Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trade War Promises to Hurt U.S. Jobs

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/trade_war

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER, AP Economics Writer Fri Apr 29, 3:30 PM ET

WASHINGTON - U.S. clothing, paper products and sweet corn will soon be more expensive for Europeans. For Canadians, American cigarettes, hogs, oysters and fish will cost more. For the U.S., it's all part of a new trade war that will mean lost sales and probably lost jobs.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Starting Sunday, American exporters of a wide range of products will be hit with penalty tariffs of 15 percent levied by Canada and the 25-nation
    European Union because of U.S. government payments to American companies that have been ruled illegal by the World Trade Organization.

Given current feelings in Congress, those penalties and additional sanctions pending in other countries could stay in effect for a long time, despite the Bush administration's opposition to the law that authorized the payments.

The law at issue, known as the Byrd amendment for its chief sponsor, Sen. Robert Byrd (news, bio, voting record), D-W.Va., enjoys broad support in Congress because of the millions of dollars it provides to U.S. companies.

Under the Byrd amendment, passed in October 2000, companies that bring successful cases against foreign firms alleging that their competitors' products are being sold in this country at unfairly low prices not only get the benefit of higher penalty tariffs placed on the competing products but also receive the tariff revenue that the government collects.

Before the Byrd amendment, the extra border taxes went into the government's coffers instead of being turned over to U.S. companies. Foreign companies complain that the new process amounts to double jeopardy. Not only are their products being hit with penalty tariffs but their U.S. competitors are getting a windfall from those tariffs.

The European Union and other nations sued the United States before the World Trade Organization and won the case in January 2003.

When the Byrd amendment was not repealed by the end of 2003, the EU and seven individual countries â€â€
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Can we impose tariffs on Mexico for every Illegal that has entered our country?
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

Can we impose tariffs on Mexico for every Illegal that has entered our country?
    We should. I know I have asked this question a few times.........
    What does Mexico do for us???????
    Can anybody answer the question?
    Why do we keep entering trade agreements that rarely benefit us?
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

When it comes to "trade", I don't believe we can believe a word coming out of anyone's mouth either in government or in business.

That said, I don't like seeing the WTO involved in our affairs.

It makes perfect sense for the companies who suffered because of the unfair trade to receive the money.

If other countries want to implement similar tariffs to protect these companies, God Bless Them.

Nations can and should do whatever they determine is best for their companie and their citizens, except violate a trade agreement or violate the laws of the United States.

What they do in their country is their business and what we do in ours, is, obviously, ours.

However, the claim that this will cost Americans jobs? Is this a joke?

Since when lately has ANYONE in government or business cared about government policies costing Americans their jobs?

That's laughable!

I mean, just look at how many jobs illegal immigration is costing in American jobs? Millions!!

Does any government leader or Captain of Industry care? No, they like foreign labor, not American Labor...so

Why should we, American Workers, care about what Canada charges America to even the score?

As American Workers, we're gonna lose either way, because NOBODY cares about the American Worker except American Workers, so why should weh, the American Workers, care about your tariff problems?
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

As American Workers, we're gonna lose either way, because NOBODY cares about the American Worker except American Workers, so why should weh, the American Workers, care about your tariff problems?
    Judy, you can take your bow.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!