Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tuition break bill set to falter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tuition break bill set to falter

http://www.newsobserver.com/politics...-8856482c.html

Published: May 28, 2005
    Modified: May 28, 2005 3:20 AM

Tuition break bill set to falter
    Backlash targets illegal immigrants

By JANE STANCILL, Staff Writer

A plan to offer in-state university tuition to illegal immigrants was introduced with fanfare at the General Assembly this spring. But it quickly unleashed a torrent of anger on talk radio.
    Now, House Bill 1183 appears to be headed for a quiet burial next week. It is unlikely to pass either chamber before a key deadline in the legislature, supporters say.

Though sponsors say they would still like to see a public hearing or a study commission examine the issue, they admit that the outcry from citizens and organized opponents sealed the bill's fate.

"I've been told to leave the state," said Rep. Paul Luebke, a Durham Democrat who sponsored the bill with a fellow Democrat and two Republicans. "I've been told to move to Mexico. ... This is the tenor of the remarks."

The furor has made it impossible to have a rational discussion of the bill's components, Luebke said.

Introduced April 12, the bill would let high school graduates who are not legal residents pay lower, in-state tuition if they have attended a North Carolina school for at least four straight years. Students must apply for citizenship and meet a college's academic standards to qualify.

There are an estimated 300,000 illegal immigrants in North Carolina; sponsors said several hundred students a year could receive the tuition deal under the rules.

The bill had bipartisan support and the backing of former Gov. Jim Hunt. But almost as soon as it was introduced, sparks began to fly.

Rush Limbaugh lambasted the idea on his national radio show. Local talk shows were bombarded with angry calls and e-mail messages, as were legislators. Gov. Mike Easley suggested the bill would run afoul of federal law.

Ten lawmakers eventually removed their names from the bill; four sponsors and 22 co-sponsors remain.

William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee, predicted that voters would oust some legislative sponsors in the next election.

"They've invested a lot of energy and effort, and they can't believe how quickly it has fallen apart," said Gheen, who is in Las Vegas this weekend to speak at an event called the Unite to Fight Against Illegal Immigration Summit.

Despite the surge of opposition, there were indications of wider support for the bill. An Elon University survey in April showed that 49 percent of North Carolinians polled supported the measure, and 41 percent opposed it.

Andrea Bazan-Manson, executive director of the Latino advocacy group El Pueblo, said she was surprised by the backlash.

"I didn't expect the rhetoric to get so ugly," she said.

Although disappointed, she is not discouraged.

"If anything, it makes us work harder and stand solid in our commitment that this legislation does get passed," she said.

El Pueblo honored sponsors of the bill last weekend in Greensboro. About 600 people attended the event, Bazan-Manson said.

Rep. Rick Glazier, a Democratic sponsor from Fayetteville, said the state should continue discussion on the issue. More importantly, he said, Congress needs to clarify immigration laws.

"The federal inaction has caused tremendous issues for the states," he said.

Luebke said the anger should not be directed at Latino children who want a better education.

"The need for educated bilingual people is not going away," he said. "The number of qualified Latino graduates is increasing. This is a problem that has to be addressed."

But the emotional response of the public should be a message to politicians about how North Carolinians feel about immigration, Gheen said.

"The illegal aliens in North Carolina -- it would be best for them to make other plans," Gheen said.

Staff writer Jane Stancill can be reached at 956-2464 or janes@newsobserver.com.

Jane

I emailed Jane and told her that I was not surprised that the only poll she deemed appropriate to show results from was the push-poll by Elon.

I informed her of every other poll in the state that was taken, including the one by her own newspaper, that showed an overwhelming over-90% of North Carolinians were against giving the economic terrorists in-state tuition.

She was also informed that we could cancel our subscriptions to her paper just as easily as we renewed them as we were tired of their biased rhetoric. That it was not a threat, just a reality. I also asked her where was their coverage of the Las Vegas Summit that was listed in her column.

I requested respectfully that the Raleigh N&O and the elected officials of NC wake up and smell the voters. We put them in and we can take them out!!

Re: Tuition break bill set to falter

"I've been told to leave the state," said Rep. Paul Luebke, a Durham Democrat who sponsored the bill with a fellow Democrat and two Republicans. "I've been told to move to Mexico. ... This is the tenor of the remarks."

The furor has made it impossible to have a rational discussion of the bill's components, Luebke said.
    "I've been told to leave the state" said Luebke.....couldn't have said it better myself. Best laugh I had all week....that is exactly what he should do. Traitor!!

BTW: There is no rational discussion of the completely IRRATIONAL agenda of National Council of La Raza, El Pueblo, and any politicians low enough to give any of that outfit the time of day.

"no rational discussion" of the completely IDIOTIC = OXYMORON!!

William Gheen, president of Americans for Legal Immigration Political Action Committee, predicted that voters would oust some legislative sponsors in the next election.
    Yesirree, William....we're gonna "oust 'em on their ears!!

Despite the surge of opposition, there were indications of wider support for the bill. An Elon University survey in April showed that 49 percent of North Carolinians polled supported the measure, and 41 percent opposed it.
    Ms. Jane Stancil, reporter for the globalists, FAILED to mention the three REAL POLLS that showed over 90% of North Carolinians opposed this idiotic bill. And BTW...has no one found that MISSING 10% YET in the Elon Poll....49 + 41 = 90%....did they throw the other 10% of the poll that probably belongs to our side in the trash??? Why sure they did. We've got their number.

There is no level too low for these people to stoop!

Andrea Bazan-Manson, executive director of the Latino advocacy group El Pueblo, said she was surprised by the backlash.

"I didn't expect the rhetoric to get so ugly," she said.

Although disappointed, she is not discouraged.

"If anything, it makes us work harder and stand solid in our commitment that this legislation does get passed," she said.
    What is wrong with this woman? You know she is an "immigrant" from Argentina in 1980....I wonder.....has anyone checked her "papers"? She might not even be an American Citizen or a Legal Resident. We know she's a tax law scammer... and lookey here.... at the little bonus she gave us below:

El Pueblo honored sponsors of the bill last weekend in Greensboro. About 600 people attended the event, Bazan-Manson said.
    Feedin' 600 people to HONOR politicians, even when they FAIL, is BIG MONEY LOBBYING....strictly PROHIBITED for a 501 C 3 "public charity". See....public charities are not allowed to interfere with public policy, impact public policy or influence legislation at any level, federal, state or local (IRS CODE). In otherwords, this immigrant's meddlin' with our politics is AGAINST THE LAW, i. e. ILLEGAL. Do ya'll see a common theme here with these people?

Hmmmm....lawbreakers feedin and honorin' lawmakers =...... JAIL!!

Lock 'em up and throw away the key!

"The need for educated bilingual people is not going away," he said. "The number of qualified Latino graduates is increasing. This is a problem that has to be addressed."
    There they go again with that bilingual people thing....what are they talkin' about. Why do they see a "need for educated bilingual people"? Why do these people think "the number of qualified Latino graduates is increasing"? Where are they increasing? Why are they increasing?

Further evidence that those here illegally need to be removed from our midst and DEPORTED....that, Sir, is the one and only legal and acceptable remedy to this NATIONAL DISASTER called illegal immigration sucking our citizens down the drain and a process in which you, Sir, seem to be tightly woven.

Are they expecting an even greater Latino FLOOD into the United States?

"The illegal aliens in North Carolina -- it would be best for them to make other plans," Gheen said.
    Well said, William!! Good Job William!! Ya did great job on defeating HB 1183. We're working hard now on passing NC SB 976. William, if you read this, look at the posts on NC SB 976 Citizenship Taypayer Protection Act topic on this forum. Ms. Laza-Chatterdon, Director, Hispanic/Latino Affairs in Senate President Pro Tem's Office, responded to our letters with a form letter.

WHAT is this position doing in Mark Basnight's Office, who is paying for it, and what do they do all day....plot with Ms. Bazan-Manson to use our legislature, legislation, and tax dollars to "git stuff for illegals"?? Why would North Carolianians want to pay someone to conspire all day with a "not for profit" tax exempt law scammer to tap illegal aliens into illegal jobs, housing, automobiles, colleges and universities, public services, benefits and other Public Dole at the expense and to the detriment of North Carolina Citizens?

Of course, we... DON'T!! To have even thought so, shows their foolishness!! If you think people were upset about the POTENTIAL for giving In-State Tuition to Illegal Aliens, wait until they find out you been subsizidin' 'em and payin' some honcho to sit in the Senate Pro Tem's Office to work on "Hispanic Latino Affairs" which translated means "gettin' stuff for illegals" at the expense of North Carolinians, which is going to create a surge of opposition beyond your wildest expectations!!

Oh.....yeeeeeeeah!!

How long did they think they'd get by with this? Until we found out??

Well.....we found out. They "gave" it up with a silly Form Letter, well, actually TWO FORM LETTERS!!

Thank God for lazy public employees that put their title on their form letters. I guess she thougt this made her look important, didn't realize that discretion would be required to keep her cozy post, and didn't think enough of us to even read the darn emails before she hit the "form" button on her "'puter".

Whatever it was, we're sure glad to know and have this valuable evidence for further query and investigation of this OUTRAGEOUS waste of public funds whose purpose is nothing less than bold discrimination against the citizens of the state of North Carolina by the President Pro Tem of the North Carolina Senate.

And.....I've just GOT TO KNOW who those 600 people were eatin' beef wellington or whatever they were fed.

The vision of them chompin' on free food and talkin' over their woes of defeat, while pattin' themselves on the back is just about enough to make me sick.

The very idea of applaudin' and honorin' a bunch of failures that the people of North Carolina want to "leave the state" entirely is just too IRRATIONAL for words.

Maybe this little gathering could be considered their "Last Supper" on the Public Dole...oh yeeeeeah, tax payer money fed 'em (yep...and cleaned their potties, too)....that's what tax exempt money is.....tax payer money.

Just wait until we get copies of those bills....surge....it's way past a surge...Sir.....we talkin' Tidal Wave of Opposition!

See Pay Boys and Pay Girls...."public charity" money isn't to be spent feedin' and honorin' the RICH and ONCE POWERFUL. Maybe that's how they define it in ARGENTINA....but that isn't how we define public charity in the United States of America!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hi

This is a copy of the email I sent to Jane @ the Raleigh News & Observer. Feel free to copy and paste it and send it to her or as a Letter to the Editor. It speaks the truth!!

It amazes me, and yet it doesn't, to see that the only poll you listed in your article was the push-poll by Elon. In every other poll taken in North Carolina by radio stations, newspapers (including your own) and TV stations, an overwhelming over 90% of North Carolinians voted AGAINST giving in-state tuition to economic terrorists (illegal aliens) in our state.
    Biased reporting in the Raleigh News & Observer? How remarkably unusual! At least you quoted the Governor correctly -- which did not surprise me because HE is your KING! And for once, he is right in this matter. Governor Easley is smart enough to know that our State simply cannot afford this. It is economically unfeasible.
    The economic terrorists cannot glean one more penny from this State's tax paying citizens if we do not allow it. And the voters will not allow it. It's time the elected officials of this State, and your newspaper, it's columnists, reporters, editors, etc. wake up and realize it.
    Before your subscribers decide that we no longer wish to hear from you. People have the option to just stop their subscriptions when they get tired of your biased rhetoric.
    What do ya'll think of it? Think she got my message? wink... wink...

good12me--Grrrrrrrrreat!!

Go Get "em Tiger!!

A biased article, yes indeedy, because they quoted the WRONG POLL, they quoted the push poll, of students, who are not old enough or mature enough to know the consequences of their vote. They quoted the POLL WITH 10% OF THE RESULTS MISSING......our additional 10% they plopped in the trash to manipulate the numbers. It's bad enough to use a PUSH POLL from a university political science professor and his students doing a poll for "training" thtat favors the bill; it's bad enough to throw away 10% of the results; it's BEYOND BAD for a respectable reporter to FAIL TO MENTION the other 3 unbiased, professionally conducted polls, INCLUDING the WRAL poll.

Just goes to show....the bias of the media on illegal immigration...a very strange position for the media of a Free Nation controlled by the people for the people of the Nation.

What is it about them (media) that makes them so different from us (voters)?

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

!

Just goes to show....the bias of the media on illegal immigration...a very strange position for the media of a Free Nation controlled by the people for the people of the Nation.
    Don't you mean "economic terrorists", Miss Judy?

Thanks for the compliment!

My e-mail to Jane Stancil, News&Observer concerning her above article:

Hi Jane,

I wanted to thank you for your article “Tuition Break Bill Set to Falter� and reporting some important facts about this bill which I find totally idiotic to begin with and which should not have even been introduced to begin with. It was an outrageous bill that would take seats away from North Carolina citizens and that alone was enough for it not to enter the hallowed halls of our General Assembly.

In addition, the bill has more to it than meets the eye as people will learn in coming months.

I did want to raise a couple of issues with you.

