Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Some fear checkpoints may target illegal immigrants

AND WHY SHOULDN'T THEY?

Published: Aug 07, 2008 11:37 AM
    Modified: Aug 07, 2008 11:59 AM

Some fear checkpoints may target illegal immigrants

By Kristin Collins, Staff WriterComment on this story
    A statewide push to catch drunk drivers has alarmed members of the Hispanic community, where many fear that highway checkpoints will be used to catch and deport illegal immigrants.

The Governor's Highway Safety Program is encouraging law enforcement agencies across the state to set up checkpoints Friday. Officials there say the event was planned to play on Friday's unique date, 08/08/08, which echoes the legal blood alcohol level of .08. They say they don't know how many checkpoints will be operating Friday, but at least two are planned in Wake County and one in Alamance County.

State officials say the event's purpose is to catch drunk drivers, but they say officers won't ignore other violations, such as driving without a license.

"Officers are going to be looking for any violation they see," said Don Nail, assistant director of the Governor's Highway Safety Program.

State law prohibits illegal immigrants from getting drivers licenses, so the threat of widespread checkpoints is a cause for concern. In several counties, including Wake and Alamance, jailers can now check the immigration status of inmates, and traffic charges can lead to deportation.

Advocates say that many Hispanic immigrants, even those in the country legally, are planning to skip work, keep their children out of school and cancel soccer games on Friday.

"People are scared to death and going underground," said Luke Smith, a child psychiatrist who works with Hispanic patients. "They're really going into Y2K bunker mode.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/1154/story/1168227.html

Okay, there is a reason they are scared to death.

Is there some law they have to announce these checkpoints? I've seen the notices in our local paper.

Why on earth would a legal immigrant be scared??

thumbs up for checkpoints, I'm going to forward this to my city
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It will undoubtedly be the illegals that are going underground Friday. Why should anyone here legally, whose car is not in violation of law and who is not drunk worry?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Some fear

The law should apply to EVERYONE. Why should any particular group be exempt from the law? Isn't that discrimination?
    When the laws are not enforced there is no fear of penalty. It has been that way for too long !

I would LOVE checkpoints.

Keep cranking up the pressure!!

A good idea would be for each of us to purchase an I.C.E. ball cap. I've been looking for an image of one, so I could have one made.

Whatever it takes to continually remind illegals that they aren't supposed to be here.

I wish they wouldn't warn people of these checkpoints.

Here's a link to a ball cap.
    http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?page_id=6889

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    Keep cranking up the pressure!!

A good idea would be for each of us to purchase an I.C.E. ball cap. I've been looking for an image of one, so I could have one made.

Whatever it takes to continually remind illegals that they aren't supposed to be here.
    <div>"The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite."- James Madison, The Federalist Papers No.49</div>

Is this news??? There have been checkpoints by the police for years. To read this you would think this is new news.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Isn't there laws against aiding criminals ?

Shows how desperate they are getting,too bad most of them can't read english lol.
    We can't deport them all ? Just think of the fun we could have trying!

Check points don't "target" any group. The only ones sacred of them are those doing something illegally. They list the check points in our paper, so it's no shock or surprise. Just don't try and pull a U to avoid it or they're after you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast