Posting a part of the article so to read it all please click on the source link.
~~~

Harris vs. Kratovil race heating up
By LIAM FARRELL, Staff Writer
Published October 19, 2008

On the Issues
Following are the candidates’ positions on three key issues in the race, taken verbatim from their Web sites

Immigration

Harris
I have a very simple immigration plan. Enforce the laws we have on the books and NEVER allow amnesty!! If current laws were enforced we would not have 12 million (an estimate created by Democrats who know the real number is closer to 20 million) illegal immigrants in our nation.
To help secure the borders Congress needs to:
• Double the number of Border Patrol Agents. We must stop the flood of illegal immigrants across our southern border.
• Double the number of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Agents – Not only must we stop illegal immigrants from coming into our country, we must increase enforcement once they are here. We must discourage businesses from knowingly violating our laws by hiring illegal immigrants.
• Say NO to all forms of Amnesty. I believe amnesty undermines the rule of law in our nation. The rule of law is the fabric that holds every democratic society together. I am a firm believer in LEGAL immigration. A vast majority of Americans including myself have ancestors who immigrated to this county and they did so LEGALLY. When these immigrants came to this country, they were forced to have sponsors and were forced to sign papers agreeing they would not accept handouts from the government.

Kratovil
As a descendent of Czech, Polish, English and Irish ancestors, I recognize that we are a nation of immigrants. As a prosecutor, I believe firmly that we are also a nation of laws. For that reason, any discussion of illegal immigration needs to begin with an unwavering commitment to enforce the laws we have on the books and not reward illegal behavior.
Our immigration system is broken. Even those employers who want to play by the rules can’t do so because the processes for employee verification and visa applications are so flawed. This is of particular concern here on the Eastern Shore where our seafood and poultry industries occasionally have a need for temporary workers. We need to overhaul the system so that those employers who want to play by the rules can do so.
But employers that continue to break the law even after we streamline the process clearly need to be punished, and mild slaps on the wrist aren’t going to get the job done. As a prosecutor, I’ve seen firsthand how the federal government’s failure to enforce its laws has unfairly burdened local law enforcement. County governments are even forced to pick up the tab for the incarceration of illegal immigrants convicted of serious crimes. In Congress, I’ll fight for the resources to secure our borders and relieve the burden on local government.

www.hometownannapolis.com