Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Speaker's jack-booted government thugs

The Speaker's jack-booted government thugs
    DEBRA J. SAUNDERS

Monday, March 23, 2009

At a recent San Francisco event, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi denounced the Immigration and Customs Enforcement arrests of illegal immigrants. "Taking parents from their children ... that's un-American," Pelosi said.

Fox News aired videotape of Pelosi's "un-American" remark last week - and a minor national story was born. Be it noted that Pelosi wasn't saying anything new. She has long opposed enforcement of federal immigration laws duly enacted by Congress, even as she pays lip service to the need to enforce the law.

In 2003, Pelosi accused ICE of "terrorizing" workers after agents raided a number of Wal-Mart stores for hiring and contracting undocumented janitors. By the way, during the 2008 primary, Sen. Barack Obama also said that some communities "were terrorized" by ICE "raids."

At a news conference last week, La Speaker gave an increasingly qualified explanation: "What I said was separating parents from their children. ICE raids that separate parents from their children in the middle of night are un-American. And I stand by that. And those were the issues that we were dealing with: three families, where the parents were separated - a parent was separated from the children, and the prospect of the second parent being separated - and I do believe that separating parents from their children, in these cases - sometimes in the middle of night - is un-American."

I asked Pelosi's staff for information about families that ICE and separated in the middle of the night. Spokesman Brendan Daly sent statements made by two children - both American citizens - at the Ess Eff event. The three families turned into two families - Daly noted that Pelosi spoke with others privately - and the two mothers were left at home, although the children fear their mothers also could be deported. There was one 5 a.m. arrest. The teenagers also argued that, as U.S. citizens, they have a right to stay in America - and they believe their parents should be able to stay as well.

Pelosi added, "We have to enforce our laws." But if Pelosi really believes in enforcing the law, why is she criticizing ICE agents who put themselves on the line to make immigration law work?

At the news conference, Pelosi had little good to say about ICE enforcement as she noted, "We don't have to kick in doors in the middle of the night and take fathers out of their homes."

Amy Kudwa from the Department of Homeland Security told me, "No enforcement actions take place in the middle of the night, whether it be workplace enforcement or fugitive actions." She noted that ICE agents ask "a very rigorous set of questions" about any humanitarian needs and caregiving responsibilities before detaining anyone.

And: Secretary Janet Napolitano believes in using her department's "limited resources to the greatest effect, which is targeting criminal aliens and those employers who flout our laws."

While Pelosi's use of the word "raids" suggests random sweeps that deprive individuals of due process, in the last couple of years ICE efforts have targeted "immigration fugitives" - that is, individuals who have violated a judge's deportation order. Unless they've refused to show up to a hearing, they've had their day in court.

Why were the fathers arrested? I asked Daly. "I don't know specifically beyond what the kids said," he answered.

That's interesting because, according to ICE, 20 percent of "immigration fugitives" have been convicted of a crime in America in addition to being ordered deported.

In 1995, when a National Rifle Association dismissed those who enforce federal gun laws as "jack-booted government thugs," the left was outraged. Yet Pelosi essentially has a similar opinion of the men and women who risk their safety daily in order to uphold laws passed by her own legislative body. They enforce the law, and she dismisses their work as "un-American." If she doesn't like the law, she should change it. She's the speaker.

www.sfgate.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

if its a 5AM arrest, usually that person has been ordered deported and never left, OR a criminal who never left. they just dont come in at 5 for nothing.

Get real! just cuz the kids claim they are citizens means their parents should stay too. HELL NO

Why should Speaker Pelosi not be required to apologize to the American people, and, more specifically, to their law enforcement officials at ICE, for having made these erroneous statements and accusations at a public meeting?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I wish there was some way to impeach this beautch. She is unamerican for not enforcing our laws and upholding the Constitution. She is no patriot.

Getting Nancy Pelosi removed from Speaker of the House

Pelosi sits in office at the pleasure of the House. All it takes is a majority vote and she is back just being a Congresswoman.

A letter writing campaign to all the Democratic members of the House would have to be initiated to try and convince them that Pelosi is a divisive element and that her uberleft positions on bills is causing the House to flounder and be unproductive. There are centrist Democrats in the house and I am sure many of them feel that Pelosi is not a successful or a great leader.

Another way would be to write letters to all the board members of the Democratic National Committee, expressing the same message as the above. If the DNC could be convinced that Pelosi would cause them to lose seats in the House in 2010, she might be pressured to resign.

in the last couple of years ICE efforts have targeted "immigration fugitives" - that is, individuals who have violated a judge's deportation order. Unless they've refused to show up to a hearing, they've had their day in court
    Doesn't Obama's fugitive Illegal Aunt fall into this category?

Quote Originally Posted by daggul
    in the last couple of years ICE efforts have targeted "immigration fugitives" - that is, individuals who have violated a judge's deportation order. Unless they've refused to show up to a hearing, they've had their day in court
    Doesn't Obama's fugitive Illegal Aunt fall into this category?

YES she does, but somehow she gets another hearing in April.
    i bet this is the only time where someone gets a second hearing after being ordered to LEAVE the country

"The teenagers also argued that, as U.S. citizens, they have a right to stay in America - and they believe their parents should be able to stay as well."

Sorry, but I do not recognize your citizenship because you are not a US citizen. Your parents broke the law by entering our country illegally, then having you and your siblings only as a way of getting freebies, not out of love. Your WHOLE illegal family should be deported. When you turn 18, and your love for American is strong enough that you want to become a LEGAL citizen, you may do so.
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&