Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tandredo: Onward and upward: looking to 2008

http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/marotte/061112

Onward and upward: looking to 2008

Ken Marotte Ken Marotte
    November 12, 2006

Even the most pessimistic of Republican observers predicted the GOP to keep one house of Congress. But surpassing all expectations, the Democrats took hold of America's entire legislative branch. On Nov. 8, a stunned and disappointed Bush mused that Democrats "did a superb job in turning out the vote."

A correction is due — Republicans, not Democrats, turned out the vote in favor of the Democratic Party. Republicans have continued to push the flawed war in Iraq — an issue vital to voters and opposed by two-thirds of the country. Perhaps worse, on an abundance of other issues, the President and his party have run away from principle and into the arms of political expediency.

With the damage done, Republicans quickly look forward to 2008. Who will lead our party as presidential contender? Learning from the past few years, our next candidate has got to have sturdy convictions, an open mind, and an independent personality.

And that's why, with some two years to go, I proudly and confidently lend my endorsement to Colorado Sixth District Congressman Tom Tancredo.

Perhaps you aren't familiar with him. Unlike many legislators, Tancredo began his life as a history teacher. Growing impatient with politics-as-usual, Tancredo made a run for the Colorado state legislature (and won), and ultimately, for the U.S. House of Representatives. Winning his House seat in 1999, Tancredo has handily won each election since — even this year, when most Republicans across the country were fighting for their political lives.

Tancredo has not met success as a result of wishy-washy, moderate ideology. Tancredo scores a lifetime rating of 98 (the best being 100) from the American Conservative Union, as well as a 100 from the Christian Coalition of America. By voting against partial-birth abortion and gay marriage, as well as for school prayer and gun ownership, Tancredo has molded himself into a prominent and principled conservative.

Tancredo's pet issue is immigration. Himself a son of immigrants, Tancredo rightly believes that illegal immigration poses a threat to safety, jobs, and culture. In his words, "I have to tell you that we are facing a situation, where if we don't control immigration...we will eventually reach the point where [the issue] won't be what kind of a nation we are, balkanized or united; we will actually have to face the fact that we are no longer a nation at all."

It is precisely this issue that has placed Tancredo at odds with his own party and president. You see, several studies, including the 9/11 Commission Report, indicate that terrorism could have been, and still can be, prevented if we seal our borders and prevent illegals' entry. The vast majority of Americans seem to agree, as they continually request stricter border regulations and enforcement.

Speaking of Bush's unwillingness to seal the border in a post-9/11 world, Tancredo stated: "Unless we do something significant to control our borders, we're going to have another event with someone waltzing across the borders. Then the blood of the people killed will be on this administration and this Congress."

The following morning, Tancredo received a personal call on his cell phone from Karl Rove. In his rage, Rove called Tancredo a "traitor," and instructed him "never again to darken the doorstep of the White House."

This instance would play to Tancredo's favor in a contest for the presidency. As Bush has been one of the most consistently unpopular presidents in recent presidential history, Americans in 2008 will not want a 'presidential puppy.' They'll want someone who thinks outside the box. They'll want someone who will do what is right, even when it jeopardizes political loyalty and personal advantage. And that someone is Tancredo.

Perhaps you think it unlikely that a Congressman could be elected to the White House. But I would propose to you that presidential firsts and oddities abound. No one thought a president could lie under oath and escape punishment. No one thought a seemingly befuddled Bush administration could keep our country free of attack for several years. But both of the above, though shocking, came to fruition. And likewise, a President Tancredo could quite easily be elected.

Asked by FOXNews reporter Neil Cavuto if he would run for president, Tancredo answered that he would, if no other candidate emerged to tackle and address the important issues. "Your responsibility as a candidate for president is to do every single thing you can to tell the people what you believe to be the greatest threats to the nation and how you would deal with them," he said. "If they buy it — okay, you're elected. If they don't, you have done your best."

Given the disarray of the Republican Party, as well as America at-large, let's hope Tancredo "does his best" in 2008. For if he does, America may just buy it.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

JAK
    Tom Tancredo...AMERICA NEEDS YOU!
    Please help save America for our children and grandchildren... they are counting on us. THEY DESERVE the goodness of AMERICA not to be given to those who are stealing our children's future! ... and a congress who works for THEM!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

It would be great if Tom ran, we really need a man like him in office... but would his party even nominate him?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
    It would be great if Tom ran, we really need a man like him in office... but would his party even nominate him?
    I don't think they would. Tom isn't part of the elite crowd, or whatever you want to call them (I'm being polite). See what happens, may be other options for him.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

The Republican Party does not want to exist anymore. They are trying to select Martinez and Pence for leaders. Please argue with me.
    Unemployment is not working. Deport illegal alien workers now! Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by jean
    I don't think they would. Tom isn't part of the elite crowd, or whatever you want to call them (I'm being polite). See what happens, may be other options for him.
    JEAN did you mean the party of POND SCUM?

{I've passed my "polite" quotient and am far into my non-pc TRUTH mode}
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndamendsis
    Quote Originally Posted by jean
    JEAN did you mean the party of POND SCUM?

{I've passed my "polite" quotient and am far into my non-pc TRUTH mode}
    Ok, sis, sounds good to me. Thanks for clarifying!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK
    Tom Tancredo...AMERICA NEEDS YOU!
    Worth repeating.

The Republican party does not want Tom Tancredo to be the party nomination. Remember what Arlen specter with a small "s" yimach shemo ve-zichro (may his name and memory be obliterated) said about the Republican Party?

That "The Republican Party is now principally moderate, if not liberal!" He said this after getting $7 billion for domestic spending programs.

I don't want to admit that he is right, but it is certainly true for the Republican elite.
    You shall not stand idly by your brother's blood. (Leviticus 19:16)

I'd love to see him beat that slime McCain.
    The bit about Rove is interesting. Him and his dopey boss should hang their heads in shame.
    <div>Thank you Governor Brewer!</div>