Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tuition bill stirs debate over immigration policies

A somewhat balanced article listing the in-state tuition. I am pretty sure
    I will find a much more bias article in the morning, from an illegal alien lover here in Omaha.

LINK to Story

Tuition bill stirs debate over immigration policies
    BY DON WALTON / Lincoln Journal Star

The deep-seated emotions and tensions associated with immigration policy and practice were on display Tuesday at a legislative hearing on a controversial college tuition bill.

Prompting the lively discussion was Sen. DiAnna Schimek's proposal to clear the way for children of illegal immigrants to acquire a post-secondary education in Nebraska at resident tuition rates.

"Many immigrants come to get a better life," Schuyler Central High School student Cris Salinas told the Education Committee.
    "Most can't get a higher education because of the cost," he said.

Nonresident costs at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln average $11,430 a year, Schimek said, roughly three times the price of resident tuition.

Salinas, a legal U.S. resident from Mexico who plans to attend the University of Nebraska at Kearney, acted as spokesman for a group of Latino students from Schuyler who attended the hearing.

Schuyler is home to a large meatpacking plant with a predominantly Latino work force, some of whom entered the United States illegally.

The growing immigrant population contributes to Nebraska's economy, pays taxes and is an important component of the state's labor force, Schimek said.

Many of those who entered the country illegally have stayed, worked, raised their children and established their lives here, the Lincoln senator said. Her bill, LB239, would clear the way for their children to go to college at resident tuition rates if they have lived in the state at least three years, graduated from a Nebraska high school and will seek permanent residency status.

"These children have done nothing illegal," Sen. Ray Aguilar of Grand Island said. "They came here with parents who were seeking a better life."

They drop out of school because "they feel they have no opportunity past the high school level," said Cecilia Olivarez Huerta, executive director of the Mexican-American Commission.

"We are relegating them to the meatpacking jobs many of their parents are doing. We are saying: ‘Stay in your place.'"

Opponents argued that immigrants who enter the country illegally should be held accountable for violating the law and not be rewarded for illegal behavior.

"People need to be willing to wait their turn," said Susan Tully of Viroqua, Wis., Midwest field director of the Federation for American Immigration Reform.
    "They should not be given an advantage over someone who plays by the rules."

Frank Nowak of Omaha, who identified himself as the grandson of a Polish immigrant who came to the country legally to work in a meatpacking plant, said south Omaha is "pretty much populated by illegal aliens today."
    National security is jeopardized by lax immigration enforcement, he said.
    "We're in a war. Some people (wish us) ill will."
    Illegal immigrants "take services away from other people," Nowak said.

Jim Fougeron of Gretna said immigrants increase the tax burden.
    "We're tired of it," he said, "but very few people know what's going on."

The University of Nebraska Board of Regents has endorsed Schimek's bill.

Voicing support at the hearing were representatives of the Nebraska Appleseed Center, the Nebraska Catholic Conference and the Nebraska chapter of the National Association of Social Workers.

Reach Don Walton at 473-7248 or dwalton@journalstar.com.

Edit: Link by Mr_Magoo

Quote Originally Posted by Husker
    Opponents argued that immigrants who enter the country illegally should be held accountable for violating the law and not be rewarded for illegal behavior.

"People need to be willing to wait their turn," said Susan Tully of Viroqua, Wis., Midwest field director of the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

Egg-sactly!! ... this should be a no-brainer for those who still choose to think!
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by watchman

Egg-sactly!! ... this should be a no-brainer for those who still choose to think!
    It was good to see that a small group (there were only 5 from PNN, plus Tully, plus an 84 year old guy (who is now part of PNN), which spoke against this crap, however, I am 95% sure that this bill will DIE a death in the committee. The years session ends the middle of April, and by the way the committee was commenting to us (and to them), I am pretty sure they were NOT too happy with this bill (which has been introduced each year for the past 4 years).

I would hate to think if our little group did not show up. The only opposition would have been Barney, and would he have talked if all by himself??? I do not know. The propoents talked for almost 2 hours, but in the 30-40 minutes we took up, I am sure that a much larger impact was made!

I had so much fun at this, that I will also be there (different committee reading) for a concealed carry law. Yes, NE is one of only 3 states which DO NOT allow concealed carry, even though this is the VERY first section in our constitution (the statement of rights).

CI-1
    Statement of rights.
    All persons are by nature free and independent,
    and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are
    life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep
    and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and
    others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use,
    and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be
    denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To
    secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments
    are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the
    consent of the governed.

http://statutes.unicam.state.ne.us/corp ... chapC.html

i.e. how the HECK are we being infringed upon with a constution like that!
    Now ppl see why term limits in this state are SO required!

Quote Originally Posted by watchman

It should be a no brainer, but unfortunately as Dr Savage puts it on his radio station, too many people are affected by the disease called extreme liberalism which affects any ability to think on the level of a normal human being and this disease has unfortunately spread to all levels of life including the most highest positions of power. Too many of these powers to be have bowed at the alter of political correctness, multiculturalism, diversity and the ole mighty dollar.

