Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

"there are also Latinos among 'vigilantes'

http://gringounleashed.typepad.com/grin ... also_.html

13 April 2005

"there are also Latinos among 'vigilantes'"

As promised, here's an article about Latino Minutemen. As another article pointed out in the earlier roundup, two of them have already gone home, but their story is still compelling. I looked in vain for an English version of the article, so I've gone out on a limb and translated the whole thing (and I'll have to explain why I avoid doing that sort of thing soon). Anyway, enjoy.

Lupe Moreno grew up among coyotes, but is now dedicated to denouncing them. Shortly after hanging her California state flag in the back of her van, she prepares with binoculars in hand to spend the day watching the arid Sonoran desert and reporting the undocumented immigrants that cross with a simple phone call.

The only thing that separates them is a rustic barbed wire fence, and a giant chasm of differences.

Lupe, 47, is a Mexican-American born in Redding, California, who decided to join a volunteer vigilante group of the Minuteman Project to patrol 20 miles of Arizona desert in the San Pedro Valley, reporting immigrants to the Border Patrol.

Her reasons go beyond a simple protest against U.S. and Mexican government inaction to stop illegal immigration; for her, it’s personal.

“I grew up around people who came to this country illegally,� says Lupe.

“My father was a coyote and we had hundreds of people coming through my house.�

At the age of 10, Lupe learned how to break the law, obtaining hundreds of Social Security numbers, and even driver’s licenses, for immigrants.

“I had a childhood that wasn’t a childhood. They raped us, they hit us,� she openly relates about her life and that of her brothers who were also sexually abused by criminals that frequented her house in the barrio of Santa Ana, California.

The wounds of the criminality of drug and human traffickers were tattooed on her body, the same as the death of her nephew at the hands of an undocumented immigrant.

Pregnant at 14, Lupe married an illegal immigrant at 16 who became her protector against those who abused her and he who gave him papers (read: illegal documentsâ€â€

Thank you for this story Darlene. My brother is in a serious fight with a La Raza type that asked him to meet him to.. 'exchange personal information'. I will be up on that board in a jiffy if I can do it. It will also go up on MS Forums.. it will go up in Cape Code Times Forum and I will try and get it up on a couple of the subscription forums I am on. What I really want to do is get it up on the Washington Post Forum but that is one tough nut to crack.

I have a good friend who is a first gen American from Mexico. His parents immigrated legally and are now citizens. He is a great American, and he HATES the illegals. As he puts it, "They are Mexicans, not Americans in the making. They want to steal from this country, not help us make it better."
    They are "undocumented" border patrol agents, not vigilantes.