February 8, 2007

Harley G. Lappin Director Federal Bureau of Prisons United States Department of Justice Washington, DC 20510

Dear Mr. Lappin:

As you know, Agents Jose Alonso Compean and Ignacio Ramos were convicted in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas on March 8, 2006. They were then sentenced on October 19, 2006, to 12 and 11 years and 1 month in prison, respectively, for shooting at Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila. Mr. Aldrete-Davila was a drug smuggler who had driven a van containing 743 pounds of marijuana across the Mexican border into Texas. He was shot while fleeing from these Agents in an attempt to cross the border into Mexico and avoid apprehension. Agents Ramos and Compean were denied bail pending appeal, and as directed, they both then self-reported to begin serving their sentences. Agent Ramos was placed into your care at the Yazoo City Federal Correctional Complex (FCC) in Mississippi.

I have learned that, last Saturday, Agent Ramos was beaten as he prepared to go to bed. According to press accounts, four other inmates of Mexican origin attacked him, kicked him in the head, the side and the shoulders with steel-toed boots. Agent Ramos was taken to the infirmary, and treated for his injuries. News reports state that Yazoo City’s prison guards did not stop the assault – and Agent Ramos’ family was not even notified of the beatings – learning of it only after they called to wish him Happy Birthday on Monday. Agent Ramos has been placed in a Special Housing Unit, segregated from other inmates, until an administrative review is completed.

According to a statement issued by Traci Billingsley of your office, “The assault occurred immediately following the airing of a television show that described Mr. Ramos’ case.” She further stated that "It is regrettable that Mr. Ramos was assaulted and the Bureau of Prisons will take appropriate actions to determine an appropriate housing status to ensure his ongoing safety."

The prison assault against Agent Ramos is not simply “regrettable” – it is intolerable. BOP is well aware of the inherent risks that federal agents always face when they are themselves sent to prison, and must interact with inmates who may have committed crimes they used to prosecute. And if Yazoo City prison officials allowed its inmate population to see a TV news story that highlighted Mr. Ramos’ case, I do not understand why they were not extra vigilant to ensure Agent Ramos’ safety.

I find these circumstances disturbing, and therefore ask that you provide me with the following information:

* Please describe all of the circumstances behind the recent assault against Agent Ramos while in federal custody, including any efforts undertaken to ensure Agent Ramos’ safety.

* Please describe and provide all documents relating to the basis for his security classification, his placement at Yazoo City FCC, whether he is in Yazoo’s Low or Medium security facility, and BOP’s rationale and risk-based findings that led to his designation there.

* Please describe any warnings and opportunities given to Agent Ramos to accept protective custody, explain whether after his initial refusal he was given any opportunity to reconsider protective custody once incarcerated and aware of added risks, and any security measures taken in recognition of his status as a former federal agent even in the absence of his placement in protective custody.

* Please provide copies of any documents relating to the investigation of this incident, including all witness statements, summaries of witness interviews, and any conclusions or reports.

I have asked the Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee to investigate this matter, and I therefore ask that you provide me with this requested information as expeditiously as possible.

Sincerely,

Dianne Feinstein United States Senator