Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sob Story: Immigration system in tatters

Immigration system in tatters
    Threatened deportation tears apart West Chester family

By William Hershey and Jessica Wehrman
    Staff Writers
    Sunday, August 03, 2008

Ten-year-old Rosa holds her brother Armando, both U.S. citizens, in their West Chester apartment. Rosa's father, Armando, was recently arrested for a traffic violation. He is being held in the Butler County jail facing deportation. Gabriela Cabrera, the children's mother, is in the foreground.

Ohio is more than 1,000 miles from where illegal immigrants cross daily into this country on its southern border, but to get a temperature of the national debate over the deeply polarizing issue of immigration, look no further than Butler County.

There, tough-talking Sheriff Richard K. Jones has become a national crusader, railing against illegal immigrants, the employers who hire them, and the politicians who, he believes, avoid the issue.

"Start punishing and locking up the business owners who hire these people," Jones said last week. "I'm not talking about fining 'em $1,000.... I'm talking about taking assets in millions.... You'd only have to do a few.... They'd get the message."

His office is the only police agency in the Midwest authorized to participate in a program giving local officers limited authority to enforce federal immigration law.

Jones represents one side of the immigration coin. On the other side are the faces of people like Armando Mondragon, 29, who sits in jail while his wife, Gabriela Cabrera, waits fearfully in their West Chester apartment along with the couple's five children. Mondragon faces possible deportation after being pulled over on a traffic stop in June — his rear license plate was missing and he had no driver's license.

Mondragon had been working as a landscaper, said his wife through a translator. "I've talked to him. He's very sad," she said. "He's worried about the children."

The next president will inherit an immigration system in tatters, with no consensus on how to fix it. Many view illegal immigrants as economic poison, stealing desperately needed jobs and straining social services. They want aggressive enforcement and employer crackdowns.

Others see the issue though a more clouded lens. They see people who risked their lives to get here for jobs that Americans shunned. Most, they say, came for the same reason that immigrants have traditionally come here: economic opportunity and the chance to give their children a better life.

That's Mondragon and Cabrera, who left Mexico in 1996. The five children, all born in the United States, are legal U.S. citizens even though their parents are not. The youngest, twins Armando and Gabriela, are eight months old.

"We came here because it was very difficult for us in our country," Cabrera said. "I hope that God helps us to release my husband and have him here with us and not separate us."
    http://tinyurl.com/6ne5ll
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Of course what first stands out is that after 12 years the wife still needs a translator.

They will follow the husband back to his homeland. It is okay to feel sad about something like this -but it is a chance one takes when doing this.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

THE ILLEGAL CRIMINAL ALIENS AND THEIR ANCHOR BABIES DID NOT COME HERE LEGAL OR REMAIN LEGAL;

SEVEN HERE ILLEGALLY - SEVEN AMERICANS CHEATED OUT JOBS, HIGHER WAGES, RESOURCES,

THEN THE OVERCROWDING OF SCHOOLS, HEALTH CLINICS, RAISE IN CRIME SO MORE POLICE AND OTHER PROBLEM AREAS

I ONLY FEEL SORRY FOR AMERICANS, FIRST - sorry

Is that a TATOO I see on the hand of 10yr old Rosa? Could it possibly be a gang symbol? What is a child doing with tatoos on her body?

That's Mondragon and Cabrera, who left Mexico in 1996. The five children, all born in the United States, are legal U.S. citizens even though their parents are not. The youngest, twins Armando and Gabriela, are eight months old.
    IS ANYONE ENRAGED YET? These 5 kids were born in America to illegal aliens! WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE 14TH AMENDMENT!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Others see the issue though a more clouded lens. They see people who risked their lives to get here for jobs that Americans shunned. Most, they say, came for the same reason that immigrants have traditionally come here: economic opportunity and the chance to give their children a better life.
    The people who see through clouded lens are the people who don`t have to compete with the illegals like I do for a job. I guess it hasn`t impacted them, like it has me. And the jobs Americans shun is a bunch of bull. I worked on factory equimpment repairing them and get dirty everyday, (when I had a job), and I enjoy doing that kind of work. Who did it before they all invaded us? I`ve seen with my own eyes opportunity taken away from American citizens. It makes me sick. GO HOME INVADERS. And the anchor babies have to stop now. How stupid is our government to do nothing when the system is so abused.
    No man is good enough to govern another man without that other’s consent.
    Abraham Lincoln

1. The image of the mother in the photo is [intentionally?] obscured.
    Also, the article does not address her legal status. My take: she is IA as well.
    Which, allows me to make another pertinent point - the parents came here despite our legal immigration and THEN had children. If there's any separation that happens, it's the parents fault for choosing not to come to the US legally.

2. Because he had no DL (driver license) there is no way - even if he had previously sought, and purchased auto insurance - that the insurance would be valid. As soon as a motorist chooses to drive w/o a license, or drive with a suspended license your insurance will 'back away' (eg. not cover you, invalidate the policy, etc) from you and rather quickly. So, sheriff Jones has removed a motorist that was a). not qualified to drive on public streets and b). was a huge financial risk to local residents and other auto insurers - what's the problem?

I think he's serving the public interest by keeping this guy off the streets.

Americans didn't shun those jobs.....they just came and did it for cheaper. Immigrants came here for FREEDOM. And a CHANCE for a better life. Getting off a boat with nothing and going into the wildnerness, with no idea what to expect, and no guarentee of anything, to try and creat something....... is what they did. They created it. They made something from nothing and their original intent wasn't just money. Now that's all it seems to be for. Money. By hook, crook, legally or illegally.....just money and forget the rest.

Others see the issue though a more clouded lens. They see people who risked their lives to get here for jobs that Americans shunned. Most, they say, came for the same reason that immigrants have traditionally come here: economic opportunity and the chance to give their children a better life

Oh really? And how does coming here illegally to give one's children a better life figure into it when, as in this case, there were no children until AFTER the IAs came over here?

I'd be interested in seeing some statistics on the number of IAs who only become pregnant after they've entered this country. I'll bet those statistics would be VERY revealing indeed.

I'd be interested in seeing some statistics on the number of IAs who only become pregnant after they've entered this country. I'll bet those statistics would be VERY revealing indeed.
    Or who were pregnant and planned their journey in order to birth their already conceived child on American soil.

These children are also citizens of Mexico, so it shouldn't be a hardship for them to go home to their 'other' country.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast