Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Arizona immigration bill may be unconst

POLITICO

Sen. Lindsey Graham: Arizona immigration bill may be unconstitutional

By MANU RAJU | 4/27/10 1:00 PM EDT

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Tuesday that the tough new Arizona immigration law will probably be struck down by the courts on constitutional grounds. AP

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham said Tuesday that the tough new Arizona immigration law will probably be struck down by the courts on constitutional grounds.

"In my view it's all uphill under the law," Graham told reporters. "I think they'll have a hard time upholding this law, that's my view."

Graham, who quipped that he was "not the brightest lawyer in town," said he had a "reasonable suspicion if it comes down to the color of your skin or the ethnic background as the dominant reason, it shouldn't hold up."

His position creates some daylight with his close friend Sen. John McCain, who is facing a tough primary challenge in Arizona but has supported comprehensive immigration reform in the past.

McCain has called the Arizona law a "step forward" and a "good tool" but his office says it does not represent an endorsement.

The new law, which would give Arizona police broad new authority to crack down on suspected illegal immigrants, has effectively put the issue back on the top of the congressional agenda. But Graham, who was trying to negotiate a compromise, said an immigration bill is not ready for action.

To make his point, Graham at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing singled out 10 Democrats by name who he said probably would not support a comprehensive bill.

"I don't believe you can get comprehensive immigration reform anywhere near 60 votres until you deal with this war in Mexico," Graham said.

Kasie Hunt contributed to this report.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36418.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Unconstitutional for somebody to actually enforce laws?Look close Lindsey the arizona bill is already covered by fed. law they just dont enforce it. So now arizona will enforce it on a state level.

Sorry, but the last time I checked...OUR CONSITUTION doesn't cover Mexico or other Latin American countries or citizens of those countries!!

It's unconstitutional for the federal government to sit on their collective a_ _es and allow another country, Mexico in this case, to invade and occupy the USA!! Why are there over 70 Mexican consulates in this country when the rate of LEGAL immigration from Mexico does NOT warrant that! These Mexican Consulates are more like military outposts aiding and abetting Mexican citizens who are being encouraged by their government to enter the USA illegally, basically INVADING this country and tearing down its infrastructures in the process! If that's not an act of war...then what is???
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)

Sen. Lindsey

EXCUSE ME, senator Graham. Is it not the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT's CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY to ENFORCE IMMIGRATION LAW.
    If you spineless, corrupt, anti American citizen politicians would DO YOUR JOB, we would not even have an illegal alien problem.

Time will tell of course, but immigration law expert Kris Kobach helped draft this law no doubt knowing that the well-funded OBL crowd would challenge it.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Sen. Lindsey

Quote Originally Posted by Texan123
    EXCUSE ME, senator Graham. Is it not the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT's CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY to ENFORCE IMMIGRATION LAW.
    If you spineless, corrupt, anti American citizen politicians would DO YOUR JOB, we would not even have an illegal alien problem.
    AMEN!! If they would just start enforcing our existing immigration laws and beefing up security along our borders like they should have after 9-11, then we could go back to our business of running this nation, creating jobs FOR CITIZENS and getting out from under the weight of NAFTA without having to keep being distracted and undermined by these illegal aliens and their handlers running around, causing trouble, mouthing off about issues they're not supposed to have any say so in and basically being a total pain in the a _ _ for everyone in this country.

WE are at war...WE should NOT be worried about placating these illegal alien usurpers!! Their needs, wants and demands should NOT be taking up the time, energy and money it has been taking up in Washington! Making them and their anchor babies defacto citizens and rewarding them for disrespecting this nation, it's laws and it's citizens shouldn't even be an issue of any importance! THEY ARE NOT IMPORTANT! THEIR DEMANDS ARE NOT IMPORTANT!! THEIR WHINING should NOT be a PRIORITY! THE ONLY PRIORITY concerning them would be to arrest, FINE and deport them and to secure the borders against any further invasion by them!
    I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
    ~Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)