First, the poll you used, the Elon Poll, was a last minute poll from a University, conducted by students under the direction of their Political Science Professor, as a training session. It was also a push-poll and less accurate than media and professional polls. It was also MISSING 10% of the poll results. I think in fairness to the people of North Carolina and the thousands who voted in the other polls, you perhaps should have included mention of the other polls which showed beyond any shadow of a doubt that the vast majority of North Carolinians oppose this bill because they oppose illegal immigration, the presence of illegal aliens in our midst, and are totally fed up with this whole situation.

Second, I wanted to bring to your attention that under the activities guidelines of the Internal Revenue Code, organizations with 501 C 3 Status are prohibited from LOBBYING ACTIVITIES. They may not perform activities or engage in activities that impact or influence public policy or legislation. I appreciated learning that El Pueblo sponsored a big fanfare for the legislative sponsors of this bill. This is clearly a prohibited activity along with their having introduced the legislation to begin with, part of their legislative agenda, an agenda that is prohibited by the IRS Code governing tax exempt status. If El Pueblo wishes to be a political action group and impact public policy and influence legislation, they are probably free to do so and a political action committee which has no tax exempt status and whose contributions are not tax deductible. El Pueblo is one of 300 national affiliates of the National Council of La Raza which collects about $40,000,000 a year in tax deductible contributions to wage “impact and influence� on the political structure of the United States at all levels of government. Something that is clearly wrong. This is using tax payer money, which is what tax exempt money is, to cheat American Citizens out of their rights, their jobs, their education, their services and benefits, their housing, and every other fabric of daily life in America. Tax exempt organizations with 501 C 3 Status are confined to public charity, which is clearly defined in the IRS Tax Code, and which specifically excludes lobbying activities or anything that even gets close to it.

The National Council of La Raza uses its massive tax exempt contributions, tax payer money, along with its tax exempt status to apply for public grants from the federal and state agencies, additional tax payer money, to push agendas that are tearing this country and our state to pieces.

The In-State Tuition bills pushed all across the country are part of their “Dream Act�.

The Driver’s Licenses issued to illegal aliens pushed all across the country was part of aiding aliens to secure and keep jobs obtained illegally, in violation of EEO requirements.

Where is all this leading? An attempt by the open borders lobby which funds National Council of La Raza and their affiliates like El Pueblo all across the country to flood the country with aliens to change the political voting structure to put in place the power base to merge the United States with Canada and Mexico. The Council on Foreign Relations recommended open borders two weeks ago. The leaders of Canada, Mexico and the USA met a week later to lay the final groundwork. The meeting was in Mexico City and attended by Tony Garza, US Ambassador to Mexico and Carlos Gutierrez, new US Secretary of Commerce. The President wants the details completed within 90 days, according to Tony Garza’s statement at the meeting. The program is called “Security Prosperity Partnership�.

This will flood the United States with more population than it can sustain from countries with no allegiance to the United States.

Open Borders means the end of a sovereign territory and without an independent sovereign territory, there is no sovereignty. Without sovereignty, there is no United States and the future of the American People will be ruled by a Council.

This is not conspiracy theory….this is fact and happening right now.

It’s a remarkable story that has been completely ignored by the Main Stream Media.

This will never fly with the American People. You’ve seen the backlash from covering something as simple in appearance as the NC In-State Tuition Bill. Wait until North Carolinians learn that the President Pro Tempore’s Office of the North Carolina Senate has an Hispanic/Latino Affairs Director underwritten with tax payer money; wait until North Carolinians learn that the North Carolina General Assembly has approved hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants to El Pueblo; wait until North Carolinians learn the vast number of abuses of their money, their laws, their Will.

If Ms. Bazan-Manson thinks its “ugly� now, just wait until North Carolinians learn the whole truth about what politicians in their state in “cahoots� with immigrant proponents have been up to under their noses and behind their backs. Just wait until they find out their Main Stream Media knew all about it all along…….and didn’t report it.

Actions, schemes, plots, discretions, non-disclosure, failure to report, spins, keeping secrets…..to end the United States…..is very serious business……if you get my drift.

I was at Wal-Mart in our town last night, picking up a few things. It was packed….Friday is pay day for a lot of folks.

I would have seen more Americans in Tijuana….so the cat is out of the bag…..and “What’s Afoot� will not fly here…nor should it!

Oh...and BTW...."

Elon University is owned and operated by the United Church of Christ.

Remember who they are? They are a politically active religious organization. They are named as part of the Open Borders Lobby in my article I posted OPEN BORDER LOBBY FORD FOUNDATION.

Elon University is an OBL College.

Hello......OBL!

Gotcha!!!

!!!

Judy -- you are way too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!