Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tancredo to make decision on presidential run this week

http://wcco.com/iowawire/IA--Tancredo20 ... _news_html

Tancredo to make decision on presidential run this week
    Saturday January 13, 2007
    By MIKE GLOVER
    AP Political Writer
    DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., said Saturday that he's likely to decide in the upcoming week about whether he will seek the Republican presidential nomination.

Tancredo, 61, was in Iowa for a two-day book-signing tour and was meeting with party activists.

``We will make a decision after this trip, I mean days after this trip, about whether we will form an exploratory committee,'' Tancredo told The Associated Press in an interview. ``I am much, much closer to that decision.''

Asked about his time frame for making that decision, Tancredo said ``within the next three days, maybe four.''

His comments represent a clear shift in his position. As recently as last summer, Tancredo was traveling to key early states like Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, but said his travels were aimed at assuring that his hard-line views against illegal immigration were part of the debate in the presidential campaign.

At that time, he said his role was to push an issue that others preferred to duck, and said he would run only if other contenders did not address the issue adequately. In his latest visit, Tancredo was doing book signings in Council Bluffs and suburban Des Moines for two days.

Tancredo's book is ``In Mortal Danger: The Battle for America's Border and Security.''

In Congress, Tancredo has been one of the leading voices for a tough stance against illegal immigration, which he has described as ``a scourge that threatens the very future of our country,'' and he has called for construction of a 700-mile fence along the border with Mexico.

He has headed the Immigration Reform Caucus in the House, which has grown to include 91 members.

While Republicans suffered a severe setback in the November election, Tancredo said it can't be blamed on the tough stance on immigration he and other conservatives offer.

``We did not lose an election based on this issue,'' he said. ``It wasn't the reason for the election results.''

He said a deeper discontent with the war in Iraq and mushrooming scandals in Congress were more directly to blame.

``The immigration issue was swamped by corruption and the war,'' Tancredo said.

In a handful of elections, conservatives succeeded in getting the issue before voters, and were successful at the ballot box, he said.

``Where people could actually vote for this issue, they voted for our position on it,'' Tancredo said.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned
    Tancredo checks his gut in Iowa
    Friday, January 12 at 2:29 PM

http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denv ... .html#more

Rep. Tom Tancredo is going to Iowa this weekend to see if anyone is taking him seriously about launching a run for the White House, reports M.E. Sprengelmeyer.

Tancredo has spent two years toying with the idea of a longshot presidential bid in 2008, and he has made several scouting trips to early caucus or primary states like Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

This afternoon, he was scheduled to leave for three days of meetings with key Republican players in Des Moines, Council Bluffs and elsewhere, and then decide soon thereafter whether he wants to join the race or do something else, spokesman Carlos Espinosa said Friday.

"In the past, he went out there to force the other guys to talk about (immigration)," Espinosa said. "This time, he's going to see essentially what the chances of somebody like Tom would be in the caucus, with all things considered."

READER COMMENTS (submit some of your own!!)

I bet Tom has some interesting ideas on many issues. As a Republican candidate he couldn't be worse than John McCain who has turned his back on his constituency in AZ (and the U.S.)with his amnesty proposals. Tancredo is my frontrunner. As for the Democrats, I wouldn't vote for them. I'm a white male and they discriminate against me.
    Posted by White Male on January 13, 2007 06:20 PM

Ok, we all know what Tom thinks about immigration. Let's now hear how he will fix:
    Health care
    Declining wages
    Iraq
    Dependence on oil
    Iran

To name just a few. Address the macro issues, then you may be qualified to man the corner office.
    Posted by gr8fuldude on January 13, 2007 04:38 PM

Tom is as equipped as any of the other yahoos from the Dems or the Repubs. He is definitely progressive and will be watched closely. He may have a few surprises. I hope he can put together a good team. He's cool. I'd vote for Tom Tancredo if the election were today. Hell, I'll end up voting for him in 2008.
    Posted by Tired of Dems and Repubs BS on January 13, 2007 03:45 PM

this is a perfect time for the pipe dream to end.
    tom simply does not have the credentials to be president.
    people from both sides of the political spectrum agree that illegal immigration is a problem that needs fixing.
    that is not the point
    the point is finding a solution that does not wreck our economy and allows us to maintain our edge over asia, whose labor laws give them the edge.
    tom simply does not have the tools nor the incilnation necessary to do the job right
    Posted by Realist not Racist on January 13, 2007 03:03 PM

You may feel that Tom is correct on the Illegal Immigration issue. The problem is, a President CANNOT be a one trick pony.

Regardless of his stance on Illegals, people need to recognize,

Tom cannot work with others effectively. Think about what kind of partisan bs will result from this guy in office. Bush has been a horrible president on many levels, including foreign policy. In that vein, Tom would be WORSE.

Aside from his stance on illegals, what are Tom's plans regarding the rest of our domestic policy? And, does he have the ability to work with other politicians (even those of his own party)? So far, the answer appears to be NO.

Again, you may believe Tom has the answers on Illegals. Unfortunately, the President needs to have answers for MANY other issues, and Tom doesn't strike me as a guy who does.
    Posted by JW on January 13, 2007 01:57 PM

Right on Winger. Don't forget the religious groups who misplace their compassions and sympathies for profits. They are complicit and must be called to task on illegal aliens, illegal immigration and illegal activities.
    Posted by No more illegals or amnesties on January 13, 2007 11:24 AM

Many more than half of the citizen-taxpayer voters are VERY concerned about the rampant open-borders foolishness. The costs, in money and horrendous "fringe-benefits," are NOT key parts of the U.S. national strategic plan.

The onslaught of so-called “cheap labor” is driving the U.S. into being less-and-less competitive. We need more educated-bright entrepreneurs, not more uneducated manual laborers, which is not to denigrate any of the 4 BILLION unfortunates in the word. And we’re missing a key point.

This country is based upon the concept of law-and-order for just and sufficient reasons.

Mr. Tancredo is a sincere, competent, hard-working Member of Congress. His constituents, at least those that have actually come in contact with him, are VERY pleased with his service, dedication, and professionalism.

When there is huge, unscrupulous lobby-pressure from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, working hand-in-hand with the Department of Commerce, to unconscionably benefit crooked employers, we need a leader such as Tom Tancredo to stand up for what is right, and lawful.

Colorado is very Lucky to count Tom Tancredo as a native son -- grandson of LEGAL immigrants. Our job is to thank God for such leaders.

That said, we MUST get back on-track and stop exploiting the migrant slave-labor class that has formed under benign neglect from the top of our federal government. That insidious collusion-conspiracy MUST be stopped. It is a lose-lose-lose proposition –while greedy employers get rich in that process.

We need a world-class U.S. Immigration Strategic Plan, and a high-level, talented, compassionate Immigration CEO to steer our country back on course. What we have now are competing fiefdoms at State, DHS, Labor, Commerce, etc -- disparate pugilists, trying to please their boss.

Tom Tancredo, in the appropriate elected position, will play a key role to make that happen.
    Posted by Winger on January 13, 2007 10:08 AM

dbc Those weak ass liberal labels used to discredit true americans lose weight by the day. Sounds like your the bigot and xenophobic to me.
    Clait @ 11:24. I hope (and know you will) feel the negative effects of illegal aliens. Then you can appreciate our need to have rule of law for civilized society.
    Posted by Rufus Delgado on January 13, 2007 08:40 AM

Tancredo doesn't have to check his gut. That man has guts. Tom for President.
    Posted by on January 13, 2007 08:30 AM

Tom Tancredo should be sent to Mexico to live for the next 2 years as a peon. He might then appreciate the desire to cross the U.S. border to earn $.
    Posted by Clait E. Braun on January 12, 2007 11:24 PM

