Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Student rebuked for sitting during Mexican anthem

http://www.dailyherald.com/search/print ... ?id=102507

Son refused to stand for Mexico anthem

By Tara Malone
    Chicago Daily Herald Staff Writer
    Posted Thursday, October 06, 2005

A recent Mexican Independence Day assembly at Larkin High may have taken cultural sensitivity one step too far, a Larkin parent said this week.

Robert Bedard said his son was reprimanded when he declined to stand for the Mexican National Anthem during a ceremony at the west Elgin school last month.

His 17-year-old son, a senior in the process of enlisting, feared honoring another nation’s anthem might jeopardize his military status. Sitting down cost him a trip to the office.

Bedard questioned this week whether the scales of cultural diversity may have tilted out of balance.

“I am concerned that the Mexican Americans have unfairly monopolized the teaching of cultural awareness at this school,� said Bedard, a lieutenant with the Elgin fire department. “At least that’s the perspective of a parent. I’d love to be corrected.�

School leaders sought to do just that.

Just as Latino students orchestrated an assembly for Mexican Independence Day, officials said, black students host an assembly commemorating black history month in February.

“If we were teaching one culture’s history over another, then we have an issue,� school board President Ken Kaczynski said Wednesday. “But I don’t think that’s the case.�

The history lesson followed a maelstrom of controversy last spring when a Larkin student wrote an essay lamenting the celebration of Mexican holidays in American schools.

The teen faulted Mexican students, saying they shouldn’t have lowered the American flag in favor of a Mexican flag on Sept. 16, 2004.

Larkin officials later said the American flag was raised again before class began. No students ever were found responsible.

“Of the ethnic groups at Larkin,� Principal Richard Webb said, “the Hispanic group is growing at the most increased rate and of that Hispanic group, the vast majority of students are Mexican-American.�

Of the 2,550 students enrolled at Larkin last year, 38.4æpercent were Latino. Nearly a quarter of students were new to English. Information for the current school year is not yet available.

Four years earlier, 20 percent of the school’s 2,029 students were Latino, according to the 2000 school report card. Some 10 percent of students spoke English as a second language.

As the school grows more diverse, cultural assemblies will follow, Bedard said. But they should take care to represent a range of cultures, including the homegrown one.

“If they have an assembly, I would be happy if they will not try to force students to honor patriotic elements of another culture unless they also honor our flag, our anthem as well,� Bedard said. “It’s just respect for both cultures.�
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

I like that Kid
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I'm wondering if the ACLU will defend the student's right to freedom of speech by refusing to recognize the Mexican anthem. I'm not holding my breath waiting that will happen anytime soon. If it was the pledge of allegiance, or the American national anthem the ACLU would have been all over it defending the student.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    I'm wondering if the ACLU will defend the student's right to freedom of speech by refusing to recognize the Mexican anthem. I'm not holding my breath waiting that will happen anytime soon. If it was the pledge of allegiance, or the American national anthem the ACLU would have been all over it defending the student.
    Are you kidding, you don't think the ACLU would stand up for the rights of of a Patriot. Now do you.
    http://www.alipac.us/
    You can not be loyal to two nations, without being unfaithful to one. Scubayons 02/07/06

I was in need of hearing a good joke today.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

[Contact these Larkin HS clowns]

http://www.u46.k12.il.us/lhs/main.html
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

http://wilstar.com/holidays/pledge.htm

The Pledge of Allegiance

I pledge Allegiance to the flag
    of the United States of America
    and to the Republic for which it stands,
    one nation under God, indivisible,
    with Liberty and Justice for all.
    American Flag
    Guidelines for Displaying the Flag

1. The flag of the United States should be flown daily from sunrise to
    sunset in good weather from public buildings, schools, permanent
    staffs, and in or near polling places on election days. The flag
    may be displayed 24 hours a day on patriotic holidays or if properly
    illuminated.

2. The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is bad,
    except when an all-weather flag is used.

3. The flag should always be flown on national and state holidays and
    on those occasions proclaimed by the President. On Memorial Day,
    the flag should be half staffed until noon.

4. The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously. It
    should never be dipped to any person nor should it ever be displayed
    with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress.

5. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, nor should it ever
    be carried flat or horizontally.

6. It should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, drapery, or
    decoration, nor for carrying or holding anything.

7. The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored
    in such a manner as to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged. It should
    never be used as a covering for a ceiling.

8. The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of
    a vehicle. When a flag is displayed on a car, the flag's staff
    should be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right
    fender.

9. The flag or its staff should never be used for advertising purposes
    in any manner whatsoever. Nor should any picture, drawing, insignia
    or other decoration be placed on or attached to the flag, its staff,
    or halyard.

10. The flag should not be embroidered on cushions, handkerchiefs, or
    other personal items nor printed on anything designed for temporary
    use and discarded. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the
    uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, or members of
    other patriotic organizations.

11. When the flag is so worn or soiled that it is no longer suitable
    for display, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner,
    preferably by burning.

FLAG-FLYING HOLIDAYS

New Year's Day Lincoln's Birthday Washington's Birthday
    Armed Forces Day Memorial Day Flag Day
    Independence Day V-J Day Labor Day
    Thanksgiving Veterans' Day Pearl Harbor Day
    Christmas State Admission Day
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

QUOTE: Bedard questioned this week whether the scales of cultural diversity may have tilted out of balance.

What a great kid. His family must be very proud of him. His president SHOULD be very proud of him. 90% of the American people are very proud of him.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalUSCitizen
    What a great kid. His family must be very proud of him. His president SHOULD be very proud of him. 90% of the American people are very proud of him.
    I am
    "I can because I will, I will because I can" ME

The teen faulted Mexican students, saying they shouldn’t have lowered the American flag in favor of a Mexican flag on Sept. 16, 2004.
    And oh...he is SO right on!

Smart kid with an excellent role model dad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast