Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

tms

States, Cities Struggle to Accommodate Growing Numbers of C

http://www.stevequayle.com/News.alert/0 ... hools.html

States, Cities Struggle to Accommodate Growing Numbers of Children of Illegal Immigrants

Report Estimates 22% of all American Children Under 6 Have Immigrant Parents

June 5, 2005
    By DAVID CRARY
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Pueblo Chieftain

NEW YORK - While Congress and the White House wrangle over federal policy on illegal immigrants, states and cities are wrestling with ways to accommodate their U.S.-born children - most of them American citizens, all with full rights to public education.

Photo: States are rushing to accommodate the growing rate of U.S. born children to illegal immigrants. Here, a woman who would not be identified with her U.S. born daughter. (By Chris Russell, AP/Columbus Dispatch)

The debate is often bitter and unpredictable as politicians argue whether to expand or cut health care for these families, whether to bolster immigrant-oriented school programs, and whether to offer in-state college tuition rates to children of illegal immigrants.

Some politicians and organizations contend that initiatives tailored to assist these children only lure more illegal immigrants to the United States. Others argue that most of these several million children will be lifelong Americans, and are more likely to be productive adults if they receive support now.

‘‘If you’ve got children already here, let’s assume they’re a future part of society and are worth the same investment as any other kids,’’ said Randy Capps, lead author of a recent Urban Institute report on young immigrant children.

The report estimated that 22 percent of all American children under 6 have immigrant parents. More than 90 percent of these children were born in the United States and automatically are citizens, and nearly one-third - 1.3 million - live with at least one undocumented parent, the report said.

Those seeking tougher measures against undocumented people want Congress and the federal courts to reconsider two long-standing national policies - a constitutional provision that bestows citizenship on any child born on U.S. soil and a 1982 Supreme Court ruling requiring public schools to accommodate any school-age child regardless of immigration status.

‘‘That Supreme Court decision was probably the single most devastating decree that undermined immigration controls,’’ said Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Some recent examples of how the immigration debate is playing out:

Lawmakers in Washington state last month restored state-funded health coverage, severed in 2002, for thousands of children of illegal immigrants.

School officials in Houston plan to open a school specifically for immigrants - whether or not they are in the country legally. A new report by the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which seeks tougher enforcement of immigration laws, asserts that educating children of illegal immigrants costs Texas more than $4 billion annually.

Bills that would allow undocumented students to qualify for low, in-state college tuition rates stalled in North Carolina and died in Connecticut and Arkansas. Nine states have enacted such measures, but Kansas’ law is being challenged in federal court.

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano vetoed a bill that would have prohibited illegal immigrants from receiving child care assistance.

Last November, Arizona voters approved a measure requiring state employees to report illegal immigrants to federal authorities if they apply for certain benefits. Advocates for immigrants say the result is that many parents, fearing deportation, do not seek services such as health care or food stamps to which their U.S.-born children are entitled.

Many programs sprouting up across the country are designed to offset such parental fears. Chicago, for example, is establishing health centers at public schools to serve children whose undocumented families are too poor or too apprehensive to seek medical care for them.

At St. Cecilia’s Church in New York’s East Harlem neighborhood, Regina Kirk directs a Catholic Charities support program for Mexican and Ecuadorean mothers - virtually all of them undocumented.

Fear of deportation ‘‘is always there - it affects every aspect of their lives,’’ Kirk said. Still, she said the mothers have taught each other ways to obtain food stamps and adequate health care for their children.

‘‘Though many are wary because they’re undocumented, once you start talking about their kids, they’re willing to be assertive,’’ Kirk said. ‘‘Despite all their problems and worries ... they feel they’re giving their kids the best possible shot at the future.’’

One of the St. Cecilia mothers - 33-year-old Maria Romano - came to the United States illegally 17 years ago from Mexico’s Guerrero state and now has three children, 15, 14 and 10. The eldest, Luis, has had serious health problems since birth and is enrolled in a special-education program at his public school.

‘‘In Mexico, we couldn’t have gotten care like this for Luis,’’ Romano said. ‘‘His being alive today is because he was born in the United States.’’

She said undocumented parents like herself, with children who are U.S. citizens, ‘‘need to assert the rights they know their children deserve.’’

‘‘Vigilance is the key,’’ she said. ‘‘It requires perseverance to stay informed.’’

Mary Ellen Ros, executive director of Catholic Charities Community Services in New York, said her agency assists roughly 80,000 immigrants a year, many from families with at least one member in the United States illegally.

Though the families usually are tight-knit, young children often have to take the initiative because of their parents’ fears or unfamiliarity with U.S. culture.

‘‘These children have to contend with the school system or medical system without the benefit of a parent who can guide them the same way as an American-born parent,’’ Ros said. ‘‘The child is very often breaking new ground on the parent’s behalf.’’

http://www.chieftain.com/national/1117996000/19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There are people in the administration, and in Mexico, and in Congress, who believe that we should do away with borders entirely. Their ultimate goal is to create this hemispheric ‘free trade’ area consolidating all of North and South America into some kind of ‘United States of the Americas." -Tom Tancredo
    "The defense of a nation begins at it's borders" Tancredo

These people are NUTS!!

Pink-Slip Them and Put Them All Out to Pasture!!

I mean give me a break...."immigrant schools especially tailored to their needs"?

WHO IS GOING TO PAY FOR IT??

NOT I, NOT YOU, WE'RE DONE WITH THIS CRAP!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Catholic charities?

The article says Catholic Charities serves 80,000 immigrants a year and if I show up at Catholic Charities? lol Hahahaha!

Heard a report on NPR about Utah's public schools....the report said some Hispanic advocacy group is going to sue because latino scores are too low. DUUUHHHHH Juanito and Maria can't speak English when they get to first grade so now Utah will have to waste more money on them after some bleeding liberal judge rules in the Hispanic groups favor.

COMING TO A STATE NEAR YOU SOON!

American Catholics....you must stand up to this outrageous intervention in our political, economic and social process of our country by your Church Organization.

DRY UP THE MONEY!!

Not a Dime until this situation is resolved to our FULL SATISFACTION.

It's your life they are putting at risk; it's your children's lives they are putting at risk; it is your job they are putting at risk; it is your family's future they are putting at risk.

That assumes they haven't already killed you, a family member, someone in your community, in your state.

That assumes they haven't already taken your job, crowded your schools, overburdened your hospitals, deflated your wages and salaries, increased your health and car insurance, or driven into your living room nearly killing your 2 children!

STOP THIS NONSENSE BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ORGANIZATION!

DON'T GIVE, SAVE!!

Hit them where it hurts, In Their Purse!!

Fill yours up, Drain Theirs!! Make them come back to you!

Just dry up the money, because that's what is all about, sad to say, but the proof is already in the pudding.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

‘‘If you’ve got children already here, let’s assume they’re a future part of society and are worth the same investment as any other kids,’’ said Randy Capps, lead author of a recent Urban Institute report on young immigrant children.
    I love this part. Earth to Randy Capps, let's assume they get their little butts sent back to Mexico where they belong. The only investment we need to make for these people is a bus ride home. I despair of the sanity of people like Capps.
    When we gonna wake up?

I despair and then rally!!

The more they talk, the more people who will see what they are up to.

There is an old saying, "give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves".

True Colors Showing.

Americans here.

Americans awake.

Americans ready.

AND BTW: Who is going to pay, Mr. Capps? Not I, Not We, which means you just peeweed all over yourself.

Look, I love and care about children, all children from all places too.

I am happy when I see America helping children in the world as much as we can, because they're innocent and helpless human beings. HOWEVER, it is my obligation to the children of this country to protect and defend their right to live in a country that enforces immigration laws for their well-being. THAT IS MY OBLIGATION AS A LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZEN.

It is commendable to travel to countries and help children, and it's commendable to watch out for and protect the children of American citizens too. Go to them, help them in their country, help the parents get rid of corrupt governments......but it is WRONG to expect the parents of American children to sit back and smile because you think it's okay to deteriorate and destroy opportunities for their children to live and learn in their own country under the best possible circumstances. We have many poor children in America too, and their parents are struggling and some are barely making ends meet. We are responsible to our own first.

A good lesson these parents could teach their children is to respect the laws of another country. That's basic. It starts at home.

What happens if we disrespect immigration laws, and what's next, if you get drafted into the Army at a time of war....and don't want to go....just break that law too? Where does it end? Laws are basic and laws are necessary. We have laws for good reasons.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Agreed, Legal. The problem we have is like two boats on the ocean, one is a solid, well built boat full of people. The other is a leaky, garbage scow. The people on the garbage scow keeping leaping into the good boat, until it starts to flounder, then starts sinking. The people on the scow keep coming and keep coming, and the good boat finally goes under.

America is great but we cannot save the world. The world must save itself. We have spent trillions covering up and correcting the mistakes, stupidity, violence, genocide, racism, cruelty, malfeasance, criminality, etc. of countries all over the world. Would someone please point to one grateful country that we helped? We have enforced peace in Europe for 60 years. The Europeans never had 60 years of peace in their existence until the U.S. came along, helped defeat the fascists, and covered them with our protection. Is Europe grateful? Can you think of more than one or two things they have done to repay our largesse?

We have doled out billions to sub-Saharan Africa. Are they better off? Are they grateful to us for our efforts. If you have any doubts, just see how they vote in the U.N. It is usually against us.

You can only go so far helping others. I think we are reaching our limits in more ways than one. I love children. On an individual basis, I will step in front of a car or a bullet for a child. But we cannot save the world. We have tried and much of the world does not want to be saved, they want to be catered to, coddled, accommodated, etc.

Is the rest of the world composed of children only? Where are the adults who should be responsible for their well-being? They are sitting on their duffs waiting for us to do it for them. I am tired of being bled dry financially by more government, so it can transfer the fruit of my labor to some ne'r do well, whether he is a domestic or a foreign one. I am tired of their damnable excuses for their own failure. The third world countries are that way for one reason, their people lack the will to build a decent society. It is easier to blame somebody else, then take money from that somebody as long as the cash keeps coming. We are saps in the first degree. We have been saps for at least 60 years, maybe longer. No other country does as much for everybody else in the world as this one does. It is time to seek a return on our investment, instead of throwing more good money down the ratholes of the world.

I'll climb down off my soapbox now.
    When we gonna wake up?

Climb back on that soapbox any day, ScareCrow!!

LOVED EVERY WORD!!

LegalUSCitizen--you said it beautifully. We take care of our own first. All responsible societies know that. Get these officials their pink-slips and get them out of our country!!