I'm conflicted. If he runs, he will embarass Colorado because we can't deny he is one of our own. But if he gets exposure it could reveal his bigotry and xenophobia (ironic since he is only a second, or perhaps third generation immigrant.) And revealing his small mind may be good. I hope the folks talking about the size of his cojones (Spanish word used intentially), are being sarcastic. It seems like an attempt to capture the Pat Buchanan vote, and we know how strong that wing(nut) is. No conclusion, confliction reigns.
    Posted by dbc on January 12, 2007 10:02 PM

Tom is our LAST HOPE to rid ourselves of the people who come to Colorado and refuse to respect our culture and act like THEY own this land. I say GO TOM GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by amanthatcares on January 12, 2007 09:31 PM

"jay" asks:
    >As a Libertarian...what are your ideas for
    >making third party candidates more competitive
    >in the age of ever-expanding media budgets?

We've gone from petition-only access to guaranteed access to the ballot in a few short years. That's because we're recognized as representing a significant minority.

In a few more years after the Democrats bungle the historic opportunity vouchsafed them by the voters after this past election, perhaps a larger percentage will realize that it's time to break the two-party monopoly in Congress.

It's a bootstrap problem: If we start winning, contributions and more wins will follow!
    Posted by on January 12, 2007 09:22 PM

Tancredo speaks for the majority.
    Posted by American citizen on January 12, 2007 08:25 PM

Tancredo has got balls the size of grapefruits, so to speak. He also speaks the truth.
    Posted by Jeb Bush on January 12, 2007 08:22 PM

Go Tom go.
    Posted by on January 12, 2007 08:19 PM

Tom has my support 100%. He is exactly who me and my family will support. He has a heart and is a true American. He is a statesman first and politician second. Thanks for our courage.
    Posted by on January 12, 2007 08:09 PM

Let him run so he can have national exposure; let everyone see his bigotry and be shamed into retirement.
    Posted by SH in Denver on January 12, 2007 04:28 PM

Tancredo could have Condi Rice on the ticket. Just pure love in motion. Like the motion of a tomato in flight for Bush's limo.
    Posted by Tree on January 12, 2007 04:24 PM

Jack,
    As a Libertarian...what are your ideas for making third party candidates more competitive in the age of ever-expanding media budgets?
    Posted by jay on January 12, 2007 03:58 PM

Having run against Mr. Tancredo twice (as the Libertarian candidate in the 6th USCD) I hope he runs for President. This will both end his political career and leave his congressional seat open.

Seriously, he's too smart to run for President this year, he's up against very corrupt and powerful hoods with lots of money. Instead, I expect Tom will try for the Senate seat when Sen. Wayne Allard announces his retirement.

PS ... up above, a poster implies that Rep. Tancredo is a heavy drinker. I have been to umpteen political functions and have seen plenty of politicians stewed to the gills, but Mr. Tancredo was not one of them.

You can oppose fervently Tom's politics (as I do), but you cannot deny he conducts his personal life with the dignity befitting his office.
    Posted by JackWoehr on January 12, 2007 03:45 PM

3:27,
    Which "extremes" qualify one as "liberal"?
    Posted by jay on January 12, 2007 03:43 PM

I hope he decides to run. His resulting joke of a national showing will be a true testament to his myopic following of the validity and popularity of his platform. Why is it so hard for his minions to fathom that his ideas aren't supported by the majority of Americans...not even close?
    Posted by jay on January 12, 2007 03:24 PM

Yeah, he'd never make it.
    He spends too much time listening to the people instead of big labor, corporations, and entitlement groups who represent 0.00001% of the population at the expense of the other 99.99999%.
    Posted by on January 12, 2007 03:21 PM

Tancredo

Tancredo is great on the border, I just do think that in a time of war, Americans will elect a commander in chief who took a mental health deferrement to get out of Viet nam.