Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Trump says he's open to pathway to citizenship 'incentive'

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Trump says he's open to pathway to citizenship 'incentive'

Trump says he's open to pathway to citizenship 'incentive'

January 24, 2018

Tal Kopan

(CNN)President Donald Trump on Wednesday opened the door to citizenship for young undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children, the first time he's explicitly said he'd accept a pathway to citizenship for them.

"We're going to morph into it. It's going to happen at some point in the future," Trump said of the immigrants eligible for some version of the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which Trump has ended but is urging Congress to replace. He said the time frame would be over 10 to 12 years. The President made his comments to a group of reporters who were meeting with White House chief of staff John Kelly at the White House.

Trump called it an "incentive" for the immigrants, who largely have known no other country beside America, to work hard and do a "great job."

"If they do a great job, I think it's a nice thing to have the incentive of, after a period of years, being able to become a citizen," Trump said.

In the meantime, he said DACA recipients should not be worried about being deported if their status expires.

"Tell them not to be concerned, OK?" Trump said. "Tell them not to worry about it. We're going to solve the problem. Now, it's up to the Democrats, but they should not be concerned."

Whether to include a pathway to citizenship -- as opposed to stopping at legal residency -- for DACA recipients has been a key sticking point between hardline conservatives and moderate Republicans and Democrats, on the other.

Trump's extended comments on what he wants in an immigration deal were some of the most substantive to date, after lawmakers have asked the White House and President for months for a clear outline of what he could -- and couldn't -- support.

Despite a war of words in recent days with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, the President also said he'd definitely be welcome back at the White House for more negotiations -- and he didn't believe that Schumer had really taken the wall off the table, as the New York Democrat said he had earlier this week.
    "I like him! I like Schumer! I grew up with Schumer," Trump told reporters.

Reactions to Trump's DACA comments

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina who's been a key part of congressional immigration negotiations, immediately praised Trump's comments after they were made public.

"This statement represents presidential leadership on immigration that will allow us to solve a difficult problem," Graham said in a statement. "I truly appreciate President Trump making it clear that he supports a path to citizenship for DACA recipients. This will greatly help the Senate efforts to craft a proposal which President Trump can sign into law."

Sen. Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, also appeared to praise his remarks in tweeting, "The President is headed in the right direction here" with a link to a story on Trump's comments.
    Trump also once again equivocated on whether he might extend the deadline for DACA permits to begin expiring if Congress can't get ready in time — a possibility that if left open could complicate the sense of urgency in Congress to reach a deal.

"Yeah, I might do that," Trump said of moving the deadline, which is March 5. "I'm not guaranteeing it because I want to put a little bit of -- but I certainly have the right to do it."

The President's openness to a pathway to citizenship and clear articulation that the wall, family-based migration and diversity lottery were all he wanted in this deal could help Republicans pare down what conservatives have been pushing for.
    "After DACA is done, we will look at the overall immigration," Trump said. "In the initial (deal), we're putting chain, a negotiated chain, we're putting a replacement for lottery or an end to lottery ... and we are going to build a wall, so those three primary things."

The wall

During the meeting with reporters, Trump also explained what he's looking for on his long-promised border wall, saying that "if you don't have a wall, you don't have DACA."

The President said he wanted $25 billion for the wall and $5 billion for "other security measures," all put in a trust fund. He also reiterated that the wall would be roughly 800 miles of new construction plus other replacement fencing and wall, and that it would not have to go anywhere natural barriers existed, like mountains and rivers.

"I'm going to build it way under budget, but we're putting down $25 billion for the wall," Trump said. "But we will build it way under."

Family immigration and diversity lottery

The President also offered some clarity on what he's looking for on his asks to curtail "chain migration," or family-based visa categories, and the diversity visa lottery — though he left some wiggle room for negotiation.

On chain migration, the President seemed to saw the only visa categories would be for spouses and minor children, but called parents a "tricky situation."

"You'll have wives and husbands and you'll have sons and daughters, and you'll talk about parents, the parents is a tricky situation because they came here illegally," Trump said.
    He repeated his complaints about the diversity lottery — incorrectly suggesting that countries select nefarious characters for the randomly-selected immigrants that still go through vetting — but said it could be replaced or ended.

"It could be a replacement, we bring people in from various countries that come in based on merit and various other reasons," Trump said. "I think even the Democrats know the lottery system is not good. It's a bad system. By the way, great system for other countries, bad system for us."

The President's endorsement of a deal is seen as critical for passing it in Congress — especially in the House, where the Republican base has been pushing House Speaker Paul Ryan to secure the most conservative deal possible regardless of what can pass the Senate, where Democratic votes are required to clear a 60 vote threshold to advance legislation.

As Trump was leaving the impromptu gathering with reporters, he turned to Kelly and asked for a deal in a few days, prompting laughter from the room.

"Hey, chief, will you do me a favor? When we come back (from Davos), I want you to have a deal, OK? See if we can have a deal," Trump told his chief of staff.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/24/polit...hip/index.html
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 01-24-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Wow, amnesty zealots Graham and Durbin are back to praising Trump. What about the principles Trump outlined clearly in his Arizona speech during the campaign?

Trump is negotiating against himself here, lying and reneging on his campaign pledges, and is now even hedging against ending chain migration and the visa lottery -- not to mention absolutely no discussion of mandatory E-Verify -- all while even threatening a mass amnesty.

And we all know the "wall" will be mostly dropped after the Democrats regain control of Congress or even before then -- just like the double-layered fence was in 2006.

If this comes to pass, this will be a betrayal of epic proportions.

MW
    In the meantime, he said DACA recipients should not be worried about being deported if their status expires.

"Tell them not to be concerned, OK?" Trump said. "Tell them not to worry about it. We're going to solve the problem. Now, it's up to the Democrats, but they should not be concerned."
    This makes it clear that Trump obviously has no intention of ending DACA protection for illegal immigrants.

Trump also once again equivocated on whether he might extend the deadline for DACA permits to begin expiring if Congress can't get ready in time — a possibility that if left open could complicate the sense of urgency in Congress to reach a deal.

"Yeah, I might do that," Trump said of moving the deadline, which is March 5. "I'm not guaranteeing it because I want to put a little bit of -- but I certainly have the right to do it."
    There he goes again talking about extending the March 5 deadline. The ALIPAC member who had previously said "DACA is dead as a door nail" is obviously countering what Trump is saying! Trump himself doesn't consider March 5th a hard date for DACA program expiration.

I would suggest to Trump that his words have meaning and he is really starting to piss off a huge portion of his base with those words.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Chad Pergram

@ChadPergram

WH CoS Kelly expected to come to Capitol Hill tomorrow with the WH's DACA plan. Senators will be here. But the House isn't even in session the rest of the week.

Matthew 19:26
    But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

ALIPAC Responds to Trump Support for Citizenship for DACA illegals

Share & Discuss this release on (Facebook HERE) ... (Twitter HERE) ... (GAB HERE).. (ALIPAC HERE)

https://www.alipac.us/f8/alipac-resp...legals-354939/