Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

States torn on illegals' right (USA Today..Gheen quoted)

Link

Man, this baby's so hot off the wire I can hardly handle it to post it!

Posted 5/1/2005 11:28 PM
    States torn on illegals' rights
    By Charisse Jones, USA TODAY

Debates about illegal immigration are escalating from Arizona to North Carolina as state legislatures weigh whether to grant driver's licenses and other benefits to people who entered the USA illegally.

Some states are moving to restrict the rights of illegal immigrants, while some may expand them. The activity in state capitols mirrors efforts in Congress to grapple with the nearly 11 million illegal immigrants now estimated to be living in the USA, according to the Pew Hispanic Center in Washington, D.C.

"I don't think there's anything quite like what we've seen this spring," says Roberto Suro, director of the center, a non-partisan research group on Hispanic issues. "It is remarkable that you're getting proposals in seemingly opposite directions that are both advancing through legislatures."

The proposed legislation comes amid rising concern over the impact of illegal immigration on the job market, schools, health care and other public services. In April, members of a citizens group called the Minuteman Project patrolled Arizona's border with Mexico to report illegal immigrants to authorities. The group plans to expand to California and states along the Canadian border. (Related story: More immigrants, more activists)

Among states taking action:

• The Arizona Legislature approved a measure Thursday that would prohibit police and local and state agencies from accepting ID cards issued by the Mexican Consulate. The cards previously were accepted as proof of identity for public services such as water hookups and library cards. Gov. Janet Napolitano hasn't said whether she'll sign the bill.

• After allowing illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses, Utah's Legislature replaced them in February with driver identification cards that cannot be used to board planes or to register to vote.

• In March, New Mexico became the ninth state since 2002 to allow some undocumented students to pay discounted tuition to public colleges, a benefit afforded to state residents. At least 16 other states are studying similar measures, says Ann Morse, director of the Immigrant Policy Project of the National Conference of State Legislatures.

About 30 other states also are considering driver's license legislation. Most measures would restrict driving privileges for illegal immigrants. The debate extends to Congress, which is likely this month to pass the Real ID Act, which would bar states from issuing driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.

"The dam is breaking," says William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration, a group based in Raleigh, N.C., that opposes benefits for those in the country illegally. Illegal immigration, he says, is "having a degrading effect on wages and other quality-of-life issues like community health and community safety."

But others say punitive measures are no solution. "When you isolate (and) alienate. .. that's not good for society," says Josh Bernstein of the National Immigration Law Center, an immigrant-advocacy organization in Los Angeles. "You're forcing people out of legal channels and into illegal ones."
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

But others say punitive measures are no solution. "When you isolate (and) alienate. .. that's not good for society," says Josh Bernstein of the National Immigration Law Center, an immigrant-advocacy organization in Los Angeles. "You're forcing people out of legal channels and into illegal ones."
    Umm, didn’t they begin by "Illegal channels" when they crossed the boarder and snuck into the U.S.?

They have legal channels, apply for citizenship, if and when it is granted, we welcome you with open arms as you assimilate to the American way.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Wow. I guess we will be having a lot of visitors on Monday

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They came in on an illegal channel.

I'd hate to think anyone would alienate an illegal alien.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Americans wake up and deport illegal aliens

I came to the USA as a legal immigrant. I had to wait a while and undergo intense screening that included health test (TB, aids testing), a criminal record check (needs to be totally clean) and several means tests to prove I had a job or could support myself etc.

I followed the legal path. After having a green card for about 5 yrs I was able to apply to become a citizen. I stood in line at the San Jose INS office. That day there were literally hundreds if not thousand of illegals being granted amnesty. I had to really WAIT in that line.

What blows my mind is that the legal process is so cumbersome with so many penalties attached to any transgression and YET illegals are flowing freely at amazing rates into the US. What kind of example does this set to legal hopefuls? Should they also hitch a ride into MExico and walk across? I really am amazed at the sad attitude of the government; federal and many states, that allow this illegal overloading of our schools, hospitals and other services to go unchecked.

Illegal aliens caught in other countries are arrested and deported; not rewarded with drving licences and amnesties.

The law must be upheld and must be applied fairly to all. If you happen to be coming from the southern border to I guess you have some kind of legal immunity.

Sorry for rambling but it is very frustrating to see misguided support for illegal aliens. they should not be here. they have no rights here and they should be deported.
    This

Welcome PixelDoctor. You will be hard pressed to find anyone more upset than a legal immigrant over this issue. Our immigration system is a disaster and we punish those that follow the law while rewarding those that break it!

It's just not fair to legal immigrants and we are out to change that. We have several members of ALIPAC that are legal immigrants and they speak volumes for our cause.

Welcome aboard.

William Gheen
    President, ALIPAC

This article has been placed upon the ALIPAC homepage.

http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=N ... le&sid=382

W

WELCOME Pixel!

Another of my stupid questions that I've never been able to resolve.............

WHY ARE ILLEGALS DRIVING IN THE FIRST PLACE??????????????

WELCOME Pixel!

It makes no sense to us either. We need to keep pressuring the politicians to do something. If not then we can vote them out of office. There should be an ALIPAC organization in every state.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast