Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tuition breaks for troops MIA, Tuition for illegals ok

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegio ... eid=152036

$tingy thanks for Iraq duty: Funds for tuition waivers MIA
    By Dave Wedge and Laura Crimaldi/ Exclusive
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 - Updated: 11:27 AM EST

Lawmakers have slammed the classroom door shut on Massachusetts soldiers home from Iraq and seeking to go to state college, failing to cough up $8 million needed for crucial tuition waivers.
    Army and Air National Guard soldiers expecting to be rewarded for their war duty under Gov. Mitt Romney’s “Welcome Home” bill found the welcome mat ripped out last week by the Legislature as it ended its formal session without approving money for the waivers.
    “One of the main reasons I joined the Army was to get money to go to college,” said David Cowing, 23, of Rockland, an Iraq war veteran who is taking out at least $3,500 in loans to cover tuition for his first year at UMass-Boston because his benefits won’t kick in in time to pay the first bills.
    “I went and fought in Iraq. I shouldn’t have to worry about tuition. I should be able to go wherever I want.”
    Lashing out at the “wrong priorities” of lawmakers, Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey said, “The Legislature has made the appalling decision to vote on things like tuition breaks for illegal immigrants, but they couldn’t take the time to take a vote to help our Massachusetts war heroes . . . I find it deeply disturbing.”
    National Guard officials say the bureaucratic red tape has left some soldiers scrambling to meet tuition costs.
    “It appears that some schools are honoring the tuition fee waivers and some are not,” said National Guard spokesman Maj. Winfield Danielson. “We remain hopeful that the Legislature will fund the tuition waiver in an informal session.”
    At Framingham State College, where 17 National Guard members enrolled last year, administrators said they plan to honor the fee waiver and petition the Board of Higher Education for reimbursement.
    “We’re not going to deny any National Guard member who presents a certificate of eligibility to us,” said Dean of Admissions Philip Dooher. “The money will wind its way back here. We’re not asking them to front it.”
    Other state school officials said yesterday they were unsure as to how to proceed.
    “We have to comply with what the legislation says and we’re in the process of trying to figure that out,” said Brian Baldwin, a Bridgewater State College spokesman.
    A UMass-Boston spokesman said the school will continue to honor the tuition waiver for veterans, and advocate for better benefits for soldiers.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Lawmakers in MA defeated in-state tuition for illegal aliens earlier this year.

W
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Oklahoma leaders barred illegals from getting instate tuition.
    Build the dam fence post haste!