Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

In-state tuition for CA illegal immigrants is preserved

In-state tuition for illegal immigrants is preserved with California Supreme Court ruling [Updated]

November 15, 2010 | 10:16 am
    The California Supreme Court decided unanimously Monday that illegal immigrants may continue to be eligible for in-state tuition rates at the state's colleges and universities rather than pay the higher rates charged to those who live out of state.

In a ruling written by Justice Ming W. Chin, one of the panel's more conservative members, the state high court said a California law that guarantees the lower tuition for students who attend California high schools for at least three years and graduate does not conflict with a federal prohibition on giving illegal immigrants educational benefits based on residency.

California is one of several states that permit illegal immigrants to take advantage of lower college tuition for students who attend high school and graduate in state. About 25,000 illegal immigrants are estimated to receive in-state tuition rates in California.

A group fighting illegal immigration challenged the California law on behalf of U.S. citizens who pay the higher tuition as out-of-state students. The group won in lower court, and the state appealed.

The lawsuit contended the California law usurped a federal prohibition on giving educational benefits based on residency to illegal immigrants but not all U.S. citizens.
    College students who are in the country illegally are barred from government financial-aid programs. The U.S. Supreme Court is expected eventually to decide whether the lower tuition rates also violate federal law.

[Updated at 10:29: The court observed that the state law also benefits U.S. citizens who reside in other states but attend and graduate from high school in California.

"It cannot be the case that states may never give a benefit to unlawful aliens without giving the same benefit to all American citizens," Chin wrote.]

--Maura Dolan in San Francisco

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... dents.html

This must be appealed!!!

Under federal law, CA must now extend in-state tuition rates to ALL citizen students.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

We need a new law that allows for the deportation of idiot judges.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hate to be the voice of negativity here, but I dont have any hope whatsoever for this stupid state to see the light and turn things around. I wish I could leave to a state that still has some sanity.

Screw the weather here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I don't blame the people of CA. or even the state of CA.

I blame this judge.

Why do judges think CA. tax payers should be forced to pay for the education of illegal aliens.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

What Im saying is, this is what happens when we elect liberals. The libs who were elected (by hook or by crook) then turn around and appoint activist lib judges that we have no say over what they do or how they rule over us.

Everytime California passes a law that even smacks of good ole logical conservatism - a judge shoots it down. To hell with what the "little people" aka VOTERS and TAXPAYERS want. They rule from that big ole bleeding heart of theirs that is all too happy to spend other peoples money and continue to turn a deaf ear to what we are demanding of them....on top of that, these judges that are appointed, may be there for years and years, so where to go from here?

I am a native and life long resident of this state and I hate it here. Will things get better under that screwface Jerry Brown?! Doubt it. He's already made some pretty lofty promises to illegals and has not even taken office yet. With him in office, they will be coming here from North, South, East and West and we will be over the barrel for them even more.

Judges seem to cause more problem than they fix.
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    I don't blame the people of CA. or even the state of CA.

I blame this judge.

Why do judges think CA. tax payers should be forced to pay for the education of illegal aliens.
    Truly the judges are not considering the fact that state colleges are partially funded by federal and local taxes. Even private universities received grants and funding.

Dixie

Calif. court upholds in-state tuition for illegal

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-218187.html
    NO AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
    Calif. court upholds in-state tuition for illegal

http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-218187.html
    this is all Obama doing he is for the Illegal Immigrant from day one .that Reid also & Nancy . every time I see them On Tv I turn them off I can not stand them the 4 of them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast