Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Schwarzenegger gets earful on immigration, crime

By Kate Folmar
    Mercury News Sacramento Bureau

LA MESA - A heavily Republican crowd grilled Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger during a campaign appearance in Southern California Tuesday, barraging him with questions about immigration and crime.

The same day a statewide poll showed Schwarzenegger leading Democrat Phil Angelides by eight percentage points, the governor started the day with a question-and-answer session with 150 people at a park in the Republican stronghold of San Diego County.

A cane-carrying woman who identified herself as only Kelly addressed the governor first. She complained about police officers who ``battered me to a pulp.'' Schwarzenegger listened attentively and said he would look into it.

``Come on up here. I will protect you. Trust me. I will protect you,'' the governor told Kelly. ``It will never happen again. Give me a hug, give me a hug, everything will be ok.''

A teenager told the governor he was attacked by a group of men and had concerns about gang violence. The governor praised the boy for trying to avoid violence.

Things went downhill fast from there. Schwarzenegger told his first questioner on immigration that the federal government is responsible for securing the borders and should do a better job of it. And businesses should be able to hire immigrants when they have exhausted attempts to hire native-born employees.

Then Sally, who later identified herself as a volunteer with the Minuteman Project border patrol, stood up. She wanted to know where the National Guard members were on the border.

``I voted for you,'' she said. ``And right now, I don't see much difference between you and Phil Angelines,'' she said, mispronouncing the name of the governor's Democratic challenger.

``I don't see that you're standing up for the citizens of California,'' she said to scattered boos from Schwarzenegger fans and applause from those concerned about illegal immigration. ``You're on a thin piece of wall if you don't start changing your attitude.

``Well, thank you for the compliment,'' the governor replied. National Guard members are at the border. He ``can totally understand your frustration about the immigration'' because the federal government has done a ``terrible job'' on immigration.

``I'm going to try to represent you as well as possible and I will make sure that you have confidence in me so that you will vote for me.''

Then came a question from a woman who likened Schwarzenegger to Ronald Reagan and wanted to take a photograph with him. But she also wanted ``my country back'' from illegal immigrants.

``I totally understand exactly what you're saying, and I think it's very important to never get mad at anyone that is trying to come to this country,'' some of whom are fleeing economic ``misery,'' the governor said. ``What you should be mad about -- what I'm mad about is -- for the federal government not being able to secure the borders.''

As he answered, someone interjected. ``Please don't interrupt me when I talk, thank you very much'' Schwarzenegger bristled. ``I let you talk also.''

``You can ask me all you want about immigration,'' he continued. But ``it's not a state issue.''

So insurance agent and law-and-order activist Brad Boswell drilled in on another topic -- the governor's parole policies. Boswell cited news reports about a parolee who went on a drug-fueled crime spree in San Bernardino county.

``I'm very, very concerned about your record on crime,'' he said. ``You've let out more murderers than Michael Dukakis,'' the former Massachusetts governor who lost the 1988 presidential race amid allegations that he was soft on crime.

The governor thanked him and said he was ``very proud that we have been tough on crime.'' And he urged passage of the anti-sex-offender Jessica's Law ballot initiative in November.

``The governor said all along that he wants to have real questions, have real questions from real people about what's important to them,'' said Katie Levinson, a campaign spokeswoman for the governor. ``What you saw today was the governor taking real questions from real people. They weren't scripted.

``He enjoys the back-and-forth. He enjoys being out with people who agree with him and people who disagree with him alike.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 119561.htm
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Iig

Re: Schwarzenegger gets earful on immigration, crime

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    Did anyone happen to ask him if he felt that immigrating legally was essential to BEING American? Does he feel that assimilating has robbed him of his Austrian culture? Will he tell illegal immigrants to stop coming, to stay and improve their own country?

The chapeau fascinates.
    "I have not yet begun to fight!" John Paul Jones

Just like a true snake oil politican, doing the political two step on immigration, it's a federal issue, blah, blah, blah. Horsesh_t Arnie. It's every bit of a state issue. Your state is under seige and it's your duty to protect your constituents from your state being invaded. This it's a federal issue is just a lame excuse to justify doing absolutely nothing. It's not only your duty as a governor, but as a citizen to defend this country against all enemies foreign and domestic, or have you convienently forgotten? There is many things you can do, but your just too much of a political coward and don't want to offend the radicals who have taken over your pathetic state. Your wife even got a taste of what this crowd is all about, but your too much of a (word begins with a P and ends in a Y) to even have the backbone to defend your wifes honor. All that muscle and no brains or backbone, no wonder your getting flabby in your old age.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn