Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump’s new fast-track deportations rule sparks confusion and fear among migrant comm

Trump’s new fast-track deportations rule sparks confusion and fear among migrant communities

(File photo)

By GUSTAVO SOLIS JULY 24, 2019 12:10 PM

SAN DIEGO —
    The phones of San Diego’s immigration lawyers have been ringing more than usual since Monday, when the Trump administration announced a new policy to fast-track deportations for unauthorized immigrants who have been in the country for less than two years.

The new policy also gives immigration agencies the authority to deport unauthorized immigrants without a court hearing.

“I’ve been receiving calls from clients who are confused and don’t know if this expedited removal policy applies to them or not,” said immigration lawyer Ed Orendain. “If it does apply to them, how do they prove they’ve been here for more than two years? What should they do if they are detained?”

The new policy actually expands an existing expedited removal, or fast-track deportations, policy.

Before Tuesday, unauthorized immigrants who crossed into the U.S. by land could be deported without an immigration hearing if they were arrested within 100 miles of the border and had been in the country less than two weeks.

The Trump administration’s expansion removed the geographic boundary and changes the two week period to two years. Part of the reason behind the expansion is an effort to reduce a growing case backlog of nearly 1 million in the country’s immigration courts.

“The effect of that change will be to enhance national security and public safety — while reducing government costs — by facilitating prompt immigration determinations,” according to a Department of Homeland Security notice.

Immigration lawyers are urging clients to figure out where they fall and to make a plan.

Orendain’s checklist begins with trying to establish that they meet the two-year threshold. If they do, he identifies what kind of documentation they can carry to satisfy the proof. In California unauthorized immigrants can have driver’s license that show the date they were issued.

Passports also help, if the documents shows it was issued in a consulate located in the United States.

Orendain also tells clients to have a folder handy — either at home, in the car or at work — with copies of lease agreements, employment verification letters, or other paperwork that shows they’ve been in the country for at least two years.

Clients who haven’t been in the country for two years need to be careful, he advised.

“What I’m telling my clients is — definitely if you don’t have the two years — you have to be careful,” Orendain said. “If you do have the two years, try to have as much proof of being here with you at all times — as long as it’s practical.”

The American Civil Liberties Union has already said its plan to fight the policy in court.

“It’s getting sued and I don’t think it will stay in place,” said immigration attorney Tammy Lin.

Lin noted that the Trump administration has faced similar lawsuits over immigration policies such as phasing out Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals — otherwise known as DACA — limiting migration from Muslim-majority countries, or limiting the number of people who can claim asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Lin, who has also received multiple calls from concerned clients, usually tells her clients to have a family action plan in case someone gets detained. She also recommends that anyone who has applied for some type of immigration benefit carry a copy of a receipt showing they applied for that benefit.

She also warns against people over-worrying, because that can have negative impacts on a person’s health.
    “If it makes you feel at ease to carry documents , then do it,” she said. “I just don’t want them to worry more than they really need to because that wears on you day-to-day.”

Another San Diego-based immigration lawyer, Andrew Nietor, said he has heard from concerned immigrants — both with and without documents — as well as U.S. citizens.

“It’s essentially a show-me-your-papers rule that is going to affect undocumented individuals but also documented individuals and even U.S. citizens if an immigration official stops somebody and asks to see their papers,” he said.

He has been telling clients to carry proper documentation at all times.

“It really pains me to tell people that because, in a way, I am reinforcing this show-me-your-papers policy,” he said.

“But the best way to protect yourself is to walk around with documentation.”

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ortations-rule
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

SELL OUT, PACK UP, AND GO TO CANADA BEFORE IT SNOWS!!!

THEY SIGNED THE "MIGRATION PACT"...USA DID NOT!

TAKE YOUR WHOLE FAMILY AND MINOR CHILDREN WITH YOU!!!!

PRINT FLYERS AND DROP THEM AT THE BORDER!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS HAVE "BROKEN" OUR IMMIGRATION SYSTEM

DO NOT REWARD THEM - DEPORT THEM ALL