Anyway I don't understand why we continue to give illegal aliens benefits that even us citizens can't get. These illegals can't legally work in this country after there done with college anyway so why are we catering to them? It's simple. Because the majority of our government has sold us out. These power brokers are nothing, but whores for big business who have been bought and pay for to do their bidding. What makes me sick the most is that these illegals that are clamoring for in-state tuition, you know why they want a college education? Because most of these illegals want to become lawyers and social workers so they can lie and scam their way into getting their foot into the door known as the establishment so they can find ways to quote on quote help out more immigrants (ad nauseum).

Of course the OBL will use the big lie as their main talking point stating that the reason why they want in-state tuition is because the children shouldn't pay for the sins of the parents. I say so what? It probably is true that the kids didn't have a choice and had to follow their parents, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that they are still here illegally and I further say that the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay the price for the illegal behavior of others because our own government fails to do the job that the taxpayers elected them to do.

Bottom line is that illegals (both children and parents) need to be deported, not rewarded with benefits that us citizens aren't even entitled to.

What's next to come down this slippery slope? In state tuition for convicted felons?
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by dman1200
    Anyway I don't understand why we continue to give illegal aliens benefits that even us citizens can't get. These illegals can't legally work in this country after there done with college anyway so why are we catering to them? It's simple. Because the majority of our government has sold us out. These power brokers are nothing, but whores for big business who have been bought and pay for to do their bidding. What makes me sick the most is that these illegals that are clamoring for in-state tuition, you know why they want a college education? Because most of these illegals want to become lawyers and social workers so they can lie and scam their way into getting their foot into the door known as the establishment so they can find ways to quote on quote help out more immigrants (ad nauseum).
    This issue was pushed HEAVILY (although not mentioned by the paper article). The libs and other OBL were pretty much left stuttering when this question was posed. One of the reasons I feel SO good about this bill being dead is that this line of questioning was originally posed by the education committee members and directed AT the lib senator pushing this piece-o-crap bill

Of course the OBL will use the big lie as their main talking point stating that the reason why they want in-state tuition is because the children shouldn't pay for the sins of the parents. I say so what? It probably is true that the kids didn't have a choice and had to follow their parents, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that they are still here illegally and I further say that the taxpayers shouldn't have to pay the price for the illegal behavior of others because our own government fails to do the job that the taxpayers elected them to do.
    The libs did this also. And WE squashed that 100%. We are NOT talking about children, far from it. We have already been FORCED by illegal action of the federal goverment, to teach the illegal kids. We are NOT talking about "harming the kids". The people who would benefit from this legislation ARE ADULTS. The committee opened their eyes WIDE (you could actually SEE the realization set in), when we hammered this FACT to them.

Remember, when debating a lib, DO NOT take what they say as fact, it rarely is true fact (but there usually is a sliver of truth in there somewhere). The libs have become VERY skilled in emotional speech like this, and twisting the truth to really pull the tears from peoples eyes. When talking with them, you MUST listen to what they are trying to state, and find the lie hidden within, and attack and kill that lie. The whole case they are trying to make, will usually crumble when you do that, and the libs usually have NOTHING left to argue with. Then when you hear the 'racist' moniker, you KNOW they are done and have lost!

Bottom line is that illegals (both children and parents) need to be deported, not rewarded with benefits that us citizens aren't even entitled to.

What's next to come down this slippery slope? In state tuition for convicted felons?
    Well the worthless legislature here in NE just granted a blanket amnesty to convicted felons to vote in this state, 2 years after sentence/parole completion. The governer (new governer, good riddance to Johans!) used veto (his first) for this crap, and the DAMN senators overrode the veto! This state having only a unicameral (the only one in the states, I think), is REALLY a problem, since there is no checks/balances.

Well, I am off today to speak to the legilature again. This time over concealed carry bill.

Update

I do not have an official update just yet, but I will update what information I have that was "off the record".

I again spoke in front of a legislature committee yesterday (Committee on Judiciary). I was there to speak for NE's LB454, which is a concealed carry bill.

There were other bills on the committee's schedule, and LB454 was scheduled last. By chance, the senator who introduced LB239 (in-state tuition to illegal aliens), presented the first bill to the committee. THEN she just happened to walk over and sit right next to me!!!! Well, I have NEVER been one to look a gift horse in the mouth (eewwww), however, I did whisper/chat with her about a few things, and certainly played a simple ignorant "citizen". I did find out from her that LB239 was 95% DOA in committee. There is still a "chance" it will leave committee, but it is not a priority bill for her any more, and she is pretty sure it will not get out of committee, which means it will be 2 years until that piece-o-crap can be re-introduced.

A NOTE TO ALL. There were only 3 members of our PAC which testified. We made contact with Susan from FAIR, and she was so great to actually DRIVE down, and testify with us, and there was one other 82+ year older gentleman who all testisfied. That was IT. If we had NOT picked up the ball, and not showed up, and simply shown our displeasment (with facts of course), this bill might have been snuck through, and FORCED onto the tax payers of this state. REMEMBER all, we DO HOLD THE POWER. But that power does require some action.

It's a free ride for them, isn't it?

As crazy liberal as our society has become, some bleeding heart will eventually drag out the soapbox whining about "compassionate conservatism" for convicted felons .. if they haven't already.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan