento."

El Guero wrote on May 03, 2006 7:47 AM:"The demonstrators demonstrated nothing except their contempt for the concerns of American citizens and their arrogance in demanding 'compassion' and 'respect.' How does anyone demand these things? Don't they have to be earned?"

Robroy wrote on May 03, 2006 7:56 AM:"In 'peaceful' Escondido, there was a stabbing, there was rock throwing at police, and there were attempts to block streets and the freeway. No arrests! Headline: 'Local Latinos Pleased With Protest Participation"! Maybe the NCTimes and reporter Sifuentes did not expect anyone to read the whole article. What happened Monday was not a 'largely peaceful' protest. Protest leaders should be held accountable for the violence they are instigating!"

Who? wrote on May 03, 2006 8:12 AM:"Francisco's Mexican Delicatessen? Where is that? Must not have been much of a loss."

debbie wrote on May 03, 2006 8:29 AM:"I want to know how you can tell the difference between an illegal immigrant and legal immigrant, Do the have numbers on the back of thier necks. All the people i know that are illegal immigrants are not getting welfare or food stamps. they are working hard to feed there familys. i don't here the ones that are getting the tax refunds complaining because they got more money back at the end of the year. instead of showing your Racist attitude why not find a solution. OPEN THE BORDER. I have seen alot of americans go to Mexico and disrepect the people out there and i don't see anyone standing up for them."

Tomas in San Marcos wrote on May 03, 2006 8:29 AM:"How come no-one is covering a big part of the reason many immigrants stayed home from work: Intimidation. Our landscaping contractor uses only legal labor, and pays them well, but his guys were afraid to come to work, because they were worried their homes would be vandalized. The organizers of this event are the type of people (Communists) who run the countries that are such a mess that people need to escape them, at risk of their lives, and now they want to bring their thuggery here. I'm an immigrant, a legal one, and I'm in favor fo liberalizing legal immigration, but I'm not in favor of rewarding lawbreaking, or caving in to blackmail. I came here to get away from the politics of intimidation, and one small group or another holding the whole economy hostage with strikes. We should have had the INS at the protests, and checked everyone for proper papers, and immediately deported those who were breaking the law."

DW wrote on May 03, 2006 8:50 AM:"Two things: 1- Pres. Fox is a genious, he is liquidating his surplus labor, while welcoming wealthy Americans and Europeans to retire there. Also this surplus labor is sending money back into his country. These Mexican refugees also feel Mexico is the best country in the world even though it is a racist class system. #2- The Soviet Union collapsed because of communism and are currently developing a democratic capitalist system. America is shifting towards a socialsitic system-are we going to collapse?"

Rick wrote on May 03, 2006 8:56 AM:"When I read NCT, it seems like half the reporters are illegal immigrants. Report the story, not your views. Don't try to undermine the violence that occured. Stabbing, rocks and bottles at police...ho hum. "

Cynthia wrote on May 03, 2006 8:57 AM:"It seems sad to me that you are so closed minded to the plight of others. The majority of the comments posted here are uneducated and hurtful. The point, in case it needed to be spelled out for you, was that immigrants both legal and illegal do contribute to the community, especially in an economic sense. This contribution would be missed if immigrants were not here. The next goal need to be to get all of the U.S. born Latinos registered to vote so that our "legal" voices can be heard. "