Illegal resident faces sex charges

BY MARK BELL • MBELL@DNJ.COM • September 3, 2009

A 23-year-old man who told police he is in the country illegally is accused of having sex with a 15-year-old girl who he met online through the social networking site.

Jose A. Chicas, who moved to Lebanon from El Salvador, is scheduled to appear in court next week on two counts of statutory rape.

He allegedly posed as an 18-year-old on the MyYearBook.com Web site where he befriended the victim, according to a report filed by Murfreesboro Police Detective Tommy Roberts.

Roberts' report reads that Chicas contacted the victim and met her outside of her residence. The report does not state where the alleged sexual acts occurred.

"My investigation showed that Chicas was very aggressive with the victim," Roberts reported. "I was able to make contact with (him) and he met me at the Murfreesboro Police Department."

After interviewing him and "based on the evidence thus far," Roberts charged him with the two counts of statutory rape.

Roberts wrote in his report that a sexual assault kit was taken on his victim and was sent to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's crime lab in Nashville.

"The investigation is ongoing and there is the possibility of other charges," Roberts reported.

Police believe there may be other victims and authorities are asking anyone who may be a victim or who may have information on Chicas to call the Murfreesboro Police Department's detective division at 893-2717 or CrimeStoppers at 893-STOP (7867).

http://www.dnj.com/article/20090903/NEW ... ex+charges