Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Town Hall Focuses on Immigration Issues

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Town Hall Focuses on Immigration Issues

Posted:

Mar 30, 2012

LAS VEGAS - The room at the Mexican Consulate was jam-packed Thursday night for a hot topic.

"Immigration is a very sensitive issue for everybody, particularly to our minorities," said Consul General of Mexico Mariano Lemus Gas.
    Immigrants came to meet leaders face to face. Metro Police Sheriff Doug Gillespie listened to concerns from those in the community, including a woman who says she had $600 worth of flowers taken by police.

"An officer took my flowers from me, even though I presented the permit that I had to sell them," the woman said.

Gillespie promised to follow up on her concern. He was also asked why more officers don't speak Spanish.

"I'm not even going to try to say that we teach them how to speak Spanish, sir, but what we do teach them is how to ask basic police questions," Gillespie said.

"I have countless people that come to me, that go to jail for tickets, go to jail for petty larceny, go to jail because they were loitering, and they are put into immigration jails," activist Helena Garcia said.
    Officials from Immigration Customs and Enforcement said there was a time when all illegal immigrants were arrested.

"I always tell the story when I am at town hall meetings that when I was a Border Patrol agent, I'd stop at a Circle K for a Slushie, and there's an illegal alien sitting there, I'd arrest him. Why? Because, I could," said ICE Deputy Executive Associate Director of Enforcement and Removal Operations Thomas Homan.

Now, ICE prioritizes its arrests. "Criminal aliens, fugitives, recent border entrants, and those that re-entered after they were formally removed," Homan said.

Thursday night's meeting won't solve everything, but the goal was to bring all parties closer together.

"They have to treat us like humans," said Nevada Assemblywoman Lucy Flores. "They have to enforce the laws, but they have to treat us like the community members we all are, and in addition to that, we then have to treat them with the same respect."

Las Vegas has been plagued by immigration scams. Con artists promise, for thousands of dollars, they can keep an illegal immigrant in this country when they cannot.

After the town hall, immigrants also had a chance to meet one on one with legitimate immigration attorneys.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Now, ICE prioritizes its arrests. "Criminal aliens, fugitives, recent border entrants, and those that re-entered after they were formally removed," Homan said.

So they will arrest a criminal illegal, a fugitive illegal, a recent illegal entrant and an illegal that has re-entered, but if you are sneaky enough to have come here and been here a while you get a free pass?

He was also asked why more officers don't speak Spanish.
    They shouldn't have to. How about all the law breakers learn the language of the country they want to be in?

"They have to treat us like humans," said Nevada Assemblywoman Lucy Flores. "They have to enforce the laws, but they have to treat us like the community members we all are, and in addition to that, we then have to treat them with the same respect."

1st off, they are NOT "community members", they are a drain on society and a threat to American safety.

2nd, as soon as we start Enforcing laws, that means they Get Out, regardless of a so-called "previous crimianl past"...being illegal IS Criminal..

It really should be how it was "Arrest an Illegal, simply because you can, because they are Illegal"..thats the Correct way....All this "prioritizing" is risking the safety of too many Americans