Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Two men convicted of transporting illegal immigrants

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3028415

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa One of two men found guilty of transporting eight illegal immigrants across the country has been sentenced to two years in federal prison.

Efrain Garcia-Gonon, of Guatemala, was sentenced yesterday (Wednesday) in U.S. District Court in Cedar Rapids. The 30-year-old Garcia-Gonon and 39-year-old Carlos Macario-Chavez, of Mexico, were convicted by a federal jury last November.

The two men were pulled over for a routine traffic stop August 4th on Interstate 80 near Victor. Police say they were transporting eight illegal immigrants from Los Angeles to Chicago.

Police say Garcia-Gonon recruited Macario-Chavez to help transport the illegal immigrants. The two men were charged September 1st.

Macario-Chavez is still awaiting sentencing.

_________

He gets two years and then what? I'm sure he will only serve 3/4 of his sentence (unless he gets off earlier for good behavior). Guess he will be back on the streets transporting illegals on his release. I've heard of cases where someone (legal citizen) bounced a check/didn't return a library book and got more time.

http://www.kwqc.com/Global/story.asp?S=3028415

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa One of two men found guilty of transporting eight illegal immigrants across the country has been sentenced to two years in federal prison.

Efrain Garcia-Gonon, of Guatemala, was sentenced yesterday (Wednesday) in U.S. District Court in Cedar Rapids. The 30-year-old Garcia-Gonon and 39-year-old Carlos Macario-Chavez, of Mexico, were convicted by a federal jury last November.

The two men were pulled over for a routine traffic stop August 4th on Interstate 80 near Victor. Police say they were transporting eight illegal immigrants from Los Angeles to Chicago.

Police say Garcia-Gonon recruited Macario-Chavez to help transport the illegal immigrants. The two men were charged September 1st.

Macario-Chavez is still awaiting sentencing.

_________

He gets two years and then what? I'm sure he will only serve 3/4 of his sentence (unless he gets off earlier for good behavior). Guess he will be back on the streets transporting illegals on his release. I've heard of cases where someone (legal citizen) bounced a check/didn't return a library book and got more time.