Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Sue Myrick: new bill to address illegal immigration today

N.C. bill looks to better track immigrants Act named for drunken driving victim aimed at law bureaus

To help fix an immigration system she thinks is broken, U.S. Rep. Sue Myrick plans to introduce the The Scott Gardner Act when Congress returns in September.

illegal immigration, Congress, Sue Myrick, CAFTA, campaigns, laws, illegal aliens, immigrants

By Jim Morrill
    Knight Ridder
    8/14/2005

Gardner was the Mount Holly man killed last month in Brunswick County, N.C., when his car was hit by a truck driven by an illegal Mexican immigrant. Ramiro Gallegos has been charged with drunken driving and murder.

It was Gallegos' fifth impaired-driving charge in five years. He was eligible for deportation each time he was arrested. Though he was entered in computers as an illegal immigrant in 2000, immigration officials say they received no requests for information about him from local law enforcement.

Many police departments question immigration status only if suspects are involved in felonies. Because drunken driving is a misdemeanor, it's a lower priority for immigration officers.

Myrick, a Charlotte Republican, said last week, "There has got to be a better reporting system." She said Gardner's death was "a call to action."

Aide Hal Weatherman said Wednesday the proposed measure is designed to ensure better coordination between law-enforcement agencies in determining someone's immigration status.

He said more details, and other recommendations, would be released at a news conference Myrick plans Monday in Gastonia.

Myrick also plans to hold a "town meeting" on immigration issues Tuesday night in Gastonia.

A Gardner family spokesman declined to comment Wednesday.

----------
    ALIPAC NOTE: Myrick Town Meeting Details

Community Meeting to Address the Scott Gardner Tragedy

Hosted by Rep. Sue Myrick
    Date: August 16, 2005
    Time: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
    Place: Office of Representative Sue Myrick

197 W. Main Avenue
    Gastonia, NC 28052
    (In the Old Commercial Building, Downtown Gastonia)

The community is invited to a town hall meeting to discuss illegal immigration and its effects on all of us. The family of Scott Gardner will attend.

Show your support for the Gardner family and for tougher DWI and illegal immigration laws. Invite your friends to attend this vital meeting. Learn from guest speakers how we can make a difference and prevent this tragedy from happening again!

The media are welcome and encouraged to attend.

If you have any questions or would like to volunteer for this event, please contact:
    Heidi Hall Wil Neumann 108 Barrington Drive 3215 Grange Court Mount Holly, NC 28120 Belmont, NC 28012 (704) 951-0016 (704) 825-3038 – Office/Fax heidielizabeth2002@yahoo.com (704) 451-1551 – Cell

or wilneumann@carolina.rr.com

hhall5129@carolina.rr.com

Parking is available at the Rotary Pavilion and the Garland Center.

http://www.alipac.us/article-619-thread-1-0.html
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Great,
    I have some questions for Sellout Sue.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Anyone going? It is in Rep Sue Myricks Office.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

I went and got to ask my question and, lets just say Ms. Myrick was not happy with me....

She did say that she was taking a strong stance against illegal immigration but I honestly think it was for show. I will be writing an article tonight. You may want to watch the News and Observer for a quote from me....

I went and got to ask my question and, lets just say Ms. Myrick was not happy with me....
    That's a good sign! :P I bet you called her on her vote on CAFTA.

Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by MopheadBlue
    That's a good sign! :P I bet you called her on her vote on CAFTA.

Good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by jp_48504

She did say that she was taking a strong stance against illegal immigration but I honestly think it was for show. I will be writing an article tonight. You may want to watch the News and Observer for a quote from me....
    JP, looks like you are right about a quote. I found the article in the Charlotte Observer. The weblink is:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/12401679.htm

Registration may be required for viewing.

From reading the article, it sounds like Sue got the message and heard the anger of us legals. I REALLY HOPE SHE GOT AN EAR FULL! IT IS WAY PAST TIME THOSE ELECTED REPS HEAR FROM THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR HER AND THE REST OF THEM ON THIS ISSUE. Below is a quote from the Observer article.

"We all know where most of them live," she said. "Why can't our law enforcement agencies set up a (driver's) license check?"

Critics of such policies say they would lead to racial profiling since officers would have a hard time distinguishing between legal and illegal residents. But critics weren't in attendance Tuesday night.
    The racial profiling excuse is quite a pitiful one. The fact they can't understand or speak English should give the dumbest law enforcement offical a tip off. I understand some illegals do speak English but you can identify those who can't and take them to jail or better yet ship them back over the border where they came from. This isn't rocket science Mr. and Ms. Reps in Congress and the General Assembly in Raleigh (especially you worthless Democrats who have been bought). You just need to get off you lazy duffs and show you think people need to obey the laws of the land and law enforcement needs to be able to enforce the laws. Otherwise, some legals are not going to obey the law anymore than those millions of illegals walking right under the noses of Congress and law enforcement! If the racial profile excuse stand, everybody and his brother will be claiming racial profiling. Get off your lazy duffs and get to work and I want to see some results in DEPORTATION and NOT SOME OF YOUR HAVE BAKED EXCUSES.

I'm going to make a prediction that before this thing is over, GWB is going to feel what Hilter felt like when the allies where closing in on him at the end of the war with respect to the evil that went on in the concentration camps. Their secrets were about to be made public and now how are they going to justify the goings on? My friends, GWB cannot hide what he has been doing with respect to illegal immigration. Everybody know it especially when you called the MMP, vigilaties. George, I ask you, how you going to explain it to us legals that you sold us out? Fox can't help you now. You are on your own!
    I wonder how many illegals got their NC driver licenses renewed last week? President Bush needs to protect the borders not illegals. President Bush is a coward and guilty of treason when it comes to securing the borders.

I am still waiting for that phone call... We shall see. It is too bad he didnt qoute everything I said.