Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sophisticated hidden vehicle compartment reveals tricks

Sophisticated hidden vehicle compartment reveals tricks of drug trade
    Watch the video of how New Bedford police found it
    February 20, 2009 6:00 AM
    NEW BEDFORD — A lot of money and planning must have gone into installing the small compartment hidden behind the speedometer of a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta seized this week by narcotics police.

Triggered by an exact sequence of switches — turning on a certain radio station, honking the horn, using a turn signal or setting the emergency brake — a small electrical motor flips open the gauge cluster, revealing a space where a drug dealer can hide his stash, cash and guns.

"This is probably one of the best hides we've seen in a long time," said New Bedford police Detective Sgt. Victor E. Mendes, a member of the department's Organized Crime Intelligence Bureau.

Sgt. Mendes showed the extra wiring that had been discreetly tucked into the engine compartment. There was even a backup wire that could be attached to the car battery in case of an electrical short.

Looking under the vehicle's hood, police pointed out how someone had welded a small metallic box behind the gauge cluster, even spray-painting it silver to make it look like it had been installed by the manufacturer.

"To do this, they had to take the entire engine compartment out and go into the frame to put the box in," Sgt. Mendes said. "It costs about $10,000 to $15,000 to do this."

"They put a lot more effort into this. They spent a lot of money to get it done," said Police Detective Candido Trinidad, who has found drugs hidden in sunroofs and door panels. Known as "vehicle hides" in police parlance, city narcotics detectives are finding more hidden compartments in vehicles used by drug dealers to conceal firearms, heroin, crack cocaine and other items.

Hidden compartments originated in the New York City area but have since spread to Southern New England and are being more frequently seen in Fall River, New Bedford and other Massachusetts cities. They were first installed behind the airbag compartment, but today are found almost anywhere in a car.

"We know they're out there," Trinidad said. "We come across them now and then."

The compartments are installed by individuals skilled in auto body work. Police believe drug dealers and individuals engaged in criminal enterprises seek out the small number of skilled individuals who know how to install hides.

"There is a specialty group of people out there with the skills to do this," said New Bedford police spokesman Lt. Jeffrey P. Silva. "People who do this are known throughout the criminal underground."

News reports this week indicated police in California and Florida arrested individuals after finding hidden compartments in vehicles.

Having a hide is illegal and makes the vehicle subject to federal seizure.

On Wednesday, narcotics detectives arrested a reputed drug dealer identified as 29-year-old Angel R. Olmeda, who had an East Providence address but also is believed to have lived in Dorchester.

Olmeda was driving the Jetta with the hidden compartment when detectives stopped the vehicle after observing him in three alleged street-level drug transactions in the North End.

Detectives searching the vehicle later found the hidden compartment. Inside the space, police found substantial amounts of crack cocaine, heroin and three loaded firearms. Police said two of the guns were stolen. A .357 revolver had been taken from Methuen and a 9 mm pistol was reported stolen from Virginia. Police are investigating whether a .40-caliber handgun was also stolen. In addition, police are not certain about Olmeda's real identity. His fingerprints indicated he may be an illegal immigrant from the Dominican Republic who has a 2007 conviction for drug trafficking, police said.

An informant tipped police off this week that Olmeda was allegedly coming to New Bedford for two hours at a time, making drug deliveries and quickly leaving. Lt. Silva labeled him a "traveling road show."

"This was a person who was clearly an entrepreneur in the drug trade," he said.

Contact Brian Fraga at bfraga@s-t.com http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbc ... /902200346
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

ELE
    I am amazed at the brazen intelligence of drug selling criminals. I guess the big bucks involved in drug sales demands big technology!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It's a shame theses people don't use their ingenuity to make a legal living. They could be a plus to this nation or their own if they're here illegally, but the criminal mind doesn't think along those lines, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticMe
    It's a shame theses people don't use their ingenuity to make a legal living. They could be a plus to this nation or their own if they're here illegally, but the criminal mind doesn't think along those lines, I guess.
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
    Just think if capitalism could be left alone there would be high enough paying jobs and opportunities for people like this to work towards rather than applying their powers for evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagmar
    That's exactly what I was going to say.
    Just think if capitalism could be left alone there would be high enough paying jobs and opportunities for people like this to work towards rather than applying their powers for evil.
    I was a lifelong Democrat until I woke up a few years ago and realized tha tthe Democratic Party I knew was long gone. I don't expect anything good out of this president or his admistration. He's already messing with capitalism...we're cooked if we don't get this guy out next term. Bring back Chuck Baldwin, Tom Trancredo, Ron Paul...anyone but another Democrat or Republican, I say!!

Sorry, sorta rambling there. Took a pain pill and I'll lie down now and see if I can be more coherant in a couple of hours!!

MW
    PatrioticMe wrote:

Bring back Chuck Baldwin, Tom Trancredo, Ron Paul...anyone but another Democrat or Republican, I say!!
    Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul are Republicans. Furthermore, I liked Duncan Hunter, who is also a Republican.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Sorry, sorta rambling there. Took a pain pill and I'll lie down now and see if I can be more coherant in a couple of hours!!
    Sorry the Democrats drove you to pain killers.

Seriously, I hope you feel better.

Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie
    Sorry the Democrats drove you to pain killers.

Seriously, I hope you feel better.

Dixie
    lol...Thanks Dixie, all better for now. And, MW in my pain pill stupor I forgot. I guess there are a few good "career politicians" left out there but in my aforementioned stupor I forgot. I don't often take pills and when I do, they knock me for a loop. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! lol

Is there a link to the video?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast