Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tuition bill makes sense in Raleigh N&0

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/...-8696410c.html

Tuition bill makes sense

By ANDREA BAZAN MANSON, Correspondent

RALEIGH -- On Tuesday, former Gov. Jim Hunt and several members of the General Assembly helped revive the American Dream. House Bill 1183 -- Access to Higher Education and a Better Economic Future -- was introduced at a press conference. The bill could have been named "We Believe in Our Young People." Education has always been the hallmark of our society and our democracy.
    The purpose is simple. The bill would allow students graduating from North Carolina high schools who are children of undocumented workers to attend community college or state universities at in-state tuition rates. In-state tuition would be available to those students who:

• Have completed four years in a North Carolina high school and graduated in good standing.

• Meet the academic requirements for admission to the institutions.

• Pursue U.S. citizenship.

The bill is unusual for its bipartisan nature and its emotional depth. Hunt called the legislation an important economic development step, citing the need for teachers and health care workers. Big names came out and supported the proposal. Students, teachers, business leaders, community members, representatives of large and small organizations stood in the packed room.

The students in question would not be eligible for any grants, loans or most scholarships. They and their parents would have to find a way to pay the in-state tuition, which, although much less than out-of-state tuition, is still a steep price tag for families living at or just above the poverty level.

Who benefits from this proposed bill? We all do. We can repay part of the debt we owe to previous generations of immigrants in our own families who came to North Carolina, struggled for education and helped create the prosperity in which we live.

We won't lose the investment we have made in educating these students in our public schools. Our state will gain a pool of educated, motivated (they have to be, to get to this point) bilingual workers who will help us face the economic and social challenges of the next 10 to 50 years. If they become trained professionals in a wide range of fields, they will enable us to compete in the Spanish-speaking marketplace and to integrate the second fastest-growing Latino population in the country into our state.

What the bill won't do is steal thousands of spots in our colleges and universities from other students. Only a small fraction of the 400 to 1,300 immigrant students graduating from North Carolina high schools will be eligible for in-state tuition.

And the bill will not increase immigration to North Carolina. Immigrants come for jobs, pure and simple, and our economy depends in good part on the work of these immigrants. We also depend on the taxes they pay and the wages they spend.

These kids did not ask to come to North Carolina. Currently, there are few, if any, legal avenues for Mexican workers (who make up the majority of the immigrant population in our state) to come here legally. And yet these are exactly the workers on whom we are depending to help build our roads, cook our food and clean our hotels. Just look around and you will see.

• • •

Many members of the General Assembly, Hunt, business leaders, educators, community leaders and religious leaders all support this bill.

Unfortunately, there is a small and very vocal minority of North Carolinians who do not. Some of their opposition has come in the form of ugly and vicious e-mails and phone calls to legislators and others.

I know that immigration can be an emotional issue. For some of us, it is an emotional issue because we remember, with pride, those of our ancestors who had the courage to come to the United States and start a new life. For others, it seems to be an emotional issue because they are unwilling or unable to share the blessings and bounty of our democracy and country with others.

We can only hope that North Carolinians remember our history as a proud and independent people where "the weak grow strong." Our state will only be as strong as its people, and this bill helps make our young, undocumented students into strong, capable, taxpaying and productive citizens. Sounds like a win-win situation.

(Andrea Bazan Manson is executive director and chief lobbyist for El Pueblo, a Latino advocacy organization.)

El Pueblo's Opinion on Tuition Bill

I HOPE I DON'T SPIT UP.................

Notice how skillfully she calls us big mouthed angry people with a minority view?

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Well let's face it, if things keep on the way they are going, Americans will be the minority in the USA before long.

Suppose we can get into College with minority status then? Or maybe get some free social services. I could use a little help myself. How 'bout you?

Course I'm just a dumb 'ole American Southern Girl. :P :P :P :P

I don't get it. If everyone, including public agencies and officials, know who the illegal aliens are why are they not being turned in to the Federal authorities?

Seems like there is a real need for the legislation proposed in NC Senate Bills 976 and 419 that would require proof of citizenship or lawful residence to get a drivers license or public benefits. Such laws would significantly reduce NC's illegal alien population as they move on to "greener pastures." Not unlike what has happened with welfare recipients when there is a differnence in payments between states.

What are the odds that S. 976 and S. 419 will pass?[/quote]

You can ask our good Guvner why that bill won't pass. He won't let it. Too many illegal voters out there that he wants to tap in to. They should've checked further into the last election for voter fraud. Ask Mr. Gheen about the email instructions sent to the NCDMV forcing them to give out driver's licenses and IDs. They were told they were not to "police" the people coming in. Just to make sure they had what NC asks for as their proof of identification. Which is pretty much nothing, if you ask me.

I've got an idea!

Maybe all of us angry folks with this "minority" view should drive up to Raleigh when they decide which day to vote and stand on the steps with big NO signs. Wonder how many it would take before they decide there's more than a "few" of us loud mouths?

Our state will only be as strong as its people
    Well, there's some truth in their BS, however, I wonder which people she's referring to?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: El Pueblo's Opinion on Tuition Bill

Quote Originally Posted by good12me
    I HOPE I DON'T SPIT UP.................
    I just did! NOW .. they should be FAIR and give WILLIAM equal time!
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Culion:

Good question.

The only chance we have of getting a bill like SB 976 (An improved version of Arizona's Proposition 200) is with a ground swell of public support.

People that have written me at WilliamG@alipac.us to be added are now on our "Battle for NC" email list.

We have launched our e-mail, letter, and call lobbying campaign against HB 1183 already and today we are launching a letter to the editor campaign.

We will proceed to push on these bills and we are setting up a series of Town Meetings all across North Carolina. We hope to pick up more support during the meetings and we plan to channel that support into the lobbying via phone and letters.

Then on May 17 we are going to have "Immigration Reform Day" at the NC Legislature. We need to muster as large of a crowd of LEGAL North Carolinians and supporters from other states that we can.

William

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast