Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Trump Effect: GOP Field Hardens Line On Birthright Citizenship

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

The Trump Effect: GOP Field Hardens Line On Birthright Citizenship

Trying to jump on Trump's coattails?

Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Ben Carson, Scott Walker, Donald Trump, Jeb Bush, Mike Huckabee, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and John Kasich pose at the start of the debate in Cleveland, Aug. 6, 2015. (REUTERS/Brian Snyder)
    ELECTIONS
    The Trump Effect: GOP Field Hardens Line On Birthright Citizenship

DEREK HUNTER
    Contributor
    AM 08/18/2015

Republican front-runner Donald Trump has forced the rest of the GOP field to toughen their stances on birthright citizenship.

Speaking with reporters in Iowa, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker followed Trump’s lead in calling for an end to the policy that grants citizenship to those born in the U.S.

Walker was, until earlier this year, a supporter of amnesty. He publicly admitted he changed his mind to openly oppose amnesty before Trump entered the race or even raised the issue. But he had been silent on the issue of birthright citizenship, until now.

When asked if it should be ended, Walker responded, “I think that’s something we should — yeah, absolutely, going forward.”

Kirsten Kukowski, Walker’s communications director, expanded on his comments, telling the Washington Post, “We have to enforce the laws, keep people from coming here illegally, enforce e-verify to stop the jobs magnet and by addressing the root problems we will end the birthright citizenship problem.”

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, a past proponent of a pathway to citizenship and who famously called entering the country illegally “an act of love,” is now talking enforcement, but not birthright citizenship.
    Speaking at an event in South Carolina this week, Bush said, “We’ve got to control the border, we’ve got to enforce the rule of law, we’ve got to deal with extended stays on legal visas, we’ve got to have an e-Verify system that’s verifiable, we’ve got to deal with sanctuary cities, we’ve got to forward-lean on the border. There’s practical things that we can do to reduce the flow of illegal immigrants, which clearly is important to do.”

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal came out in favor of ending birthright citizenship as well.

“We need to end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants,” Jindal tweeted.

On the 14th Amendment, where the concept of birthright citizenship comes from, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said, “I think all this stuff needs to be re-examined in light of the current circumstances.
    (Birthright citizenship) may have made sense at some point in our history, but right now, we need to re-look at all that.”

Unlike his competitors, Christie broached the subject before Trump released his immigration plan.
    Ohio Gov. John Kasich, however, bucks the trend.

Kasich, who was a proponent of ending birthright citizenship when he was on Congress, has changed his mind on the concept.

Speaking with CNN on August 12, Kasich renounced his former position. “When I think about it, I don’t believe it should be a fundamental part of this whole thing because I think it remains dividing to people, to be honest with you,” Kasich said. “I think we need to get over that. I’m not for it anymore. Let these people who are born here be citizens and that’s the end of it. I don’t want to dwell on it.”

As for the GOP senators in the race — Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz — they remain nebulous on the concept of birthright citizenship.

Earlier this year the Congress passed the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act by a vote of 99-0. Louisiana Sen. David Vitter attempted to offer an amendment to end birthright citizenship, but it was not brought up for a vote. None of the GOP senators seeking the party’s nomination spoke out in favor or opposition to the amendment.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/18/go...#ixzz3jHSAJ7eG

Two of the above mentioned Presidential candidates - one turns toward the people, (Walker), one turns away (Kasich).
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Once again we patriots owe a debt to Donald Trump for challenging the false assumption of automatic citizenship based on geographic location at birth. Trump has forced this issue into the forefront of political debate. I guarantee you that the vast majority of Americans did not even know there was such a thing as “anchor babies.” Thanks to Donald Trump now they know.

I guarantee you that when the low information voters learn about the exploitation of the 14th. Amendment they will get mad about being played for a sucker. They will understand that most illegal aliens are cynical, and intentionally exploiting American tolerance and kindness.

The core strategy of the open borders/amnesty lobby is to invoke pity in American citizens for illegal aliens. Pity undermines support for decisive action because it is difficult for the average citizen to do what they perceive as cruel to downtrodden, benign peasants. When American citizens, in mass, come to accurately view most illegal aliens as not benign and not nice people, they will stop feeling pity for them. And if that happens the anti-sovereignty lobby will suffer a major defeat. And our movement to defend national sovereignty will have a great infusion of new allies and energy.

Quote Originally Posted by csarbww View Post
    Once again we patriots owe a debt to Donald Trump for challenging the false assumption of automatic citizenship based on geographic location at birth. Trump has forced this issue into the forefront of political debate. I guarantee you that the vast majority of Americans did not even know there was such a thing as “anchor babies.” Thanks to Donald Trump now they know.

I guarantee you that when the low information voters learn about the exploitation of the 14th. Amendment they will get mad about being played for a sucker. They will understand that most illegal aliens are cynical, and intentionally exploiting American tolerance and kindness.

The core strategy of the open borders/amnesty lobby is to invoke pity in American citizens for illegal aliens. Pity undermines support for decisive action because it is difficult for the average citizen to do what they perceive as cruel to downtrodden, benign peasants. When American citizens, in mass, come to accurately view most illegal aliens as not benign and not nice people, they will stop feeling pity for them. And if that happens the anti-sovereignty lobby will suffer a major defeat. And our movement to defend national sovereignty will have a great infusion of new allies and energy.
    You're absolutely right, and Trump is right "I don't believe they are American citizens."-- Donald Trump

They're not. Born in the USA is not enough under the US Constitution, the Constitution requires born in the USA and under the jurisdiction thereof. Not one condition, but two conditions. Children of illegal aliens fail to meet the second condition which of the two is the most important.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn