Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sheriff Jones to Bush: Let me snag illegals

Jones to Bush: Let me snag illegals

By Mary Lolli

butler county bureau

HAMILTON — Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones is asking President George W. Bush to by-pass federal protocal and give local law enforcement the authority to arrest illegal immigrants.

In a March 2 letter to Bush, Jones told the president the problem of illegal immigration had significantly impacted Butler County because of the numbers that commit crimes and end up in the county jail.

“I believe that I speak on behalf of the majority of constituents in my county when I ask you to lead and encourage legislation to be passed that will give local law enforcement the right to arrest persons that are in our country illegally,” Jones wrote. “The process of deportation is crippling my county, my state and my country and needs to be accelerated.

“The people of my county are disheartened with the federal government’s lack of security in the border states, and the resultant influx of illegal immigrants into the heartland,” Jones’ letter continues. “Mr. President, please secure our borders and assist in the speedy deportation of those already in our country illegally.”

Jones also asks Bush to abandon a proposed “guest worker” program and rather require new immigrants to apply for citizenship via established procedures.

Jones has gained both local and national media attention since October when he began billing U. S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement for the cost of housing suspected illegal aliens in the county jail.

The billing policy, charging the federal government $70 a day for each undocumented inmate, was part of a multi-tiered effort launched by Jones, county Commissioner Michael Fox and state Rep. Courtney Combs.

Jones estimated the county has borne more than $1 million in costs associated with housing nearly 900 suspected illegal aliens who have been booked into the county jail during the past year. Jones said he’s hoping federal officials sit up and take notice of the local problem.

To date, ICE has not responded to Jones’ monthly billings which now total $125,000, but the sheriff said he intends to continue sending them.

Jones last month said publically that he gave the president a failing grade in immigration enforcement. However, in his letter to Bush, Jones emphasizes the fact that he personally supported the president’s last two elections and continues to support his presidency.

Contact Mary Lolli at (513) 820-2192, or e-mail her at mlolli@coxohio.com.

http://www.journal-news.com/hp/content/ ... =dh-030306

Personal Note: I wish ever single American Could meet Sheriff Jones and Sheriff Beck. The Finest Sheriffs, you could ever meet.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

WOW, Sheriff Jones and Sheriff Beck. The American people thank you so very much. Maybe he'll listen to you guys because he sure hasn't listened to US.

QUOTE:
    “Mr. President, please secure our borders and assist in the speedy deportation of those already in our country illegally.”

That's awfully nice. I'm not so sure he understands "nice".

But we'll cross our fingers and hope for the best. You guys are THE BEST !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We need to get some thank you letters to them. Doesn't it feel GREAT to know the voices of the American people ARE being heard by those who are not SELECTIVELY deaf and by those who can do something to help US.

I'm beginning to think the American people are some of the most taken advantage of in the world. It is quite clear that our voices are of very little importance to so many.....and to one in PARTICULAR.

Did President Bush respond to Sheriff Jones and Sheriff Beck ? I sure hope it wasn't a 'form letter'.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.journal-news.com

Jones’ stand on illegals goes global
    HAMILTON — On Friday, Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones’ tough local stance on illegal immigration earned him accolades from a national organization. On Monday, the sheriff’s efforts go international.

“This isn’t a Republican or Democrat issue. This is an American issue,” Jones said after accepting an “American Patriot” award from the Team America Political Action Committee, chaired by former U.S. Treasurer Angela “Bay” Buchanan.

Buchanan visited the sheriff’s office Friday afternoon to present the award to Jones for his crusade against illegal immigration.

On Monday, Owen Tudor, Director of the European Union and International Relations Department for the United Kingdom Trades Union Congress, is planning a 45-minute meeting with Jones. Tudor’s office called Jones’ office to arrange the meeting, saying Tudor planned to be in the region in March and wanted to talk with Jones after having followed Jones’ efforts in the media.

Jones has gained both local and national attention since October when he began billing U. S. Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement for the cost of housing suspected illegal aliens in the county jail.

The billing policy, charging the federal government $70 a day for each undocumented inmate in the jail, was part of a multi-tiered effort launched by Jones, county Commissioner Michael Fox and state Rep. Courtney Combs.

On Thursday, Jones sent a letter to President George W. Bush seeking legislation that would authorize local law enforcement agencies to arrest suspected illegal aliens — a responsibility that currently falls solely on federal authorities.

“Sheriff Jones’ has gone above and beyond the call of duty,” said Buchanan, whose organization is dedicated to border security issues. “Not only have his policies gotten the attention of federal authorities, but people across the country are talking about what’s going on here and they are supporting it.”

Buchanan said Team America sprang from frustration over the federal government “failing to do its job” in protecting U.S. borders.

“What it takes is citizens like Sheriff Jones having the courage to step forward and say `if the federal government won’t do its job, we’ll do it for them,’” Buchanan said.

Jones estimated Butler County has borne more than $1 million in costs associated with housing nearly 900 suspected illegal aliens who have been booked into the county jail during the past year. However, to date, ICE has not responded to Jones’ monthly billings which now total $125,000.

Meanwhile, the Butler County Community Alliance — a coalition of ministers, educators and community leaders dedicated to improving relations between English- and Spanish-speaking residents, is hosting a March 10 public meeting on immigration reform.

Leo Anchondo, spokesperson for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, will be the featured speaker for the meeting at 7:30 p.m. at the Fenmont Center, 229 N. Third St.

Contact Mary Lolli at (513) 820-2192, or e-mail her at mlolli@coxohio.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn